Fordmods Logo

Laptop dynos 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:05 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

When you're talking abotu measuring acceleration directly (via the accelerometers) lots of smaples would be important, so some foltering/smoothing can be done (anti-aliasing) so erroneous spikes can be avoided.

Something not so critical when you've got a nice strong/clean tacho signal direct from (to?) the EEC. I can't remember if it's tapped directly from the coil output, or it's an interpreted signal from the EEC.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

True, but that are saying:

Quote:
With OBDII it's only a few times per second! So acceleration readings are "choppy" and not accurate

which isnt the same. a few time a second is fine as long as it is telling you exectly what rpm the engine is doing. Just saying that how often you measure vehicle speed is not nearly as important as how accurately you can do it.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:02 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

NSW, Australia

I am working with the trip computer, and as far as output goes, it can be done Im sure... The hardware that can be retained won't allow for it though, because (on mine anyway), the only input engine side is the pulse width of the injectors.

Im going to go over them in more detail and see if I can do more tricky stuff with them, but it looks like they are hardware limited.

As for the dirty signal on the tacho of the MSII, are you measuring this before it goes into the MSII?

Also what pullup are you running on the input side (instead of D2), 1Kohm?

Are the MegaTune datalogs clean?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

justfordima wrote:
As for the dirty signal on the tacho of the MSII, are you measuring this before it goes into the MSII?

Im using dizzy for MS2 ignition and the EEC/dash/diagnostic port runs on what is left of the EDIS setup. I can think of a half a dozen reasons why the signal is noisy now but its very low on my priority list.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nice work guys ;)

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FG-XR6 EL EA '24 Dodge

NSW, Australia

stockstandard

If pickup noise is the problem would one of the pickups like the one shown in the sportdevices post fix that.
Or just pick up a pulse off the flywheel etc using a hall effect senor or something.
One of the guys at work built a Jabaroo ultra light aircraft and it had a sensor that picked up the teeth on the ring gear of the flywheel to pulse the tacho.

Any chance of getting a copy of your app and spread sheet?

I think your charts are better than the commercial ones as they aren't tarted up looking and give you exactly what you're after.

As Sigfried once said "Nein Nein Ninty Nine"

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

flyingnunrt wrote:
stockstandard
If pickup noise is the problem would one of the pickups like the one shown in the sportdevices post fix that.
Or just pick up a pulse off the flywheel etc using a hall effect senor or something.
One of the guys at work built a Jabaroo ultra light aircraft and it had a sensor that picked up the teeth on the ring gear of the flywheel to pulse the tacho.

There are lots of places you could get the input from - Crank or cam angle sensors, dizzy, VSS, ABS - basically anything that pulses according to rpm or speed could be used (and I wrote the software in such a way that it will work no matter what the input is - just need to change a few parameters).

flyingnunrt wrote:
Any chance of getting a copy of your app and spread sheet?

Trying to decide what I want to do with it at the moment. I dont think it is in a state where I would be happy to give it to anyone (still has the odd hickup). I will be removing the MS2 from the EF soon so if I get time ill debug it and then post the software and instructions for making the hardware.

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FG-XR6 EL EA '24 Dodge

NSW, Australia

Thats cool

As Sigfried once said "Nein Nein Ninty Nine"

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2