Fordmods Logo

Lash Adjuster install guide? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Lash Adjuster install guide?
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Just wondering if anyones got a how to? I went and bought a new lash adjuster for the one that was worn, but i see the new one has an extra ring towards the top of it, im guessing thats what has worn off the old??? Either way, with the ring, it will not fit into the whole very easily and didnt really want to jam in it in there, unless thats whats needed?

Just need a quick yes/no so i can put the bugger back together. I did pull a second one out while the rockets are loosened and it didnt have the little ring either.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

mate that ring thing a only to hold it in when assemaly it is spost to be a tight fit just push it in but make shore that you put the shim in the right way and all should be ok

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

you talking about a little black ring?

they often just deteriate and disappear, they will make it tight to put in.

perhaps just put a little oil on it, might slide in easier.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

yup they are meant to be tight, and sometimes you will shear the side of the retainer (black bit) off when re-installing them in to the rocker arms. With reground cams they can sometimes hang up in the shoulder that is machined in to the rocker arm, so in most cases I leave them out, also because as already stated they generally deteriorate fairly quickly. They are more of a pain than they are worth, I think that Ford put them in there simply to make the production line faster with rocker installation

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

call me stupid lol but whats a lash adjuster?

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

HLA, or as sometimes called a lifter.

sits in the rocker arm and pushes down on spring/valve

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

eb_guy888 wrote:
call me stupid lol but whats a lash adjuster?

Its what I was working on the bench when I did Voxaces car. The little buggers that I had to put in and measure how far they travelled to calculate shim clearances.

Just something to note: Shim clearances have no referance to cam specs, clearances should be measured with every cam installed and addressed acordingly. You will generally be given a ball park spec of what to set the cam to, when you get the cam, however part of installing a cam is tuning it to how you drive the car, and not leaving it up to the cam manufacturer to tell you what will be the best for your driving style. Every one is different and just because someone says that should be the best for you, doesnt mean that it will be. I did a cam install on a car last week which I was unfamiliar with as I hadnt played with this manufacturers cams for a while. Even though Im in the business of doing cams all the time, I dont let my ego get in the way of common sense. I called a guy who had made good results out of this particular cam and asked him where abouts he had set it to. I then factored in the customers driving habits and car setup. He is stoked with his new cam, and I can proudly say that I installed it correctly when LISTENING to the right advice from people who know. Chances are that if your car doesnt have the power levels that it should with your new cam, it wont be the cam, but the installer who f**k up, and they should be the one trying to right the wrongs, instead of blaming other people.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

sorry went a little overboard :wink:

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:32 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
yup they are meant to be tight, and sometimes you will shear the side of the retainer (black bit) off when re-installing them in to the rocker arms. With reground cams they can sometimes hang up in the shoulder that is machined in to the rocker arm, so in most cases I leave them out, also because as already stated they generally deteriorate fairly quickly. They are more of a pain than they are worth, I think that Ford put them in there simply to make the production line faster with rocker installation

I agree with jaysen leave them out if you have a regrind cam for sure as they will hold up the lifter.

when you reshim your lifters the ideal clearances is about 0.8mm plus or minus about 0.4mm but if like me you find that with 1mm shims the choice is either 3 shims and 1.4mm or 4 shims and 0.4mm clearance go for three and leave out the plastic rings or retainers.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:34 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

One day when I can be bothered I might get a set of 1.5mm shims to replace one of the 1mm ones and get it closer to ideal but its all really quite good so I am not rushing out to do it.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

but if you leave them out, won't you get that tapping sound?

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]