Keep blowing main fuse.. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Keep blowing main fuse..
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Ef Ghiaaaaaargh!

WA, Australia

Hey guys, having a long running dilemma with my 94 EF Ghia.

Basically i keep blowing the main fuse, every time i attach the battery the main fuse sparks then goes.

It started when i bought the car off a mate, he took his subs out but forgot to take the amp wiring out of the engine bay, so one day i was driving along and the power cable for the amp hit the cars block, melted to it and fried leaving me stranded on the side of the road and smoke coming from the engine bay... at the time i tried jumping it, changed battery, battery terminals, just changed fuse box behind the battery.

Anyone got any ideas where to check i want my car going again..

Mercedes 500SEC: -- GONE -- http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/my-83-mercedes-500sec-buildup-t69837.html
Ef Ghia: -- GONE -- Pacie 4480's, 2.5" Redback, custom grille, FTR's.
AU xr8: BA xr wheels, 2.5" custom exh, leather and woodgrain next.
Chevy Camaro: LHD, Black, all original.

Post subject: Re: Keep blowing main fuse..
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

NAfairlane... wrote:
Hey guys, having a long running dilemma with my 94 EF Ghia.

Basically i keep blowing the main fuse, every time i attach the battery the main fuse sparks then goes.

It started when i bought the car off a mate, he took his subs out but forgot to take the amp wiring out of the engine bay, so one day i was driving along and the power cable for the amp hit the cars block, melted to it and fried leaving me stranded on the side of the road and smoke coming from the engine bay... at the time i tried jumping it, changed battery, battery terminals, just changed fuse box behind the battery.

Anyone got any ideas where to check i want my car going again..

check all the wiring for shorts and pull all the loose ones out,main fuse block,starter,main harnesses and earths,will take some time,look under carpets and dash.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:49 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

If you're refering to the large black fusible link (100A), it connects the alternator to the battery as well as the other fusible links. If you keep blowing the black link, you may have a stuffed alternator or a bad connection at the rear of the alternator or along the large white wire from the B+ terminal of the alternator. I would disconnect the battery, disconnect the larger white wire from the rear of the alternator(insulate it and support it in a safe place) and reconnect the battery with a new link. If the link is now ok, the alternator or B+ wire is to blame.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:49 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

And do make sure that you have the battery hooked up properly :D as in negative side of battery goes to the chassis and the positive goes to the alternator and the starter.and use a multimeter to make sure the battery hasn't lost charge and reversed polarity.Cheers Kevman.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Ef Ghiaaaaaargh!

WA, Australia

I dont wana f**k around too much with 100amps.. might call in an auto leccy for this one.

Mercedes 500SEC: -- GONE -- http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/my-83-mercedes-500sec-buildup-t69837.html
Ef Ghia: -- GONE -- Pacie 4480's, 2.5" Redback, custom grille, FTR's.
AU xr8: BA xr wheels, 2.5" custom exh, leather and woodgrain next.
Chevy Camaro: LHD, Black, all original.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]