K&N 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

In an 8 if you have a k & n filter and they are over oiled, small amounts of oil can get into the maf and stick to the wires.

The only benefit as most people have said is that you don't have to replace it like a paper filter, and the 1kw *claimed* difference is not noticeable.

If you don't want the hassle of buying a paper filter for every service, you might aswell spend the $130 odd bucks on a tank of 98RON BP Ultimate.

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

also, $130 seems alot, think mine was like 94 when i got my car serviced at some place.. anything over $110 seems too muvh to me.
ps: yes, dont over oil them, can do nasty things.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah, $130 might be a little overpriced, just what i've seen them RRP. I think $110 is ballpark for a 'deal' or even better, $94 'mates rates'

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Punnisher_42 wrote:
keep in mind, though, that by decreasing the resistance of the air filter, you have a pay off between less resistance to air flow and more foreign particles getting through the filter causing wear to the engine. and this has been proven by tests done. there is a thread a while back on that you might want to do a search for.
I suppose reduced engine life from it sucking in ton's of dirt isn't a concern for you, then go the k&n and enjoy the fuel economy and possible power increase.

it was also shown that K&N filters are %97-%99 percent efficient with dust filtration... testing as per the SEA standard

you might also want to think about why some Paris to Dakar racers use K&N filters. Try giving Geoff Pickerings race mechanic a call. and ask him how well they work

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Punnisher_42 wrote:
keep in mind, though, that by decreasing the resistance of the air filter, you have a pay off between less resistance to air flow and more foreign particles getting through the filter causing wear to the engine. and this has been proven by tests done. there is a thread a while back on that you might want to do a search for.
I suppose reduced engine life from it sucking in ton's of dirt isn't a concern for you, then go the k&n and enjoy the fuel economy and possible power increase.

it was also shown that K&N filters are %97-%99 percent efficient with dust filtration... testing as per the SEA standard

you might also want to think about why some Paris to Dakar racers use K&N filters. Try giving Geoff Pickerings race mechanic a call. and ask him how well they work

Q.E.D.

And read this (pulled from a previous thread)
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

One thing i dont know is where the standard filter material fits into this equaision.

Would you realy thing that cars in the paris - dakar rally would be looking to get 300,000 + km's out of an engine?

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Punnisher_42 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
Punnisher_42 wrote:

Q.E.D.

And read this (pulled from a previous thread)
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

One thing i dont know is where the standard filter material fits into this equaision.

Would you realy thing that cars in the paris - dakar rally would be looking to get 300,000 + km's out of an engine?

sp basicly you agree with me.
i said the K&N filter was 97 -%99 efficient that test shows that the filter used on that day was %96.8 . close enough.

and that between all the filters tested there was only a %3 difference.
(AC delco-K&N)

there was a %37 difference in pressure drop across the filter (ac delco-K&N)

pressure drop equals pumping losses in an engine and a lose in fuel efficiency.

and as every one how has a K&N filter will tell you they noticed increased fuel efficiency

one thing that the test dose not show is how long the K&N filter will last for it to have the same pressure drop as the AC delco filter.

don't know about you but i never plan to own a car long enough for it to get 300 000km on it. You would also be suprised how long ongines last with out an air filter. Being a mechanic i've seen alot of cars with no filters or filters that old that they have holes big enough to fit your finger in and they show no signs of oil consumption or noises from piston/ bore wear

Post subject: Punnisher_42
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: HOT EL

VIC, Australia

Punnisher_42
Great feedback... Thanks, i will get a K&H on Monday

The Lion Tamer

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Daniel wrote:
thruth that if you buy it for added power, youve been sucked in

yep thats me, i felt cheated when fuel enconomy didnt drop of kw went up. ah well better save for the next mod :P

Post subject: Re: Punnisher_42
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

ScottFiske wrote:
Punnisher_42
Great feedback... Thanks, i will get a K&H on Monday

You mean a K & N not a K & H unless this could be a new brand to the market? I dont know?

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2