Fordmods Logo

leaking like a b**ch 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: leaking like a b**ch
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

my car (EF falcon) is dripping oil from passenger side rear of engine. i got a few puddles one from sump plug, another bottom of bell housing and also from the cooler pipes aroudn that same area. where it leak from? this sux a** i just spent money on it instead of selling and now she start leaking like a b**ch :cry:

Post subject: Re: leaking like a b**ch
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Is there any oil on the side of the block (eg. oil leaking from oil pressure sender or rocker cover)? With the sump plug you can either replace the metal washer, use a fibre washer, or some Teflon tape on the thread. Perhaps pressure-wash the engine and confirm where the oil's actually coming from first. Make sure the transmission cooler pipes are tight too.

Is the oil around the bellhousing red or black? There could be oil leaking around the seal for the torque converter?

If the oil is coming from the sump gasket or rear seal, you have to:
a) remove the left engine mount bolt & jack up the engine on one side to get enough room to lower the sump, or
b) remove the engine, or
c) drop the K-frame & raise the car body.

I've tried jacking up the engine but it took quite a while to change the sump gasket. Pulling the engine out would have been faster & easier than lying on the ground fiddling with spanners & jacks. With 2 guys, some mechanical 'know-how', an engine hoist & a repair manual you can do it it a few hours.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Oil pressure sender? Passenger side of the block.

From what I have heard this is common for them to go.

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Wouldnt be the oil pressure sender because you'd have no oil left because when they go they go in a big way. Could be the headgasket leaking depends on how bad it actually is or rocker cover or sump even but timing covers leaking oil can blow to the back of the motor best thing to do would be jack it up and have a look with a light. And the oil on the bellhousing would most likely be rear main common problem on ef's

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED falcon gli - XR6 replica

ACT, Australia

hayzie17 wrote:
Wouldnt be the oil pressure sender because you'd have no oil left because when they go they go in a big way.

sorry pal but they do leak, sometimes the leak can only be a few drops over night. not hmm my oil pressure sender let go and dumped 5L of oil in 1 minute...

id say check the back of ur rocker cover especially your half moon seal if its an older style gasket fitted and check your oil pressure sender. also if its passenger side, check your oil filter is tight and someone hasnt left your old o-ring on. check if the oil is from INSIDE the bell housing and not just running from a higher place. as said before if its red it'd be ur torque converter seals and its if black engine oil its probably a rear main oil seal

Ford ED Falcon Gli, T5 conv, Twinlight lights, exedy sports tuff clutch, modified EA front grill, ED XR6 complete interior, 19" speedy graphites, monroe gt shocks, kingspring superlows, CAI, ported tickford head, 3:45 LSD.
Soon: paccies, custom centre console

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

thanks guys i had a look today, its all engine oil and my sump plug was leaking as it had no washer on it. i guess i have 2 leaks tho the drips from cooler pipe and bell housing are coming from oil running down the passenger side bracket that bolts onto the transmission, cant see anymore than that

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:26 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: toyo,2ea,3eb,1ef,1el,zh

QLD, Australia

:shock: it WILL be oil pressure sender---look just behind distributer -round thing with 1 wire going to it-directly above engine mount nearly----oil will be seeping out-- running down side-- along edge--to back bracket--then down dripping------very/very/very rarely do the fail major & dump all the oil out at once======have seen 1 in 35yrs as mechanic do this---& that was caused by incompetent person fiddling who didnt know a gearbox from a diff & broke end off---haha :roll:

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

xcbest wrote:
:shock: it WILL be oil pressure sender---look just behind distributer -round thing with 1 wire going to it-directly above engine mount nearly----oil will be seeping out-- running down side-- along edge--to back bracket--then down dripping------very/very/very rarely do the fail major & dump all the oil out at once======have seen 1 in 35yrs as mechanic do this---& that was caused by incompetent person fiddling who didnt know a gearbox from a diff & broke end off---haha :roll:

u were spot on mate thats exactly what is happening. its leaking through the sensor part just like wat happened to my power steering switch

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]