Fordmods Logo

Just installed hitek extractors etc 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Just installed hitek extractors etc
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL fairlane

VIC, Australia

havent had a chance to post last 2 weeks pc had shocking virus, anyway since then ive put Hitek extractors, cat and 2.5" bolt on sports exhaust (BOSEX reads the sticker on the main muffler), i also got LPG for $14 (see lpg section) and tinted windows for $250.

I picked up the header, cat & xorst from an exhaust mob with a 2 month old quote of $620 which they reluctantly fulfilled, apparently headers have gone up %30 this financial year, anyway after a couple of hours i had them on and let it sit for a while for the gasket maker on the header to set and next days vroooom started thrashing up and down the streets, all my neighbours noticed a big difference in sound, louder and nicer mostly, my wife hates it when driving on the freeway though and when taking off "its to loud, i dont understand why it goes up like that", maybe i shouldve taken the rear resonator, the softer noise cant be as bad as a nagging spouse on a long trip.

im pretty happy with it and even on gas my car has heaps more power than before the kit on petrol, and ill get $40 for the old cat when i get around to taking it upto FTG wreckers, any ideas what i can do with the rest of the old xorst kit? preferably profitable ideas.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

oh yeah i forgot to mention performs way better however i havent noticed any difference to fuel economy.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 03 BA

NSW, Australia

got pics of headers

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

To eliminate that horrible loud drone without actually "quieting" the system much (ie. it will be a tad deeper in note) - get a CHAMBER resonator or small straight thru CHAMBER type muffler (ie. with an open chamber in the middle) fitted between cat and main muffler.

If you want it really quietened down a LOT but still essentially straight thru and with a nice note then get a straight thru DOGLEG muffler fitted at the back (ie. perforated pipe angled diagonally thru the body of the muffler). I think that type of rear muffler is one of the std options available with redback??

Anyway, I can guarantee both the things I've described above work the way I've described them as I've done both over the years.

After seeing how amazingly a dogleg straight thru muffler quietens (too much in fact with another muffler fitted as well) and kills droning, the thing I'd like to try but haven't yet is a system that's ONLY got the single dogleg muffler - and I'd like to try that both in the normal main muffler position and in the rear muffler position to see if there's a difference (i've only seen it in the rear position along with a normal centre in, centre out straight thru muffler in the normal position).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yes i have before and after pics but still have to upload them to pc.

thanks for the advice greenmachine, the only options they gave me were straight pipe and 'resonator' which he described as a 'hot dog', could you please tell me where i would find this dog leg and how much it will cost, preferably bolt on?

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I might be wrong about the tailpipe with dogleg muffler that was fitted to my car being a redback then - I'll see if I can find out exactly what it was.

-edit: Just realised I've been incorrectly calling that type of muffler a "dogleg" type - in fact it's a straight thru angled tube type (a dogleg has straight inlet and outlet pipes offset from each other and a centre chamber).

The "chamber resonator" I have used before between the cat and muffler to kill droning was an Exhaust Technology "Tube" - which is a bit like a very long hotdog with a chamber in the middle.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

well its been a while but heres some pics from that night i put them in, too bad now ive crashed the car and taken them out and sold already :(

Attachments:
Image006.jpg
Image006.jpg [ 405.08 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: GLXR 6

WA, Australia

sexy lookin things arent they? :)

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Greenmachine wrote:
the thing I'd like to try but haven't yet is a system that's ONLY got the single dogleg muffler -

im running what you described and its very quiet on idle, then loud & 'droney' low in the revs, loses the drone up higher revs but still fairly loud.

but ive been pulled up a few times and not a word was said about the exhaust so cant be too bad :)

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:37 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

when i took them off i also put in a different o2 sensor which id had lying around, the one that was already in it had been molested by the LPG tech when he removed the lpg system from it but i thought it was slow but still still ok, i was wrong, i think maybe the reason i never noticed economy difference was because i mixed up the o2 sensors when i originally put the extractors on and put a crap one on instead, now my economy is way better but i cant compare it to when i had extractors.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

more pics once it was in:

Attachments:
Image011.jpg
Image011.jpg [ 403.05 KiB | Viewed 888 times ]
Image010.jpg
Image010.jpg [ 401.6 KiB | Viewed 888 times ]

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Im running a bosex exhaust as well, except its a 3' v8 one modded to fit the turbo car and i found them to be a good quality exhaust for the price. If maybe a little to quite for my likening, one day when i get around to it ill take the hotdog off the tail pipe section and see how that sounds.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef xr falcon

NSW, Australia

Hi had similar prob with exhaust,had some hiteck extractors fitted when i had a stg 2 head ,cam package by Cresentmotersport fitted.
Anyhow ,it was heeps lowd ,so put resinator on ,still too lowd .
Exhaust guys reckon main muffler blown out,so replaced it with a luckey.
Its quieter,but still has horrible drone ,maybe the chamber resonator would fix this ,would like it a little more deeper.
Do you have a idea how much they would cost?
also the 02 sensor ,could this possibly cure a idle fluctuation problem i have since stg 2 package fitted. thanks Txrev6

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

if im not mistaken, the data from the o2 sensor is mostly used by the cars computer for regulating the overall fuel air mixture by putting more or less fuel depending on how much oxygen it senses in the exhaust emission, it happens very rapidly and a cr4ppy o2 sensor will send the info slowly, the computer will then think its not accurate and increase the amount of fuel used, thus causing bad economy say 14-18+ L/100klm as opposed to good economy average 9-14 L/100klm.

based on what i know, i dont think it would be the cause of your idle fluctuation.

there is a way to test the o2 sensor with a multimeter, my automotive trainer showed me, i tried to emulate it but couldnt seem to get it right, in any case if you trust an auto elec ask him to test it, shoud take less than 5 minutes.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

they are exactly what i have on the ea,it drones abit between 90 and 95k's but i am happy with them.
you may notice because the convertor is a bit smaller than a normal one it may sound like you have an exhaust leak,you don't.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]