Fordmods Logo

JMM 

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:23 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ed falcon

NSW, Australia

I wasn't actively comparing dyno's I was just saying that none of them are acurate. So anyone who thinks the every dyno except jjm is within 5kw of each other needs to pay a bit more attention to the operator and how he fiddles with the compennsation rate.

HSV I JUST BEAT ONE !

AFF 05 NSW DYNO DAY STATE CHAMP

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:36 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU1 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

Exactly.
The skew in readouts from dyno to dyno is huge, JMM and everyone else included.
In the end its a tool to make a before and after comparison...on the same dyno, prefferably on the same day.

The only time you can compare 2 different cars is at a dyno day and even then there is some error factor involved.

Just to prove a point, run your car on a dyno then reduce the rear tyres pressures by 10psi. Tell me how big a difference it is...I'm betting at least 10rwkw.

AU XR6 VCT 14.57 @ 92.92mph.
Auto - NA - Unopened
Proudly tuned and prepared by G&D Performance Tuning - Get the Edge!

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:06 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Thank you someone who see's sence at last :)

HSV I JUST BEAT ONE !

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

No need to be like that neil :wink: Although I havnt been in it I feel by the work that you have done to your ED should make the thing go like the clappers, and spider does nothing but praise your car. I know that the jmm stuff works cause Ive got jmm headers and not many other relatively stock cars got higher dyno readouts last dyno day than I did. I think that the only other stockish cars were useless with his std AU and Concorde with his tickford powered fairlane

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:42 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
No need to be like that neil :wink: Although I havnt been in it I feel by the work that you have done to your ED should make the thing go like the clappers, and spider does nothing but praise your car. I know that the jmm stuff works cause Ive got jmm headers and not many other relatively stock cars got higher dyno readouts last dyno day than I did. I think that the only other stockish cars were useless with his std AU and Concorde with his tickford powered fairlane

LOL, Useless has race headers and a streetfighter cam in his. Actually, its a dev 4 but was the prototype cam JMM used when they developed the streetfigher cam. Its a one off....certainly not stock.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

well that makes me feel a little better, the fact that only one other car of similar spec was higher powered, and he had a 3.45 diff and tickford running gear. even cars running bigger spec cams ie wade 1004 and full exhaust systems didnt beat the mockies

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:55 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well, just for the curious:
After all the stuff that has happened to my car over the last 18 months I thought it would be interesting to take the dyno graphs I had and compare them on one page to see the changes.
I plotted them all out and, with excel, added them to a graph. Actually very interesting. One thing that amused me is that now the latest power curve STARTS almost 10rwkw MORE than the original peak power with the dead MAP. Anyhow, I thought it was interesting.

who said a VCT has no power?

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:35 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon MkII

WA, Australia

Nice reaction time there Casper. 3.359 seconds!!!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Kel.
BHR
A/MD 1272
240 inch Dragster
466 Big Block Ford
650hp
8.40 @ 156mph (251kph)

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:38 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Epitome wrote:
Nice reaction time there Casper. 3.359 seconds!!!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

lol, the radio needed channel surfing and I had a scratch to itch. lol :wink:

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:45 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Don't mean to be like that just get frustraited sometimes :)
Yeah she goes alright, always room for improvement :D

Casper
Yours must go alright too good power for the mods you've done.

HSV I JUST BEAT ONE !

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

isnt the reaction hundredths of a second? in this case.. 0.3359?

Otherwise a snappy reaction would've taken 3.359 seconds off the 15 second run and would make this a 12 second car.. plus he would've completed 60' one second before reaction :shock:

The world of drags is new to me :)

Anyhow, that car seems to fly for what it is. ^jAsE^ in his Dev5 5sp Manual EL has a best of 14.9, with some traction issues.

Theres an unbelievable amount of truth that you need the ability to tune these cars to really gain. Alot of people say for example 'Dev 4- yeh, runs on stock ECU no problem'. Define run! Idles? Yeh.. kinda idles. Leans and Enriches as it pleases throughout the rev range, pings occasionaly. Hmm. At the end of the day its good for xxxRWKW. Throw some decent engine management on top, with some time on the dyno and on the road and you'll gain.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:09 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
isnt the reaction hundredths of a second? in this case.. 0.3359?

Otherwise a snappy reaction would've taken 3.359 seconds off the 15 second run and would make this a 12 second car.. plus he would've completed 60' one second before reaction :shock:

The world of drags is new to me :)

No, the reaction time is 3.3 seconds.It could have been 10 seconds, it does not count towards the total time.
It is the time from when the light goes green to when the car starts to move. The actual ET time only starts once the car starts to move. Hope this makes some sense.

Waggin wrote:
Anyhow, that car seems to fly for what it is. ^jAsE^ in his Dev5 5sp Manual EL has a best of 14.9, with some traction issues.

A Dev5 manual should be doing around the low 14's, theres a few of them doing that now.
I dont think that 15.0 is all that fast to be honest, I'm aiming for a 14.5 before the end of the year...still with an auto and still with entirely factory internals and cam.
It really is a case of doing some homework, finding out what works and then matching the mods to suit. The VCT is abit tricky but has a lot of untapped power...with the right mods.

Waggin wrote:
Theres an unbelievable amount of truth that you need the ability to tune these cars to really gain. Alot of people say for example 'Dev 4- yeh, runs on stock ECU no problem'. Define run! Idles? Yeh.. kinda idles. Leans and Enriches as it pleases throughout the rev range, pings occasionaly. Hmm. At the end of the day its good for xxxRWKW.

yes, tuning is critical. Fortunatly for me, I have a completely stock motor so idle is just like factory...EXACTLY like factory :D

Waggin wrote:
Throw some decent engine management on top, with some time on the dyno and on the road and you'll gain.

You bet, since I ran that time I've had a Chiptorque chip put in. On a hot afternoon at Heathcote it managed a 15.09 (we are talking a LOT hotter than when I ran the 15.02) and, more importantly, dropped the 60" time to 2.20 flat. I think, on a cool night, the car is good for an easy 14.9 and maybe a 14.8 now.

Next step, getting the CT chip custom tuned.

Anyhow, back on topic, I'd say that the JMM race headers and under bonnet tweaks work pretty well. Dyno or not, the track doesnt lie.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Thanks for explainng the RT and ET. Is the 'winner' determined by who crosses the line first, of the lower ET?

When I said you car flies, I was referring to the fact that you've knocked 1-1.5 seconds off your quater mile with just an exhaust and a chip. Pretty impressive when you think about it.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:27 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Thanks for explainng the RT and ET. Is the 'winner' determined by who crosses the line first, of the lower ET?

in a traditional "drag race" like in ESPN its the person who crosses the line first that is the winner. The sort of drag racing is called "heads up" racing and is basically the first to the line is the winner, regardless of times. It also gives the reaction time a meaning as, even with a slower ET time, a driver can win by getting a better reaction time. This is also known as winning in a holeshot. Basically, their reaction was faster and, even though the other car had a quicker ET, it wasnt enough to make up the reaction time difference so they lost.[/quote]

Waggin wrote:
When I said you car flies, I was referring to the fact that you've knocked 1-1.5 seconds off your quater mile with just an exhaust and a chip. Pretty impressive when you think about it.

Yes, I think its not too bad too. Also gets back to the quality of the gear too. I'm not going to go on a JMM love feast, I dont need to. Their gear works on my car and a lot of others. I looked into it for over a year before getting these mods, and it shows.
The 14.xx second I6 is a rare car still....a 14.xx second auto I6 is MUCH rarer and a 14.xx second auto I6 with stock internals is bloody well close to unheard of.

I personally will not use anyone else BUT JMM now, they have a proven record and I have seen it all first hand now.

Auto - NA - Unopened

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the Drags 101 Lesson. :D

I have no doubt in the JMM gear either, my Dev5a kit w/ unichip was very strong while the bottom end lasted. The general rule is that you get what you pay for, and at the end of the day most of the people bagging JMM don't have any JMM enhancements.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next