Fordmods Logo

lightened flywheels 

 

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:26 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

with a t5 with the 3.08 ratio
i get
ist =60@5500
2nd=100@5500
3rd=160@5500
4th=180@5500
5th=not sure.havnt wound 5th out

just ask anyone who has 3.45 ratio with a 5 speed they wont get 200 out of 4th unless they rev over 5500 rpm?

if a car that has 3.08 ratio can only get 180 in 4th.reving at 5500.
a car with a 3.45 ratio reving@5500 rpm will not.
most likely to be around 170 kmh

now we have gone way off topic.. :lol: :lol:
sorry for high jacking your thread...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 775

Joined: 27th Nov 2004

Ride: BA XT Series 2

Location: Cairns
QLD, Australia

You have to take wheels and tyresinto that equation

 

_________________

Stage 1 stereo install done. Pics in audio section.
Next step is probably a nice exhaust or stage 2 stereo.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 556

Joined: 10th Dec 2006

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Krytox wrote:
The engines not really a rev-er. Keep the stock weight.


yep, only really for high revving, high HP motors to extract that little more power at the wheels

arent you supposed to lose low down torque with lightened flywheels?

you could just fit an EA flywheel....


the EA flywheel is lighter but its only a 3 bolt 9" clutch as opposed to 6 bolt 10" with later models. i reckon the EL flywheel is the way to go because its lightweight and strong enough for 400+kw\ with a heavy duty clutch.
cjh wrote:
fezagero wrote:
engine is limited to 5600-5700,am looking at chip or programmable management to rid this and increase to 6000-6300,chromo one should handle higher revs??


Did you know that ChromeMoly is heavier than steel????

i might be wrong but i think chrome molly is actualy lighter but needs to be thicker to be as strong as steel.

 

_________________

Speed Safely! ;-)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

TROYMAN wrote:
with a t5 with the 3.08 ratio
i get
ist =60@5500
2nd=100@5500
3rd=160@5500
4th=180@5500
5th=not sure.havnt wound 5th out



well im stumped, cause in the vid he seems to get the same speeds in 1st and 2nd with the 3.45 diff? Dont forget, your running the EA box which has a shorter 1st, 2nd and 5th gear...... dunno what point im trying to make though.....

maybe he hasnt corrected the speedo since fitting the new gears? I think his username here is 'smoke_'
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 556

Joined: 10th Dec 2006

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

the EA box is known for its tall 1st gear prob cos final drive in the manual was 2.92 (same with optional lsd)
this is the list of ratios,

1st - 3.50
2nd - 2.14
3rd - 1.39
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.78
rev - 3.39

TROYMAN wrote:
67RCE wrote:
THEBOSS wrote:
So im guessing if OED-666's EB runs a 13.8 1/4 mile then his got other stuff going on there and probably had other stuff done at the same time of lightening the flywheel. My EL was stock and i got it done for free while mate was getting his done. Made no difference over 1/4, only contributing factor would be takeoff which we all know are inconsistant... Anyways for all you out there wanting to spend $400 before buying cam, extractors, manual gearbox for $100 extra, or exhaust, then go ahead ad freely spend money on lightening your flywheel...


OED-666's ED ran a 14.2 with an AU motor, Surecam and a T5Z, fitted the lightened flywheel and a new clutch and ran the 13.88, and 200km/h is the very top of 4th in an XR6 with a 3.45LSD (5300rpm)



its not exactly on topic but
that doesnt seem right??
the speed in 4th cant be right for a car with 3.45..@5300 rpm .
im running a au motor with a t5 and 3.08 ratio and i can only get 180 out of 4th @5500 rpm. with the 2.92 it did 200 in 4th @5500...
unless his speedo is out. a car with 3.45 would have a slower speed at 5500 than a car with 3.08

yeah it doesnt seem right, but what is a T5Z? if the gearing is similar to the older T5's then it must have a lower ratio like 2.92

edit: or custom box ratio's :)

 

_________________

Speed Safely! ;-)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 638

Joined: 16th Feb 2005

Ride: EA Turbo

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

I rang Jim Mock today, they said $150 and they can lighten the stock one, looks around and you can probably get it done a fair bit cheaper. I'll probably get mine done soon.

 

_________________

1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Resprayed|microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Wade turbo cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 conversion|Built bottom end|10.6@125MPHi

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 1442

Joined: 26th Apr 2006

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

Location: liverpool
NSW, Australia

i get about 150 out of 3rd and about 180 out of 4th, there is no way a t5 on 3.45s with standard rolling diametre tyres, is going to hit 200!

 

_________________

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:30 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 37

Posts: 775

Joined: 27th Nov 2004

Ride: BA XT Series 2

Location: Cairns
QLD, Australia

So we have pretty much gone way off topic there. My BA is speed limited so I cant even hit top speed but am over that. How about the lightened flywheel??

 

_________________

Stage 1 stereo install done. Pics in audio section.
Next step is probably a nice exhaust or stage 2 stereo.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:39 am 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
i get about 150 out of 3rd and about 180 out of 4th, there is no way a t5 on 3.45s with standard rolling diametre tyres, is going to hit 200!


finaly we have some confirmation..

ea boxes have slightly different 1st and 2nd gear ratios than the later t5 but both have a 1.00 4th.
so it doesnt matter what box it is.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:42 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 556

Joined: 10th Dec 2006

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
FAST-XR wrote:
i get about 150 out of 3rd and about 180 out of 4th, there is no way a t5 on 3.45s with standard rolling diametre tyres, is going to hit 200!


finaly we have some confirmation..

ea boxes have slightly different 1st and 2nd gear ratios than the later t5 but both have a 1.00 4th.
so it doesnt matter what box it is.

so who's gonna tell him its not a 3.45 lol ;)

OED666 wrote:
I have a BA Mk1 Turbo flywheel. I am pretty sure my flywheel and clutch combined is the weight of my old flywheel.

send 6speedxr8 a pm, as he knows about my setup.

interesting, i guess the teeth would take the standard ed starter? (quote taken from ff.com.au)

needfordspeed wrote:
I rang Jim Mock today, they said $150 and they can lighten the stock one, looks around and you can probably get it done a fair bit cheaper. I'll probably get mine done soon.


jmm might be more expensive for flywheel machining, but they know what they are doing so its probably worth the extra $50 to get it done right. if shavings are too deep in the wrong spot or even a slight imbalance it could cause a crack or snap with a bit of abuse.

 

_________________

Speed Safely! ;-)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:05 am 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

Redford wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
FAST-XR wrote:
i get about 150 out of 3rd and about 180 out of 4th, there is no way a t5 on 3.45s with standard rolling diametre tyres, is going to hit 200!


finaly we have some confirmation..

ea boxes have slightly different 1st and 2nd gear ratios than the later t5 but both have a 1.00 4th.
so it doesnt matter what box it is.

so who's gonna tell him its not a 3.45 lol ;)

well im not debaiting weather or not he has 3.45.lol
im trying to show that in the 1st vid clip the car is winding out 4th and 5th not 3rd and 4th..
i just want to show that its not possable to get 200 km out of 4th gear in a manual falcon with 3.45 ratio with your engine not reving past 5500 rpm.
and from me playing around with different diff ratios i can tell you that it wont..
unless you put monster wheels on it..

end...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 462

Joined: 7th Apr 2005

Ride: EA

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

when i had 3.45's i could get 180km/h @ 5300rpm (limiter) and i have a EA T5, now have 3.7's, and im lucky to get 170km/h @ 5300rpm(limiter)

 

_________________

Ford Falcon EA Naturally Aspirated 4.0L i6
13.797 @ 157.16km/h (Limiter Bounce)

1/4 Mile Video

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 556

Joined: 10th Dec 2006

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

some more info here i forgot to put in my last post:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/225855/2

 

_________________

Speed Safely! ;-)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 151

Joined: 4th May 2007

Ride: NL Fairlane

Location: Kwinana
WA, Australia

back to my original question,i have found that xtreme only do an alloy flywheel for my 4 litre,and it weighs 5.4 kg,with a heavy duty clutch the engine should pick up real quick

 

_________________

NL fairlane soon to be blown :)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 4182

Joined: 30th May 2005

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

Location: BrisVegas
QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
Redford wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
FAST-XR wrote:
i get about 150 out of 3rd and about 180 out of 4th, there is no way a t5 on 3.45s with standard rolling diametre tyres, is going to hit 200!


finaly we have some confirmation..

ea boxes have slightly different 1st and 2nd gear ratios than the later t5 but both have a 1.00 4th.
so it doesnt matter what box it is.

so who's gonna tell him its not a 3.45 lol ;)

well im not debaiting weather or not he has 3.45.lol
im trying to show that in the 1st vid clip the car is winding out 4th and 5th not 3rd and 4th..
i just want to show that its not possable to get 200 km out of 4th gear in a manual falcon with 3.45 ratio with your engine not reving past 5500 rpm.
and from me playing around with different diff ratios i can tell you that it wont..
unless you put monster wheels on it..

end...


The EF in question is smoke_, he has 3.45's out of an EF XR, my ED XR with 3.45's ran to 200 in 4th, and Paul's (smoke_) runs to 200 in 4th.

My ED specs: Factory manual ED XR6, 3.45minispool, 235/45ZR17's
1st- 60km/h
2nd- 100km/h
3rd- 148km/h (slips to prove it somewhere)
4th- 200 km/h
5th 200+
n.b all speeds recorded on track

 

_________________

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

51TER - DL LTD. Stock.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 45 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:28 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names