Fordmods Logo

lightened flywheels 

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: lightened flywheels
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL Fairlane

WA, Australia

i am looking at going for a lightend flywheel and heavy duty clutch,aluminium tailshaft,3.23 lsd all behind a worked xr6 ed,any one running a lightened flywheel?can you notice the difference in response?is it worth the 450 bucks?thats just for flywheel....also super low king springs + monroe shocks and full nolathane rubber kit?would this make car handle well?also sway bars?what brands?i was lookin at whiteline but i think kmacalso do adjustable bars.any help please?

NL fairlane soon to be blown :)

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The engines not really a rev-er. Keep the stock weight.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

YES you can notice it.

i fitted a yella terra one to my EF XR6

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Krytox wrote:
The engines not really a rev-er. Keep the stock weight.

yep, only really for high revving, high HP motors to extract that little more power at the wheels

arent you supposed to lose low down torque with lightened flywheels?

you could just fit an EA flywheel....

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

It may make it idle a little rougher, and easier to stall, not saying it will happen, but you'll see what I mean. The engine might slow down quicker too in over-run.

With Super Low's a shorter shock will be better, so you're not always riding on a semi compressed shock.

May not need swaybars either, I was keen on doing that, but GSA advised to wait and see, and mine handles real nice as is.

Funny thing is, every suspension place has advised to steer away from Nolathane. Stick with rubber bushes etc, fine for the street. Could be wrong; but I think Nolathane or other poly urethane items require re-greasing or something every 6 months, so they don't break??

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

fkn double post

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

mine hits the limiter pretty hard and i was lookin for acceleration times as i am goin to drift it and do skids aswell as drag it.........also daily driver.has shaved,ported and polished head,extractors,exhaust,pod filter,cam still to come,has stocky double tickford valve springs.looking at upping the rev limiter as 5600-5700 it just wants to keep going,i could turnit to about 6300 with no trouble.its a nice 4 liter and it goes hard

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

$450 it is then

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: eb

QLD, Australia

Mate its a family car not a race car if you wat it to perform like a race car you'll have to spend 10s of thousands on it save your money and buy a nissan skyline gt-r or a falcon f6 typhoon you will come out in front easily

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED Fairmont

VIC, Australia

$450 for a flywheel? just get yours lightened, i just did a search, for no more than $100 bucks to get it shaved. then you have to get it balanced

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:23 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: XR6 XH Ute

VIC, Australia

nolathane should only be used were their is a single axis of movement. e.g. up down, noy forward back left right up down
i've got a full kit in the ute and with the aftermarket springs it's hard as f**k. but handles good.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

to all the people making these posts.
HAVE YOU EVER DRIVEN A FALCON 6CYL WITH A LIGHT FLYWHEEL FITTED TO IT?

mine idles like stock. has nice flat torque curve.
and my GF can drive the car with out any problems.
so i don't see how any of you can be making all those claims

Last edited by tickford_6 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

djinsane wrote:
Mate its a family car not a race car if you wat it to perform like a race car you'll have to spend 10s of thousands on it save your money and buy a nissan skyline gt-r or a falcon f6 typhoon you will come out in front easily

if i had 45-50 grand i doubt id be driving a bloody eseries,its an xr6 so i am starting with a bit more then a family car,im not a rich a*** and cant afford to go out and buy some s**t expensive performance car,i wont have to spend tens of thousands of dollars on it as you can build a full prep race car for 14 grand,i just want quicker acceleration and a more responsive engine,im dropping the diff ratio to like 3.23 or a 3.45 lsd and then doin flywheel and clutch with aluminium tailshaft all up should cost me about 1200,svaes me about 43 grand cos the price of the typhoons is slowly coming down

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

fezagero wrote:
djinsane wrote:

if i had 45-50 grand i doubt id be driving a bloody eseries,its an xr6 so i am starting with a bit more then a family car,im not a rich a*** and cant afford to go out and buy some s**t expensive performance car,i wont have to spend tens of thousands of dollars on it as you can build a full prep race car for 14 grand,i just want quicker acceleration and a more responsive engine,im dropping the diff ratio to like 3.23 or a 3.45 lsd and then doin flywheel and clutch with aluminium tailshaft all up should cost me about 1200,svaes me about 43 grand cos the price of the typhoons is slowly coming down

xr6=family car with a body kit, LSD and SLIGHTLY improved suspension and performance, and a full prep race car for $14grand? I won't even go there....(think about it, engine will atleast cost half that, atleast)

but on topic, i have driven my mates EF with a lightened flywheel and didn't notice any problem with idle or it being harder to drive. For the suspension it will dramatically improve the handling if you get Superlows with shortened shocks and get front and rear swaybars done, but in terms of drifting you will find it much easier if you get either coilovers or something with higher spring rate (I know pedders make coilovers for the front, don't know how good they are though).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

fezagero wrote:
djinsane wrote:

an XR6 should already have 3.45:1 in the diff and come factory with an alloy tail shaft..

if all you are after is a bit poke, do the flywheel and clutch, get a set pacemaker extractors, either type there is f**k all between them.
a 2.5 inch exhaust with a tri-flow muffler and tail pipe resonator (to keep the noise level sane) stick with the stock cam, have the head shaved and use an AU headgasket to bring compression to about 10:1

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next