Fordmods Logo

K & N Filter or other filters any difference 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: K & N Filter or other filters any difference
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

just wondering is their a big difference in power in the K&N filters to the filters you get from Super Cheap and Autobarn??

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

what are the ones from supercheap and auto barn?

if you compare cheap brand pod filters like TFI or SAAS (ranging from $20 to $50) the flow difference between a K&N is very noticable even on a stock engine.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:37 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

i think its like saas, they cost round $30, so better off getting a K&N?

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

yeh i would its not a great deal of money for a K&N anyway like $99 from autobarn for the chrome ended one which is far superior to the shonky branded ones.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

Yeah get the K&N. Tried and tested.. I had one in my last car, and it made more difference than a muffler change alone.

A mate threw a $25 SAAS on his camry, it just made some nice sounds, and now that filter is on another mates VR - which funnily enough we both agree it goes good!

If you get a cheaper product, or a non-cotton element, you'll always be wondering what you're missing out on.. :D

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ive read about a test where theyve measured a total pressure drop of around 16 inches of water (a way to measure) in a stock EF intake.

The new STOCK air filter contributed to 1 single inch of pressure loss.

So going by there calculations, a K&N air filter can only improve airflow over the stock intake by a maximum 6%. The biggest restrictions in the intake were the airbox outlet and snorkle followed by the tubing to the throttle body a close third.

Something to think about........

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Ive read about a test where theyve measured a total pressure drop of around 16 inches of water (a way to measure) in a stock EF intake.

The new STOCK air filter contributed to 1 single inch of pressure loss.

So going by there calculations, a K&N air filter can only improve airflow over the stock intake by a maximum 6%. The biggest restrictions in the intake were the airbox outlet and snorkle followed by the tubing to the throttle body a close third.

Something to think about........

yes ive read that somwhere before aswell, i honestly couldnt notice a diffrence with the k&n filter over the stock, so i doubt you will notice a diffrence in peformance with the to aftermarket filters.
however in long term the quality of the k&n will remain where as the cheapo brands will eventally wear out and need replacing

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

locknut wrote:
Yeah get the K&N. Tried and tested.. I had one in my last car, and it made more difference than a muffler change alone.

A mate threw a $25 SAAS on his camry, it just made some nice sounds, and now that filter is on another mates VR - which funnily enough we both agree it goes good!

If you get a cheaper product, or a non-cotton element, you'll always be wondering what you're missing out on.. :D

A K&N filter made more difference than a muffler change ? Please explain

Tried and tested . Where ? By whom ?

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

nicebus wrote:
locknut wrote:

A K&N filter made more difference than a muffler change ? Please explain

Tried and tested . Where ? By whom ?

Interrogation? lol :D kiddin.. You could feel more torque, and slightly more pull into the back of the seat immediately after the K&N install. Torque is something you can notice without going fast. I tried in and outside the airbox. Outside sounded real nice, but it was more responsive felt quicker inside the housing.

The muffler was the first modification made, stock system but changing the rear unit to a straight thru design. Slight noticable gain if anythin up top, and a nicer note.

Tried and tested? K&N's cotton element filters compared to other materials, foam and paper. Besides graphical results and figures found from flow tests and obviously displayed on their products, and else where on the web / brochures, the fact that millions of people around the world are using them should have some truth in it.

Anyway, I'm not trying to sell the product; the guy's asked if it may be worth it, and IMHO they're a quality product and work better than OEM first hand. In his case, ideal test would 2 different filters on the same car, and ask the driver..

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:11 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

thanks for all the replies, looking forward to getting a K&N

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Go get your cam reground by places like wade cams.

It'll cost you $122 for an exchange camshaft plus however cheap you can get the extra 12 shims. Their are guides here how to change it over, easy.

$130 for a K&N panel filter for f*** all performance or $122 for a cam thats gonna give you a stronger motor..... hmm

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]