Leaking Pipe 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Leaking Pipe
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

Hi,
I have a pipe that has sprung a leak, I have attached a photo of it with some reference points so you know where in the engine bay I'm looking, basically I want to know what the pipe does and what's it connected to. It looks like it's corroded out, it will definitely need replacing but it looks pretty well stuck in there (perhaps welded?) Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
-Warren

Attachments:
photo.jpg
photo.jpg [ 146.94 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

Ford Fairmont mocked up to XR6.

Post subject: Re: Leaking Pipe
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Heater bypass pipe...you're O-ring probably has died. It is a pain in the a** to fix, but can be fixed. Mine's been leaking for a while...I've just left it, but not a good suggestion.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

how is it a pain in the a**? just remove water pump and change o ring. apply sealer to o ring, replace water pump gasket. done

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
how is it a pain in the a**? just remove water pump and change o ring. apply sealer to o ring, replace water pump gasket. done

and even that's the hard way!

you can undo the side support bolt, and rear hose clamp (the one on the bell housing bolt) and manipulate the pipe out.
Chances are its fubar'd and corroded into a holden, and That's when its a prick of a job.

Never fail, you (i think) can still buy an extension pipe from FordĀ® for this very reason, you can simply cut off the dead part, and press on the new extension with a new rubber seal.

hope this helps.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

it's the easiest way not to open pandoras box and have a never ending snowball of problems.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks guys,
So it goes into the back of the water pump? I've changed a few water pumps on my old XD but never on the EF, is it any harder (on account of the serpentine belt)?
If I go Krytox's solution, where is the bolt on the bell housing? is it behind the engine or is it easier to get to? I remember when I changed my heater core, I messed my hands up pretty bad trying to get to some of the nuts holding the dash on that firewall behind the engine (wasn't all that long ago either). I'll give ford a call tomorrow to see if they still have the part (Will post here if they do for others to reference later)
Cheers for the help again.

Regards,
-Warren

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the main 'clip' bolt is attached to the uppermost bolt on the Block just beneath the head on the SOUTH of the engine. you can get to this with a bent spanner or with an extension or 3 and a uni-knuckle from underneath with a 18mm socket.

The clip is not like a washer, its just clipped onto the bolt, so undoing it about 2 -3 turns and you'll be able to slide it out.

contact your local ford dealer or msg papa-smurf to see if this part is available before tackling it... actually, your going to have to do it anyways.

water pump is easy, but instead refitting it, replace it.
dont query it, buy a genuine Ford one, IIRC they're around $150ish new. but I've managed to purchase them for around $70 from new oak ford with a bit of haggling. (actually i've bought 3 at that price 3rd required a receipt to prove i paid that much).

anyways best of luck.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:

As far as I know, removing the water pump may cause you to ruin the 2 paper gaskets which are sandwiched between the block, metal gasket and water pump. The inner gasket is hard to replace, if replaceable at all, once ruined you can't reuse it...well you shouldn't reuse it. If you do, expect coolant leaks in a couple of kilometers of driving.

Best bet is to just replace the water pump as Krytox suggested. If it hasn't been replaced before, more reason to get a new one. Fixed pipe and new pump, should see the car have less coolant issues down the road.

Also when replacing the water pump, there is one water pump bolt that may need a bit of gasket maker on it because it goes into a coolant chamber behind the pump. This could leak without any sealant help. I also put extra gasket maker between the paper gaskets before fitting, haven't had any dramas yet besides the pipe end which I dodgily put in.

Either way, good luck dude :)

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I rang up Westpoint Ford (my local dealer), they have the pumps in stock for $160.00 (A long way off the $70 that I was hoping to hear) however they don't know anything about the extension pipe you where talking about Krytox. They said they only sell the entire pipe. Would it have a part number? Is it something that Repco might stock?

Cheers

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

find the- ask papa smurf thread, he will know.
the heater hose pipe that goes into the back of the water pump, there is a repair section u can buy, as written in above posts^^

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]