Fordmods Logo

j3 what to expect 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: j3 what to expect
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ba mk2 xr8

NSW, Australia

what kind of power increase to expect just wondering what others have goten i just brought a custom j3 i have 2 1/2 redback exhaust excractors pod cold air xr6 head shaved 40 thow and a port and polish on a vrs race head gasket kit and its a menual any one got any ideas what to expect

Post subject: Re: j3 what to expect
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:52 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

and a wade 1673 cam

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Was the J3 tuned to your modifications or just a generic? You did say custom J3, but that could be anything.

I would hazard a guess between 140-160rwkw...depending on how healthy everything is.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

sorry to thread jack, just curious i rang wade cams yesterday and they suggested that the 1673 cam was more suited to manual and suggested i use the 1636, ive got extractors, cat and exhaust done, phong, i see you have 1673 can you comment?

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:19 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

nah i just orderd a custom j3 from t.i.perfomance will get it put on the dyno asap

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Chargd wrote:
sorry to thread jack, just curious i rang wade cams yesterday and they suggested that the 1673 cam was more suited to manual and suggested i use the 1636, ive got extractors, cat and exhaust done, phong, i see you have 1673 can you comment?

Mine is manual...so it wouldn't be an issue for me. I was told you might have idling/stalling issues in a stock auto...a stall convertor might help but is better suited for a manual. I had stalling and idle hunt issues with the stock auto ECU (resistor trick), mainly after ECU reset (understandable) and when I push the clutch in after a steady cruise (freeway/highway) the RPM would drop to stall or near stall...to remedy this I did heal and toe to stop it from stalling while braking. I don't think you would have this issue if the car was a manual to begin with.

Can't really say much else besides it was a great improvement over the stock/XR6 cam power/torque wise, while the J3 has now stopped all idle/stalling issues.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:21 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Chargd wrote:

not realy i have only got the cam recently so sorry :P

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
I don't think you would have this issue if the car was a manual to begin with.

Unfortunately you do. I had the exact problem. Although im a bit p****d now as now im back to a stock XR6 motor I found that the issue was with my 02 sensor :-/

So maybe it would still happen maybe it wouldnt. Either way my idle still isnt perfect.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Chargd wrote:

Mine is manual...so it wouldn't be an issue for me. I was told you might have idling/stalling issues in a stock auto...a stall convertor might help but is better suited for a manual. I had stalling and idle hunt issues with the stock auto ECU (resistor trick), mainly after ECU reset (understandable) and when I push the clutch in after a steady cruise (freeway/highway) the RPM would drop to stall or near stall...to remedy this I did heal and toe to stop it from stalling while braking. I don't think you would have this issue if the car was a manual to begin with.

Can't really say much else besides it was a great improvement over the stock/XR6 cam power/torque wise, while the J3 has now stopped all idle/stalling issues.

ill just stick to the 1636, he said idle wouldnt change alot, i didnt realise your car was manual phong, thanks for the info

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:57 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

so what mods have ppl got preducing what sort of power

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

rhys.c wrote:
phongus wrote:

Unfortunately you do. I had the exact problem. Although im a bit p****d now as now im back to a stock XR6 motor I found that the issue was with my 02 sensor :-/

So maybe it would still happen maybe it wouldnt. Either way my idle still isnt perfect.

Hmm that's odd...I'm running the J3 with XR6 mapping and it's running fine. So pretty much running an XR6 Manual ECU :?

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:45 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

my ef wasnet a manuel i just put a manuel box in dident evan change the ecu and it runs fine with the 1673 cam in it

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
rhys.c wrote:
phongus wrote:

Hmm that's odd...I'm running the J3 with XR6 mapping and it's running fine. So pretty much running an XR6 Manual ECU :?

yeh I think there might be something else affecting it as well. Im gonna swap the coilpack and see if that fixes it. Ive got a weird sound coming from my exhaust, sounds like induction noise but its coming out the rear end. Thinking I might have a weak spark and be getting incomplete combustion. Hence weird noise and idle?

Worth a shot I reckon.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]