Fordmods Logo

K&N panel? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: K&N panel?
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

hi there,
im looking at buying a panel filter for my ED xr6. do you guys recon its worth gettin? i can get one now for 92 bux. what sort of power increase would it give me? iv currently got a 2 1/2 inch mendrel bent cat back system,
cheers

BA XR6 Turbo, Blueprint, 18's, Premium Sound, Leather.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

for $92 i would go for it, with power increase there isn't that much of a difference i found. I found that the throttle response was quicker. But yeah, the K&N filter is going to last you alot longer then your standard paper filter and you get more airflow so you cant go wrong.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

yeh dats wat i thought, its pretty cheap, also if ya could answer this, what sort of power roughly would i be making with the system im running now, plus the air filter, and its auto.
so its 2 1/2 inch mendrel bent cat back, K&N air filter and auto,cheers

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

im pretty sure the ED XR6 were 161kw and with your cat-back and your filter probly making roughly another 10kw. so i would say 115rwkw+

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

To be honest the filter didn't do much for me...i found a liitle bit more throttle response and that's it.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Well worth it for the money. Combine it with a less restrictive intake pipe and your looking at anywhere up to a 10rwkw power increase. Doesn't sound much but what other $100 mod can u name which gives the same power increase?

But don't pay $92... I got mine off eBay for $85.50 posted to my door brand new. Here's the mod I got it off of. Very fast postage... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/K-N-Air-Filter-F ... dZViewItem

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
Well worth it for the money. Combine it with a less restrictive intake pipe and your looking at anywhere up to a 10rwkw power increase. Doesn't sound much but what other $100 mod can u name which gives the same power increase?

But don't pay $92... I got mine off eBay for $85.50 posted to my door brand new. Here's the mod I got it off of. Very fast postage... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/K-N-Air-Filter-F ... dZViewItem

:? I think a less restrictive intake piping will give you more rwkw rather then the filter...that means it will cost more then $100 to get that extra 10rwkw (if that's correct). In my opinion...the filter just gives better throttle response without anyt other modification to the intake... someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I've seen dyno printouts showing a modest 5kw boost when the factory panel filter was replaced by a K&N. The better pipework would then add the little bit extra. But you're right, throttle response is the only real noticeable change that a better flowing air intake system will do. When you think about it, a 5-10rwkw difference is near impossible to notice when driving.

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

thanks for al ya replies, it sounds like its worth doing. I might invest in the EA intake pipe, which i heard is bigger then an ED, and also an XH snorkel, whch should make for a decent mod, would that sounds about right to do? or what other intake piping could i look at getting? thanks

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

i did one a few years ago. i personally reckon that the gains were in my head. i reckon it made about 10 poofteenths of a difference rw kw wise.

would have been interesting to dyno though...

i paid about 130 for mine, wouldnt pay that much if i needed another one, but at 92, i might be tempted. :wink:

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:17 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

yeh i can see what u mean, iv heard that abit, but for 100 bux it isnt too bad.
Will an airbox out of an EF/EL fit straight to replace my current one? cauz with those you can put pods inside them cant u? and have beeter airflow

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

andrich wrote:
Will an airbox out of an EF/EL fit straight to replace my current one? cauz with those you can put pods inside them cant u? and have beeter airflow

An airbox off an EF/EL will fit it perfectly, that's what they're built for.

As for the whole Pod filter thing they can be made to fit inside an EF/EL airbox with a bit of fiddling... As for flow difference between pods and panels, it's a very debatable issue... Some say the Pods flow better, some say the panels flow better and some say they're both the same. IMO just get a panel as you're going to be paying the same amount for a good quality K&N Pod filter plus the fiddling around the get it to fit properly.

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

andrich wrote:
thanks for al ya replies, it sounds like its worth doing. I might invest in the EA intake pipe, which i heard is bigger then an ED, and also an XH snorkel, whch should make for a decent mod, would that sounds about right to do? or what other intake piping could i look at getting? thanks

The EA intake pipe is a great mod.....I did it to my ED. One thing to remember is that not only do you need the EA intake pipe but you will also need the lower section of the airbox because the EA intake pipe being a bigger diameter means it will not fit the EB-ED lower airbox section.

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:34 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
andrich wrote:

An airbox off an EF/EL will fit it perfectly, that's what they're built for.

As for the whole Pod filter thing they can be made to fit inside an EF/EL airbox with a bit of fiddling... As for flow difference between pods and panels, it's a very debatable issue... Some say the Pods flow better, some say the panels flow better and some say they're both the same. IMO just get a panel as you're going to be paying the same amount for a good quality K&N Pod filter plus the fiddling around the get it to fit properly.

orite, yeh iv read abit on the pod vs panel debate, as u said its prolli best to get a panel and be done with in, no muckn around and basicalli the same effect, cheers

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:35 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

revcore wrote:
andrich wrote:

The EA intake pipe is a great mod.....I did it to my ED. One thing to remember is that not only do you need the EA intake pipe but you will also need the lower section of the airbox because the EA intake pipe being a bigger diameter means it will not fit the EB-ED lower airbox section.

that sounds good il definately be doing it, so the lower section will fit onto the top half of my ED airbox yeah? are they easi to pick up from wreckers and that? pcik n pay less mayb? cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next