Fordmods Logo

kickdown thud 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: kickdown thud
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

i have an EL Fairmont and i want to know if it is common for the car to make like a thud noise and a sort of jerk when you are doin 100k's in 2nd gear and then you stop accelerating and the auto transmission naturally wants to go back into 4th gear?

EL Fairmont

2 1/2" Cat back Straight thru Redback exhaust
4499 Pacemaker Extractors
EL GT rims
K&N panel filter
XR8 intake snorkel
Pioneer head unit
Tinted windows

A good friend will bail you out of jail, whereas a true friend will be sitting beside you saying "damn that was fun"

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

might be time to get it looked at mate and get a full service

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Sounds like your transmission is crying out for a service.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What do you expect when you are doing 100kmh in second :!: Yeah it probably needs a service, and no wonder. Wouldn't be too good for the diff either.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA

QLD, Australia

Shugg wrote:
What do you expect when you are doing 100kmh in second :!: Yeah it probably needs a service, and no wonder. Wouldn't be too good for the diff either.

yeah,,was thinking the same thing,,,i mean fair dinkum,,100k' in 2nd gear,,bloody hell i'm surprised it's still running at all..

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

wouldnt it kick down to 3rd at that speed? not 2nd?

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

pepsimax wrote:
yeah,,was thinking the same thing,,,i mean fair dinkum,,100k' in 2nd gear,,bloody hell i'm surprised it's still running at all..

My EF with the standard 3.08 diff and auto will pull about 85k's in first, so 100 in second is not all that bad, its possible just the gear box changing from high revs in 2nd to very low revs into 4th and giving the box a bit of a clunk bringing the revs down. Does it make the clunk changing up or down the gears any other times?

Have the auto serviced really wont do to much, all they do is change the oil and filter, the boxes are really not adjustable, anyone who tells you that they "adjust the bands" are just ripping you off.
Good luck,,
Tim

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

tjb45 wrote:
pepsimax wrote:

My EF with the standard 3.08 diff and auto will pull about 85k's in first, so 100 in second is not all that bad, its possible just the gear box changing from high revs in 2nd to very low revs into 4th and giving the box a bit of a clunk bringing the revs down. Does it make the clunk changing up or down the gears any other times?

Have the auto serviced really wont do to much, all they do is change the oil and filter, the boxes are really not adjustable, anyone who tells you that they "adjust the bands" are just ripping you off.
Good luck,,
Tim

I have same. And its the same with every EL I've every driven. If you quickly take your foot off the throttle at high RPM (like 100km/h in second) it will drop to 4th straight away and give a bit of a thud. It might be that its just about to shift into 3rd, which will make things feel worse. These auto boxes seem to thud badly if you take your foot off from hard acceleration as its just about to shift, or mid shift.

My EL does this, as did previous EL hire cars, and both my parents NL's. And before you say service, care, yadda, yadda. They are all regularly seviced (cant say much for the hire cars tho), and did it before an after a full 14l flush, and mine's done this since I bought it, when it had 32,000km on the clock.

And 100km/h in second... Easy... lol.. Consideing they will do 120+ in second. That would be redlining basically.

kermey wrote:
wouldnt it kick down to 3rd at that speed? not 2nd?

I think that depends what mode the tranny is in. Power or Econ. If its in power, it will go third. Econ will tend to go 4th. Always selecting the highest possible gear. I usually get more thuds in power as its hanging onto gears longer.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Its normal - I've driven numerous taxi's that do that. They thud even more if you compeltely remove your foot from the pedal then gently apply it a poofteenth of a second later.

They also thud when you're doing 20km/h in second gear with part throttle and put the trans into first.

Helped convince a seller their auto was about to die allowing me to buy the car cheap :).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]