just cant win 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: just cant win
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hi I hope someone can offer some direction for me to try now!
My EL fairmont ghia did the aux distributor shaft recently, I normally do all my own mechanical work but at moment have stuffed hip and knee on opposite leg so basically can hardly stand and figured i had better get someone else to do the work so i got mechanic to take out engine and clean and put shaft and matching distributor cog in it put back together and get going! well im not sure exactly what has been done but prior to the teeth on aux shaft stripping due to whoever owned it before me had had same problem and hadn't put oil pump back together properly and used wrong dissy but it used to be a beast you only had to put your toe near the accelerator and it took off smoothly and would push passengers back in their seat if i pushed it a little but now its a dog the accelerator goes nearly all the way to the floor before it struggles to take off it seems quite a bit quieter as well?
before i realized the aux shaft was the problem i ripped the original exhaust off thinking i might have partially blocked cat and put good cat and old sports exhaust off ef i use for spares now so it should be too loud but it isn't? it does have the wrong fuel regulator in it at moment as mechanic saw old one was bit bent and said it would be no good and replaced with 270kpa one instead of 300kpa as they are getting hard to get now! it pop through exhaust and when you rev in neutral its slow and doesn't respond like it should at all not even close? Help!

Post subject: Re: just cant win
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

sounds like the timing could be out or hes put a dud fuel reg back on the car? check the ignition timing, check the cam timing and if these are both correct id try another fuel reg

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

thanks mate i have bought proper fuel regulator off guy from this site and am waiting for it to turn up!
maybe mechanic didnt put it in base timing mode before setting timing but you think they should know what they are doing hey as they charge like wounded bulls!

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

yeah well i recently worked on my brothers ed as it was the slowest car i have ever driven!!
it had the base timing set at 0 degrees when the ed is ment to be set at 8 or 10(what ever the other marking is on the left) and the el is ment to be base set at 0, it made a hell of a difference altho still quite slower than it should of been,
the reason i would be checking cam timing is because he would of had to do all that when he changed the aux shaft and it could be out a tooth resulting in a slower car, but it could most definatly be the ignition timing

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]