Fordmods Logo

Just changed headgasket... Now broken auxiliary shaft... 

 

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:27 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 48

Posts: 1061

Joined: 7th Sep 2007

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

Location: Brookfield
VIC, Australia

I would try heating the block with an oxy torch and spraying freezer spray at the shaft. you may be just able to get it to come out. there is no such thing as seized permanently unless it has welded itself in which is unlikely. Since it was running previously You should be able to shock it out. I have released a lot of jammed parts this way, old rusty pipes etc.

 

_________________

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:18 am 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

i think
the whole problem was created by a over tight cam chain.

i just changed the cam in my car and when i fitted it i didnt release the chain tensioner.
and when it fired it up it had that whine sound from the front on the timing case.
after a few mins i decided to kill it and look at what was wrong before it did damage.
the chain was to tight.
after removing the tensioner and re-setting it.the whine went away.
and afaik the aux gear is the week point in the chain set up..
so a over tight cam chain = dead aux shaft.or extreme guide wear.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:29 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
i think
the whole problem was created by a over tight cam chain.

i just changed the cam in my car and when i fitted it i didnt release the chain tensioner.
and when it fired it up it had that whine sound from the front on the timing case.
after a few mins i decided to kill it and look at what was wrong before it did damage.
the chain was to tight.
after removing the tensioner and re-setting it.the whine went away.
and afaik the aux gear is the week point in the chain set up..
so a over tight cam chain = dead aux shaft.or extreme guide wear.


I thought the the timing chain tensioner is a self tensioning unit? You just release it and it springs and tensions the tensioner? So how exactly can you over tighten it?... BTW I am doing my timing chain tensioner at the moment and I don't plan on snapping anything...so help is appreciated.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

phongus, i assume he meant, he changed the cam over without trying to let any tension off the chain, and when he slipped the cam gear back on it was too tight, cause the tensioner shifted out trying to regain tension
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2945

Joined: 24th Jan 2005

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
I would try heating the block with an oxy torch and spraying freezer spray at the shaft. you may be just able to get it to come out. there is no such thing as seized permanently unless it has welded itself in which is unlikely. Since it was running previously You should be able to shock it out. I have released a lot of jammed parts this way, old rusty pipes etc.


Like I said buddy. It aint coming out. I used everything imaginable. Including what you just said. Besides, there'd more than likely be metal shavings in the oil by this stage which writes off the block anyway.

I agree with phongus. It's what I've thought all along. play in the chain could cause the shaft to seize. It would also explain the massive amount of chain rattle I was getting just before the shaft seized.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
phongus, i assume he meant, he changed the cam over without trying to let any tension off the chain, and when he slipped the cam gear back on it was too tight, cause the tensioner shifted out trying to regain tension


Oh right...was tired and must've read it wrong :?...need more sleep :D.

Thanks FordFairmont for pointing that out :D.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:16 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1452

Joined: 27th Apr 2005

Ride: BA

Location: campbelltown
NSW, Australia

Well i had to take out the cam as it was out by 1 tooth after chaning a headgasket. During this process, i did tighten the chain. I must of tighten it to tight. Had it all working and took it for a test drive and then the chain snaped which could of caused the aux shaft to sezie.
Ive taken out the dizzy and tried using a crow bar to push it out and had no luck.
The thing that i dont get is how does it sezie in there? There is nothing for it to get stuck on or in.

I guess im up for another engine now. More money to spend on the stupid car.

 

_________________

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2945

Joined: 24th Jan 2005

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Next time my headgasket blows I'm getting a new engine regardless. It's easier to install and ends up being cheaper! $500 for a second hand motor with warranty and you get anywhere from $200-$300 for an otherwise good engine with a blown headgasket. And an engine swap is a piece of piss if you've got ramps and a forklift :D
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:22 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1452

Joined: 27th Apr 2005

Ride: BA

Location: campbelltown
NSW, Australia

It would work out cheaper for an engine change. This headgasket cost me over $800. Like you said, can get an engine for that price.

So does anyone know where to get a cheap engine in sydney?

 

_________________

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2945

Joined: 24th Jan 2005

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

shnoza wrote:
This headgasket cost me over $800.


That's one expensive headgasket... :? I only payed $70 for mine in a set!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 48

Posts: 1061

Joined: 7th Sep 2007

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

Location: Brookfield
VIC, Australia

I paid $2k for mine last time. LOL
I had nowhere to work on the car and with only one car getting parts etc. was too hard. My wife said just get it fixed so i limped it to the engine specialists in sunshine and got them to do everything. new water pump as it was shagging out, idlers, welsh plugs seeping, rear main seeping. Injector reco.
the result was a car that ran better than it had in 3 years.

 

_________________

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:41 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
i think
the whole problem was created by a over tight cam chain.

i just changed the cam in my car and when i fitted it i didnt release the chain tensioner.
and when it fired it up it had that whine sound from the front on the timing case.
after a few mins i decided to kill it and look at what was wrong before it did damage.
the chain was to tight.
after removing the tensioner and re-setting it.the whine went away.
and afaik the aux gear is the week point in the chain set up..
so a over tight cam chain = dead aux shaft.or extreme guide wear.


I thought the the timing chain tensioner is a self tensioning unit? You just release it and it springs and tensions the tensioner? So how exactly can you over tighten it?... BTW I am doing my timing chain tensioner at the moment and I don't plan on snapping anything...so help is appreciated.

phong =P~



ok i mean it was over tight because in my case i didnt release the tensioner when i removed the cam(i used a short cut to hold the sprocket up to keep tension on the tensioner) and it failed.
when re-instaling the cam.the cam sprocket still went over the cam shaft but it was a little harder to get on.

i thought its ok
untill i started it up and the whine began.
so in my case it was to tight!
it must have only been a bees d**k to tight as i could still get the cam gear on without 2 much hassle.


the tensioner is one way self adjusting it will allow the tensioner out in small incruments and will not go back untill you release it.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:44 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
phongus, i assume he meant, he changed the cam over without trying to let any tension off the chain, and when he slipped the cam gear back on it was too tight, cause the tensioner shifted out trying to regain tension


thats exactly what happened....
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1452

Joined: 27th Apr 2005

Ride: BA

Location: campbelltown
NSW, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
shnoza wrote:
This headgasket cost me over $800.


That's one expensive headgasket... :? I only payed $70 for mine in a set!


I bought the gasket kit plus head servicee which was $350. Then i had to take out the timing cover and plus gaskets for that.... Plus some tools.

It all adds up in the end. :cry:

 

_________________

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:35 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names