Fordmods Logo

K + N Filters 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: K + N Filters
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:43 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Just wondering to all thsoe with K&N filters are they worth it?

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

short answer is not really, filters arent that restrictive and aftermarket filters arent as good at filtering. If you keep asking you will get people that swear hell yes and others that say no. just make sure your standard filter is clean and you wont notice the diff.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

If your old air filter is stuffed then yes. If your current air filter is working fine, then there is probably no need.

But for a hundred bucks why not?

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

forgot to mention that i do have a k&N pod on my 4WD but didnt bother with the falcon. I bought it for the 4WD cos it is washable so i could always clean the filter after a beach bash or after driving country gravel roads. if you find that you have to constantly replace filters cos they get dirty it might be worth it but they arent cheap.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Yeah best to buy them when SuperCheap or Autobarn has one of those 20-25% off days. Thats what I did. I bought one a couple of years ago for $110 and I am still using it, but they do work well when they are new or Clean and I can definately notice a slight increase in Acceleration. But when they get dirty they are crap to use.Despite what the K & N company says about 1million mile warranty s**t. I do have to clean mine once every 6 months.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

the 1 million warranty is only how long the filter will last AFAIK not how long it can go without being cleaned. but they are easy to clean and im happy with mine because i got it brand new and fully legit for $20 so im happy enough. The service packs last ages as well.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
the 1 million warranty is only how long the filter will last AFAIK not how long it can go without being cleaned. but they are easy to clean and im happy with mine because i got it brand new and fully legit for $20 so im happy enough. The service packs last ages as well.

a k&n filter for 20bucks :shock:

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yes a K&N filter is worth it, with the rather large life span of it it makes services alot easier and cheaper. Just think a K&N will last the life of your car in most cases if it is properly taken care of. A normal paper filter must be bought every 12-15 thousand kms as they get dirty and basically start to loose thier efficiency.

Your saving atleast $10-$15 in most cases each time you serivce your car without needing to replace the air filter so yeah thats a big plus thier.

Well i believe that the K&N filter plus the ticky snorkle did the job for me and im gald i bought them. :)

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

hasn;'t this same thing been said so many times? there's no power gain, some may say they notice better responce or what ever, i think it's just the reduced weight that they've spent all the money in there wallet on the filter. i've got one, just couse everyone else does.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Yeah i have a panel on my ef falcon. only got it about a month ago and i put a t-series snorkel on it and i have noticed better response. and it doesnt increase power it just increases response and fuel economy. Dont know why people think that once you get a k&n your car turns into Marcus ambrose's car. K&N is good because it's reusable if you want one for extra power dont bother!

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:39 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

QLD, Australia

i put one on my Daewoo (yeah daewoo, sad i know, but i cant afford to run a fairlane atm) and it is a tiny bit more responsive. fuel economy i aint noticed anything - this car went from adelaid to mackay on 250bucks of fuel... the only other thing abouti t is it makes the car sound like its 'bigger' when ya put your foot down :)

yeah i know, itsa 4cycl daewoo, but still, its gotta K & N filter, so its all related :P lol

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:

WELL I highly doubt that they would last for 1 million km if you have to clean it every 10000Km. And I find they never come up totally 100% clean either!

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Its easy to get the K&N filter clean and most times you dont need to clean them for like 30,000kms or so depends on weather in your area i suppose. I havent cleaned mine and it still looks new. Ive done 18,000kms with it already.

Ive bought it purely for the fact its reusable and can eventully save you money! :D

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]