Fordmods Logo

just alittle more power... 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: just alittle more power...
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 93 eb2 falcon

QLD, Australia

since I last posted, I've replaced the headgasket, dont ask! and installed a venom highflow cat and have a brand new J3 chip with a stock ED XR6 pre-program.
after the head gasket went on im having this blogging down and sometimes stalling issue! I have to roll the throttle on really slowly to try and avoid bogging, both stand still and drivingI also tried using the J3 chip, but exhuast started blowing black smoke and really rough idle so i think i'll have to wait to get that tuned on the dyno. looking back at my dyno sheet, 164.4rwhp (122rwkw) seems abit ordinary for the mods i have done, in my opinion anyway. what do you guys think?

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I've still got this fkn bogging/ spluttering problem, I've rest the ecu, no differance, cleaned TB and ISC, listen for any air leaks and cant hear any, I'm at wits end with this issue and cant afford to go to a mechanic! any ideas guys?

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

How does it go with the j3 removed ?
If it was fine before the head change then problems accured after the head change you have done something wrong possibly, check the hose to your Map sensor hasn't fallen off,

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Yes check that hose another bloke had this problem the other day and it was the hose to the map sensor

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I haven't gotten the J3 to run yet, fuel pump just keeps making its whirling noise, I'm gussing the ecu port still has alittle bit of s**t on it, this issue is unrelated to the J3, as fair as i can see the map sensor is still on, what is the likely hood of the the sensor crappin it's self?

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Check the hose coming off the manifold that goes to the map sensor, check all vacuum hoses that are connected to the manifold , it's possible the map senor could be stuffed

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

all the vacuum hoses look like there on ok, I just pulled the map sensor hose off while the car was idling and it dropped in revs and run real rough!

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah it'll do that lol.
Backtrack what u did when u changed the head cos something ain't Right, it valves could be stuffed, or Ur engine , that would explain why your not making as much power as u should , or could be the dyno operator

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

the head is making fairly loud ticking noise, since the regrind cam went in, so i assume the extra shims never actually went in, but it seemed fine before the head gasket was replaced. I knew I needed stronger springs, but I shouldn't have stuffed the valves yet...

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That would be the lifters ticking , once they pump up with oil they will quiet down, unless the shim went in the wrong way then they won't get any oil. How long they been noisy for?
U might need new ones, but id be finding out if the shim was in the right way,

On one side of the shim there will be a straight line marked on it,
The other side will be 3 markings like a triangle , now when u look down the little hole on top of the lifter u should see the straight line ,the triangle side should be facing down, now I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me lol

But I think that's how they go,

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I have no idea about the shims, I got the head a big port n polish and valve work, I told the shop It would be used with a regrind cam, which I supplied the spec of the cam, and they told me they would put in extra shims to suit.... its been loud since I put the head and cam on the engine just before Christmas.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

ok. I've called the port n polish joint and had a chat to the manager, and it looks like he added a extra shim to each valve spring to raise the spring pressure! so that means theres no extra shims in the rocker assembly! could there be damage to the valve by now? having the extra shim in the spring would it necessary to get crow spring anymore? and can I get these rocker shims from a hardware(just normal washers)

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ranio wrote:
ok. I've called the port n polish joint and had a chat to the manager, and it looks like he added a extra shim to each valve spring to raise the spring pressure! so that means theres no extra shims in the rocker assembly! could there be damage to the valve by now? having the extra shim in the spring would it necessary to get crow spring anymore? and can I get these rocker shims from a hardware(just normal washers)

Without the extra shim in the rocker arm, means the valves won't open fully...thus draining you of many horses.

If you can, pop into a pick-a-part or something similar and pull them out of the rocker assembly...if you want to be nice tell them you are grabbing these, if the guy doesn't know what it is you might get it for free...if not just throw them in your tool box.

Better yet, get a whole spare rocker assembly if you can get it for cheap at a DIY yard. I got mine for under $30 with spare shims and lifters.

Go to Ford if you want new...hardware/nuts/bolts stores won't sell the right one.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
ranio wrote:

Without the extra shim in the rocker arm, means the valves won't open fully...thus draining you of many horses.

If you can, pop into a pick-a-part or something similar and pull them out of the rocker assembly...if you want to be nice tell them you are grabbing these, if the guy doesn't know what it is you might get it for free...if not just throw them in your tool box.

Better yet, get a whole spare rocker assembly if you can get it for cheap at a DIY yard. I got mine for under $30 with spare shims and lifters.

Go to Ford if you want new...hardware/nuts/bolts stores won't sell the right one.

I've call around and no1 can help, but I do have a complete spare head back in Toowoomba so I might have to go for a drive out there this weekend! thanks for all the help guys I'll let you know i go!

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Definatly get those shims in, that's why it's ticking and running like s**t,

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next