Fordmods Logo

K & N Filter or other filters any difference 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: K & N Filter or other filters any difference
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:37 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 226

Joined: 8th May 2007

Ride: EF Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

just wondering is their a big difference in power in the K&N filters to the filters you get from Super Cheap and Autobarn??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

what are the ones from supercheap and auto barn?

if you compare cheap brand pod filters like TFI or SAAS (ranging from $20 to $50) the flow difference between a K&N is very noticable even on a stock engine.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:37 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 226

Joined: 8th May 2007

Ride: EF Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

i think its like saas, they cost round $30, so better off getting a K&N?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:53 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 29

Posts: 1169

Joined: 23rd Oct 2006

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

yeh i would its not a great deal of money for a K&N anyway like $99 from autobarn for the chrome ended one which is far superior to the shonky branded ones.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 673

Joined: 29th Jan 2006

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Yeah get the K&N. Tried and tested.. I had one in my last car, and it made more difference than a muffler change alone.

A mate threw a $25 SAAS on his camry, it just made some nice sounds, and now that filter is on another mates VR - which funnily enough we both agree it goes good!

If you get a cheaper product, or a non-cotton element, you'll always be wondering what you're missing out on.. :D

 

_________________

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

Ive read about a test where theyve measured a total pressure drop of around 16 inches of water (a way to measure) in a stock EF intake.

The new STOCK air filter contributed to 1 single inch of pressure loss.

So going by there calculations, a K&N air filter can only improve airflow over the stock intake by a maximum 6%. The biggest restrictions in the intake were the airbox outlet and snorkle followed by the tubing to the throttle body a close third.

Something to think about........
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 1538

Joined: 4th May 2006

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Ive read about a test where theyve measured a total pressure drop of around 16 inches of water (a way to measure) in a stock EF intake.

The new STOCK air filter contributed to 1 single inch of pressure loss.

So going by there calculations, a K&N air filter can only improve airflow over the stock intake by a maximum 6%. The biggest restrictions in the intake were the airbox outlet and snorkle followed by the tubing to the throttle body a close third.

Something to think about........


yes ive read that somwhere before aswell, i honestly couldnt notice a diffrence with the k&n filter over the stock, so i doubt you will notice a diffrence in peformance with the to aftermarket filters.
however in long term the quality of the k&n will remain where as the cheapo brands will eventally wear out and need replacing

 

_________________

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 156

Joined: 15th Jun 2006

Ride: XH Ute

Location: Leinster
WA, Australia

locknut wrote:
Yeah get the K&N. Tried and tested.. I had one in my last car, and it made more difference than a muffler change alone.

A mate threw a $25 SAAS on his camry, it just made some nice sounds, and now that filter is on another mates VR - which funnily enough we both agree it goes good!

If you get a cheaper product, or a non-cotton element, you'll always be wondering what you're missing out on.. :D


A K&N filter made more difference than a muffler change ? Please explain

Tried and tested . Where ? By whom ?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 673

Joined: 29th Jan 2006

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

nicebus wrote:
locknut wrote:
Yeah get the K&N. Tried and tested.. I had one in my last car, and it made more difference than a muffler change alone.

A mate threw a $25 SAAS on his camry, it just made some nice sounds, and now that filter is on another mates VR - which funnily enough we both agree it goes good!

If you get a cheaper product, or a non-cotton element, you'll always be wondering what you're missing out on.. :D


A K&N filter made more difference than a muffler change ? Please explain

Tried and tested . Where ? By whom ?


Interrogation? lol :D kiddin.. You could feel more torque, and slightly more pull into the back of the seat immediately after the K&N install. Torque is something you can notice without going fast. I tried in and outside the airbox. Outside sounded real nice, but it was more responsive felt quicker inside the housing.

The muffler was the first modification made, stock system but changing the rear unit to a straight thru design. Slight noticable gain if anythin up top, and a nicer note.

Tried and tested? K&N's cotton element filters compared to other materials, foam and paper. Besides graphical results and figures found from flow tests and obviously displayed on their products, and else where on the web / brochures, the fact that millions of people around the world are using them should have some truth in it.

Anyway, I'm not trying to sell the product; the guy's asked if it may be worth it, and IMHO they're a quality product and work better than OEM first hand. In his case, ideal test would 2 different filters on the same car, and ask the driver..

 

_________________

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:11 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 226

Joined: 8th May 2007

Ride: EF Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

thanks for all the replies, looking forward to getting a K&N
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

Go get your cam reground by places like wade cams.

It'll cost you $122 for an exchange camshaft plus however cheap you can get the extra 12 shims. Their are guides here how to change it over, easy.

$130 for a K&N panel filter for f*** all performance or $122 for a cam thats gonna give you a stronger motor..... hmm
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:33 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names