Its Possessed 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Its Possessed
Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF

QLD, Australia

Hi Guys,

Well I would first of all like to say what a fantastic forum you have here.

I have an EF Falcon Station wagon and a have a few issues that am not sure whats the cause.

First of all the owner before me has been just using water and no coolant and for the past six months the main bottom radiator hose has been leaking, I have had other things on my plate until this weekend so today pulled the hose off only to find that the pipe coming from the pump was shot anyway so I replaced the pump and pipe and put it all back together again.

I probably should flush it out before I put coolant in, whats the best way to go about that?

When I go for a drive and the motor is hot it doesn't want to start leave it for 30mins and come back and all is good, I have been reading that it could be the crank sensors fault whats everyones thoughts on that and what is a crank sensor, anyway of checking it :? .

Whilst the engine is running I seem to be able to smell unburnt fuel this wasn't the case some months ago but then again I don't normally go around sniffing exhausts :) could I be burning more fuel then I am using?

And last of all :D

When I lock the car with my key (the remote is stuffed) at times the doors lock then they unlock then lock again, this could happen six or seven times before It finally locks the wife thinks the car is possessed lol but I have no idea what could be causing this?

Sorry about the waffle guys any help would be appreciated.

Willy

Why Why Why

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Read this post about the crank angle sensor...

http://fordmods.com/forums/argghh-ef-fa ... 61775.html

As for flushing radiator I use a garden hose and also undo a heater hose that goes into the firewall and flush through this too..won't hurt to clean the overflow bottle if full of crap..I cleaned mine with Bicarb soda,worked great....

A flat battery will cause the lock then unlock issue you mentioned-failing a new battery then perhaps the BEM unit?

Hope this helps....

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Few little problems there!

BEM (body electrics module) could be your starting issues,
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... eplacement

To test it, smack the panel near your left knee and try turning it on.
Alternatively, it could be the ignition barrel or crank angle etc.

Dancing door locks
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... ng%20locks

smell:

Check for leakage under the exhaust manifold (around cyls 5-6) this is the most common place for coolant and other contaminants get vaporised.

and ....Welcome!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF

QLD, Australia

Thanks for that guys I will look into this stuff today .

Dancing door locks thats a funny way of putting it maybe I can start a new dance craze :lol:

Why Why Why

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

As Krytox said, tap the panel above your left knee, but hold the ignition key on as though you were starting it. The BCM gets a few dry joints in it as the years progress. I often have to do this.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the fuel smell may be coming from your charcole canister, the canister purge solenoid maybe stuffed..

its located on the passenger side front, infront of the wheel behind the guard..

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Post subject: Re: Its Possessed
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

Snip
<When I lock the car with my key (the remote is stuffed) at times the doors lock then they unlock then lock again, this could happen six or seven times before It finally locks the wife thinks the car is possessed lol but I have no idea what could be causing this? >

My experience, I have an EL wagon, ex taxi. One previous owner, many ,many miles. Running perfect when we bought it, sadly, I have let it deteriorate and am now paying for my sins. LOL. Just started refurbishing things.
About my door locks, they were doing exactly the same as you mention. Probably not relevant, but, the fault may give you some further hints.
The rear door self lock mechanism was buggered. Someone had damaged the connecting shaft. Quick fix, removed the shaft and the self locking mechanism started closing ok. I havent replaced it because I did'nt see the point in spending money for the rear door. Wreckers in Alice Springs charge thru the roof.
Although I havent looked at the locking mechanisms further, I "speculate" that the self locking mechanism may have a "contact close" sensor ? Correct me if I'm wrong. There were quite a number of wires leaving the rear door locking mechanism. Could be something similar on the rest of the doors too, if the BEM module connector pins are not faulty.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]