Fordmods Logo

legal catalylic converter cpsi? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: legal catalylic converter cpsi?
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF FAIRMONT GHIA 125kw

VIC, Australia

just want to know what the legal cpsi is for cats in vic

OMG DOSE IT ULAY

Post subject: Re: legal catalylic converter cpsi?
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

I believe its the emission levels that make them illegal, not exactly the cpsi count. A 100 cell would most probably not give the required emission level for most newer cars, a 200 cell possibly will for some cars, but when changing cams etc.. amongst other mods emission levels rise in any car. Feel free to correct me if im wrong, but this is what ive been told years ago when i bought a V8 with no cats and was defected. Obviously pre pollution cars are an exception.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

cheers for the help.. im thinking that a 200 cpsi would do the trick?..anyone know what the standard cats cpsi is?

OMG DOSE IT ULAY

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Most are 400 cpsi ceramic infill cats. I have heard the difference in power between the 100\200 cpsi is within a kw or so. Better stay with the 200 because the fines will not be worth it if it doesnt pass.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2008 BFII Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

apparently there is a noise difference with lower cell count cats, which makes sense i suppose, as there is less impedance in flow and a bigger body would resonate the note a little?

Rocky AKA The Tractor- ED Gli head+cam 3.7 limo 2x15' subs - gone but not forgotten
RED-JET - BFII Fairmont Ghia - Under Construction...
Rambo - NCII Fairlane Ghia 5.0l - just a daily runaround...

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

hunt3r wrote:
apparently there is a noise difference with lower cell count cats, which makes sense i suppose, as there is less impedance in flow and a bigger body would resonate the note a little?

Yep

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

venom-exhaust-works-f67/venom-high-flow-cats-t91484.html

XRCIST wrote:
MadMatt wrote:
XRCIST wrote:
thepistonhead wrote:
Hi mate, do you know what size the ELII XR8 cats are?

Approximately how long do you imagine it would take an exhaust shop to fit two of them (how much labour will it cost me)

What is the difference between 100 and 400 cpsi? Is it louder or is the better flow rate simply result in more power/ better flow - if so why would someone choose a 400 over a 100?

Cheers.

Hey mate, im not sure of the exact size on the ELs but they would be either 2" or 2.25" inlet/outlet.

To get the cats fitted with flanges you would expect to pay anywhere from $170 to $250 depending on where you go.

CPSI stands for Cells Per Square Inch. The lower the number, the larger the space of the holes in the metal substrate. So comparing a 100CPSI cat to a 400CPSI cat, the 100CPSI version has holes that are 4 times the size of the 400CPSI version, which results in better flow and therefore more power. They will also make the exhaust note slighlty louder and deeper.

The 400CPSI cats are a great option for those that are looking for a replacement for their standard cats, but want the advantages of the stronger metallic core and unchanged emissions output.

The 100CPSI cats on the other hand are the highest flowing versions and offer uncompromised flow. Because of their high flowing design, they dont filter the exhaust gases as effectively as the 200 and 400CPSI versions.

The 200CPSI versions are the middle ground, offering great gains in flow and are a more emissions friendly alternative than the 100CPSI versions.

George

1 question, is the 100CPSI legal?

Hey mate,

From a legal and roadworthy standpoint all you need is a functioning catalytic converter, the main issue that people see with cats is whether or not they are emissions compliant. The cats are Euro 2 Emissions complaint which means they are compliant on most cars made up until 2003. However, even though the cats may be compliant, the car may not be as it depends on any other mods done. For example, an early LS1 with a cat-back exhaust and a basic Intake will comply with emissions, however, an LS1 that has cams, heads, extractors and a mafless tune will most certainly not. It does depend on each application and the laws vary from state to state. Because of all these variables and differing laws it is hard to make a clear cut statement. In saying that though, no High Flow Metal Core 100CPSI Cats are Euro 3 emissions compliant, despite what some may claim, otherwise it just wouldn’t be a high flow cat.

I know alot of people are worried about emissions which is why i have also have the range of 200 and soon to be released 400 Cell Metal Cats which still offer great gains over stock units and are much more friendly for the environment. The 200 Cell cats are available in 2.25”, 2.5” and 3” and still utilise the same 4” body as the 100 Cell cats. When run in a twin cat configuration on a V8 the performance difference to the 100 cell versions is minimal.

George

Member Number 8804

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

hay thanks madmat and all above its been a great help..I think that a 200 cpsi would be good. as i have pacey cai and 2 1/2 exhaust.. but have plans for a 977b that would be legal with a 200 you think?

OMG DOSE IT ULAY

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TIAMO wrote:
Most are 400 cpsi ceramic infill cats. I have heard the difference in power between the 100\200 cpsi is within a kw or so. Better stay with the 200 because the fines will not be worth it if it doesnt pass.

is there anywhere we can find out more about fords factory cats?
i think iv read on here that the ba xr6t and xr8 cat are a good flowing cat from factory, you know if there's any truth to this?

cheers

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

After a few conversations with a few muffler shops, it seems that even a 200 cpsi cat can hit illegal emission levels. Really depends what mods you have done, and im guessing most people installing new cats would be likely to have modified their intake, headers and cat back already so your emission levels would already be above stock. Having said this maybe it would be better to have the 100 cpsi unit instead of a 200, as you're already going to have an illegal setup, may as well make the most of it. Main thing is you still have a working cat installed, big fines if you dont, but yeah in a real unlucky case you probably will still get defected for not having the right emission levels, especially if its a noisy setup that draws attention to the car. Just my thoughts anyway, as the exhaust shops say "its on you".

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]