Fordmods Logo

lightened flywheels 

 

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 151

Joined: 4th May 2007

Ride: NL Fairlane

Location: Kwinana
WA, Australia

head is shaved 67 thou,ported aswell,running lukey extractors with i think there 1.75 primarys.2 and half inch lukey exhaust with 1 muffler,pretty noisy.cat is knocked out as it was rooted,i am going to replace it,standar tickford cam and springs,not sure bout the diff as it is very tall geared,i hit 200 in 4th overtaking a line of traffic and the lsd is shagged so i think it has had a replacement at some stage and i am thinkin it is a 2.77 or a 2.92,more likely a 2.92 out of an auto,it is a 5sp,also oil catch can,k&n pod which i have to make up a shield for,people tell me it wont make power and it will be slow on the quarter but it is a pretty quick car,i think anyways,they start with 161kw at flywheel as stock,yet to have a dyno run to see what it does with basic mods,i did the port job on the head and it made huge difference,running approx 5 degrees more timing aswell,standard injectors,standard regulator,not tickford one,thats why looking at flywheel,just to get things moving a bit quicker

 

_________________

NL fairlane soon to be blown :)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

fezagero wrote:
....not sure bout the diff as it is very tall geared,i hit 200 in 4th overtaking a line of traffic


thats nothing, i frequently hit 270kph when i need to overtake
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 775

Joined: 27th Nov 2004

Ride: BA XT Series 2

Location: Cairns
QLD, Australia

Mine is speed limited that kinda sucks.

 

_________________

Stage 1 stereo install done. Pics in audio section.
Next step is probably a nice exhaust or stage 2 stereo.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 151

Joined: 4th May 2007

Ride: NL Fairlane

Location: Kwinana
WA, Australia

279km/h?????hmmmm

 

_________________

NL fairlane soon to be blown :)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 16

Joined: 7th Jan 2008

Ride: Falcon

Location: Nowra
NSW, Australia

Don't lighten your flywheel on a 6Cyl car... it costs to much to really only take about 0.01 off a quarter mile time. I know as im definately speaking from experience. My mate has a '85 Honda Civic and fitted a '94 Integra engine. While he was preping the new engine he lightened his flywheel and it made a huge difference in quarter times and take-off. But it was only efficient for him coz off his power to weight factor, his car weighing in at only 800KG. When i did it to my old EL it really made no difference but did make alot easier to stall... So only do it to lighter cars where power to weight can be affected easily and small improvements can be very noticable. So NO dont do it to a falcon.... Maybe a laser with a massive turbo and AWD, but not a falcon. And for that price get some extractors or something that you'll notice... anyways theres my input... ;-)
BTW ill always be a ford fan but my mates civic now beats BA XR8's and its the biggest sleeper ive ever seen.... DAMN JAP BUZZ BOXES....!!!!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 2288

Joined: 4th Dec 2004

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

THEBOSS wrote:
Don't lighten your flywheel on a 6Cyl car... it costs to much to really only take about 0.01 off a quarter mile time. I know as im definately speaking from experience. My mate has a '85 Honda Civic and fitted a '94 Integra engine. While he was preping the new engine he lightened his flywheel and it made a huge difference in quarter times and take-off. But it was only efficient for him coz off his power to weight factor, his car weighing in at only 800KG. When i did it to my old EL it really made no difference but did make alot easier to stall... So only do it to lighter cars where power to weight can be affected easily and small improvements can be very noticable. So NO dont do it to a falcon.... Maybe a laser with a massive turbo and AWD, but not a falcon. And for that price get some extractors or something that you'll notice... anyways theres my input... ;-)
BTW ill always be a ford fan but my mates civic now beats BA XR8's and its the biggest sleeper ive ever seen.... DAMN JAP BUZZ BOXES....!!!!



Lightened flywheel and clutch dropped OED-666s 1/4 mile from 14.2 to 13.8 in his N/A EB.

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 16

Joined: 7th Jan 2008

Ride: Falcon

Location: Nowra
NSW, Australia

So im guessing if OED-666's EB runs a 13.8 1/4 mile then his got other stuff going on there and probably had other stuff done at the same time of lightening the flywheel. My EL was stock and i got it done for free while mate was getting his done. Made no difference over 1/4, only contributing factor would be takeoff which we all know are inconsistant... Anyways for all you out there wanting to spend $400 before buying cam, extractors, manual gearbox for $100 extra, or exhaust, then go ahead ad freely spend money on lightening your flywheel...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 4182

Joined: 30th May 2005

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

Location: BrisVegas
QLD, Australia

THEBOSS wrote:
So im guessing if OED-666's EB runs a 13.8 1/4 mile then his got other stuff going on there and probably had other stuff done at the same time of lightening the flywheel. My EL was stock and i got it done for free while mate was getting his done. Made no difference over 1/4, only contributing factor would be takeoff which we all know are inconsistant... Anyways for all you out there wanting to spend $400 before buying cam, extractors, manual gearbox for $100 extra, or exhaust, then go ahead ad freely spend money on lightening your flywheel...


OED-666's ED ran a 14.2 with an AU motor, Surecam and a T5Z, fitted the lightened flywheel and a new clutch and ran the 13.88, and 200km/h is the very top of 4th in an XR6 with a 3.45LSD (5300rpm)

 

_________________

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

51TER - DL LTD. Stock.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 149

Joined: 28th Sep 2007

Power: 192 rwkw

Location: kadina
SA, Australia

if your seriously chasing NA power then spend the 450 on a cam

make 20kw instead of 2

just my thoughts
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 151

Joined: 4th May 2007

Ride: NL Fairlane

Location: Kwinana
WA, Australia

i had an escort with a lightened flywheel and it was sick,i loved the engine response and pick up,i want that in my falc,i have all the usual mods as everyone has mentioned in this thread,io have typed wat is done to it,does any one know the weight of a standard flywheel???

 

_________________

NL fairlane soon to be blown :)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

fezagero wrote:
i had an escort with a lightened flywheel and it was sick,i loved the engine response and pick up,i want that in my falc,i have all the usual mods as everyone has mentioned in this thread,io have typed wat is done to it,does any one know the weight of a standard flywheel???


stock flywheel is about 14 to 15kg
the yella terra light weight billet stell one is about 10.5kg though you will need a V8 clutch if you go with the yella terra one

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:38 pm 
Fordmods Addict
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 7958

Joined: 1st Jun 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

They are explosion proof too :)
Also cheaper to get a YT lightweight flywheel then it is to get a brand new one from Ford.
Plus if you have a new flywheel to go in it cuts down time getting your current one machined.
AND you can flog your old one ;)
People are overplaying the cost, 450 is nothing.

 

_________________

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 151

Joined: 4th May 2007

Ride: NL Fairlane

Location: Kwinana
WA, Australia

extreme do a light weight flywheel,it weighs 7.5 kg.bit of a difference.already have heavy duty clutch but i will be looking at getting a new ine when i get light flywheel.people have told me that you can light standard ones but i would have thought that would increase the stress on a standard wheel as well as reduce its strenght and it would be more prone to flexing/cracking/exploding.thoughts??

 

_________________

NL fairlane soon to be blown :)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

fezagero wrote:
extreme do a light weight flywheel,it weighs 7.5 kg.bit of a difference.already have heavy duty clutch but i will be looking at getting a new ine when i get light flywheel.people have told me that you can light standard ones but i would have thought that would increase the stress on a standard wheel as well as reduce its strenght and it would be more prone to flexing/cracking/exploding.thoughts??



7.5kg IMO is to light for a street car, you will start to see the down sides with one that light

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 638

Joined: 16th Feb 2005

Ride: EA Turbo

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

How much would it cost to get your existing flywheel lightened? How light could they get it?

 

_________________

1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Resprayed|microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Wade turbo cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 conversion|Built bottom end|10.6@125MPHi

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:01 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names