Fordmods Logo

isc and carby clean 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: isc and carby clean
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

cleaned out the TB in the car today. smoothed out the idle HEAPS and generally runs a bit better.

only thing is i dont think the isc is working at all. the car will start and just die. and the only thing that can keep it going is to have your foot on the accelerator a little. i took out the butterfly valve plate and cleaned it well but didnt pay attention to the way it was in before i took it out. i was thinking that could be it as there was no gap around the plate i could see when i put it back in. for the mean time ive just set the idle screew in a bit.

i also sprayed some in to the isc. is that a no no? its just that it doesnt seem to be trying to find idle. it just drops off for no reason.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

try diagnostics - i have been tuning the gas on my XH and it is coming up with code 411 and 412 (ISC failures) occasionally

edit: carby cleaner will be fine in the isc

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

if your throtle body was really bad, you may need to reset your idle.

i had the same problem and reset my idle everything fine now.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

na, i did that and it didnt help. when the engine is cold the thing is an absolute pig.

when its warm it doesnt skip a beat. i upped the idle manually, but i dont think the isc is working. is there any way to test it? what about the butterfly plate? is there any special way around its meant to be?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

If you take off the inlet to the TB and start engine diagnostic mode the revs will pick up then drop off. You should hear sucking within the TB if so the ISC is working.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im thinking it might have something to do with the tb expanding with heat?

i gave it a bit of a poke when it first start and the revs stuck high so i did it again and they stayed higher.
however, the car (seemed) to be working the isc so i dont know. maybe after i sprayed it, i left it upside down and some greasy crap didnt drain?

still looking for an answer about the tb plate too?? (Please?)

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I have been having dramas with my ISC as well lately. I wasn't sure that it was working so I removed it. At first throttle body mounting point uncovered, the engine would start and snuff out without throttle (as it probably should). It did run badly with throttle. I covered the air holes with race tape and placed a very small hole in the side of one hole of the throttle body mouning point (There are 2 holes). Car idled okay but found optimum idle when holes was enlarged slightly. Perfect idle, no problems. ISC back on bad idle again. I believe that my ISC may be opened to far allowing too much air into the system. I had a dodgy gasket a few years back which caused the idle to rev much higher. Was only the slightest of leaks but it made a difference. I am no guru but perhaps you might try my little experiment to see if the manual air intake (holes in the tape) relieves the problem. If it does it sounds like the likely culprit. I was quoted $160.00 (Trade) for a new unit. NOTE HOME HACK TEST was on an EBII 4.0L no mods. Before you try it get some informed opinions on the reliability and relevance of my hack. It worked for me.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

maxnett wrote:
I have been having dramas with my ISC as well lately. I wasn't sure that it was working so I removed it. At first throttle body mounting point uncovered, the engine would start and snuff out without throttle (as it probably should). It did run badly with throttle. I covered the air holes with race tape and placed a very small hole in the side of one hole of the throttle body mouning point (There are 2 holes). Car idled okay but found optimum idle when holes was enlarged slightly. Perfect idle, no problems. ISC back on bad idle again. I believe that my ISC may be opened to far allowing too much air into the system. I had a dodgy gasket a few years back which caused the idle to rev much higher. Was only the slightest of leaks but it made a difference. I am no guru but perhaps you might try my little experiment to see if the manual air intake (holes in the tape) relieves the problem. If it does it sounds like the likely culprit. I was quoted $160.00 (Trade) for a new unit. NOTE HOME HACK TEST was on an EBII 4.0L no mods. Before you try it get some informed opinions on the reliability and relevance of my hack. It worked for me.

throttle body mount mounting point?

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
maxnett wrote:

throttle body mount mounting point?

I've tried to attach photographs to show you the mounting point. You'll notice grey goop in the base of the ISC. This was to repair a crack . So far is works well. The glue is called JB Weld. Super strong. Claims to be as strong as weld.

I covered the two holes at the throttle body with tape. Then cut holes until I found a good idle. I knew the ISC was operating when putting it back on and connecting the wires the air immediately sucked through the air cleaner. With the wire unplugged little or no air passed through the air cleaner.

A small leak in the gasket produced RPM of 1100 when the ISC was reconnected from 750 disconnected.

If anyone knows that what I have described is actually a faulty ISC please tell me, cos dumbass me knows no better.

sincere regards

Attachments:
Throttle body 003 Standard e-mail view.jpg
Throttle body 003 Standard e-mail view.jpg [ 102.85 KiB | Viewed 434 times ]
Throttle body 001 Standard e-mail view.jpg
Throttle body 001 Standard e-mail view.jpg [ 153.26 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]

Post subject: Re: isc and carby clean
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
cleaned out the TB in the car today. smoothed out the idle HEAPS and generally runs a bit better.

only thing is i dont think the isc is working at all. the car will start and just die. and the only thing that can keep it going is to have your foot on the accelerator a little. i took out the butterfly valve plate and cleaned it well but didnt pay attention to the way it was in before i took it out. i was thinking that could be it as there was no gap around the plate i could see when i put it back in. for the mean time ive just set the idle screew in a bit.

i also sprayed some in to the isc. is that a no no? its just that it doesnt seem to be trying to find idle. it just drops off for no reason.

I've just read your description of the idle problem again and realised where you said your engine runs and just dies, that is the same symptoms as when I start the car with the ISC off the engine. (ie too much air) with the slenoid disconnected but ISC fitted you can set your base idle.

This is where I notice that little or no air passes through the air cleaner. Connect the wire and engine sucks strong airflow through air cleaner. The slight air leak through the ISC to Throttle body raised engine RPM to 1100 but returned to 750 with disconnected wire. Fixing the leak solved the higher RPM gremlin.

From this I tend to think that your ISC is sticking or has a bad connection and allowing too much air to flow. I am trial and error guessing. What is your thoughts or have you tried it and fixed your problem?

sincere regards,

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the revs are sitting at somewhere between 550-675 at idle so thats WAY too low. i'm dam sure that isc isn't doing its thing now.

as i was driving past a wreakers tonight, i saw the door was open so i quickly ducked in. the guy was drinking a beer and told me to go away and come back tomorrow as they were closed (as you'd expect)

gave me an off the top of his head quote of $30 for one. could be s**t before i even use it (i assume) but is it worth a shot for the price? he says 30 days money back too...

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
the revs are sitting at somewhere between 550-675 at idle so thats WAY too low. i'm dam sure that isc isn't doing its thing now.

as i was driving past a wreakers tonight, i saw the door was open so i quickly ducked in. the guy was drinking a beer and told me to go away and come back tomorrow as they were closed (as you'd expect)

gave me an off the top of his head quote of $30 for one. could be s**t before i even use it (i assume) but is it worth a shot for the price? he says 30 days money back too...

All the best with the second hand ISC. Let me know how you go. $30.00 sounds reasonable if it works well. Don't forget to get a new gasket. I have found them hard to get at Bursons, Repco etc.

sincere regards,

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

maxnett wrote:
fiftyone wrote:

All the best with the second hand ISC. Let me know how you go. $30.00 sounds reasonable if it works well. Don't forget to get a new gasket. I have found them hard to get at Bursons, Repco etc.

sincere regards,

tee'd up a deal with FTG auto (pimp the sponsor guys) to have one posted.

did a test today, set the revs manually to 750rpm and then put my finger over the hole where the isc inlet is in the throttle body. made no difference to the revs, no suctcion on my finger either. i dc'd it to and got no difference. i'd say thats a f**k isc pritty much. in doing so i also ran over my foot too, but i'd rather not discuss that too much.

as for your gasket problem maxnett, a korn Flakes Packet is your friend. as its not taking varst quantities of heat or vacume / pressure it will work if you just trace yourself a pattern. i've done it a few times for small engines. not many places will ever sell it, ford dont even sell the throttle body gasket!

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
maxnett wrote:
fiftyone wrote:

sincere regards,

tee'd up a deal with FTG auto (pimp the sponsor guys) to have one posted.

did a test today, set the revs manually to 750rpm and then put my finger over the hole where the isc inlet is in the throttle body. made no difference to the revs, no suctcion on my finger either. i dc'd it to and got no difference. i'd say thats a f**k isc pritty much. in doing so i also ran over my foot too, but i'd rather not discuss that too much.

as for your gasket problem maxnett, a korn Flakes Packet is your friend. as its not taking varst quantities of heat or vacume / pressure it will work if you just trace yourself a pattern. i've done it a few times for small engines. not many places will ever sell it, ford dont even sell the throttle body gasket!

Thanks fifty-one for the corn flakes gasket pack tip.

It concerns me that you had no suction from the throttle body at the ISC inlet. Mine sucks at that point when the engine is running, that is why I had to cover with tape then insert holes to find a reasonable idle. The engine would turnover fire but snuff out immediately uncovered. The air did not appear to be sucking through the air filter box until the ISC was fitted and working.

When you cleaned your throttle body, did you disassemble it in some way and maybe not reinstalled it correctly. I'm thinking that something is bypassing your ISC or at least blocking it. With the ISC removed, it should not run, if my engine is operating correctly. Perhaps look at the throttle body a bit more. I'll check my workshop manual to see if there is something there that may help.

Good luck with the foot.

sincere regards,

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:25 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
in doing so i also ran over my foot too, but i'd rather not discuss that too much.

No... Please discuss it with us. You might end up being the new Till. :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next