Fordmods Logo

Locktite on BBM bolt 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Re: Locktite on BBM bolt
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:32 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

actually i found that all the bbm bolts are loctited from factory..
i found this when i removed the bbm from my au engine to fit the el bbm..
not the easiest to undo.. :evil:

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Bionic BA MkII XR6

Power: 175 rwkw

WA, Australia

The hex heads bolts holding the top of the BBM to the lower section are real pricks too.

I picked up a full inlet manifold - top and bottom section for my BA XR6 - I have polished up the top section and now have the daunting task of taking the old one out of the car, and fitting back the new polished one. There are two in particular at the back on the engine size that my socket is too big to get too - need a long shaft hex key and hope like hell I don'strip the bolt....

BIONIC 2005 BA Mk2 XR6 - XR8 Snorkle - Typhoon 2nd CAI - K & N Panel Filter - polished BBM intake - polished ceramic coated Pacemaker 4490 headers - Magnaflow 3.5" high flow Cat - Full mandrel stainless exh syst - 4speed SSS -BPT Custom tune - 20% UDrive - XR8 Calipers/rotors - 175 rwkw

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

I honestly don't get why somethings have locktite applied at all. If they are torqued to the right nm it should be fine.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Froudey wrote:
I honestly don't get why somethings have locktite applied at all. If they are torqued to the right nm it should be fine.

specially with ally coz it stretches and holds the bolt. but still even at the rate my bf idles sometimes they're subject to alot of harsh vibration.'NVH' will also loosen things.and to add to that the fine condition of all and every road in aus being collectively ROOTED doesnt help. the roads around here destry me and my ea (read: too stiff)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:15 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i can understand using them on the manifold bolts..
look at alot of the idling issues with e series are leaking manifold gaskets from loose bolts..
nearly every e series i have owned has had loose manifold bolts at some stage..

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ashcook wrote:
Whose stupid idea at Ford was it to put locktite on a the bolt underneath the back of the BBM that braces to the block? What a f**k that guy is. :evil: Two hours it took to get it undone. There's no room to swing a spanner so from underneath I got a ratchet spanner onto it. I was able to move it one click at a time but it wasn't easy. Then of course the head of the bolt stripped. Tried to undo it from the other end of the brace, the bolt wont come all the way out because of the starter motor. So I try to undo the starter motor but I can't for the life of me get any access to the top bolt. There is wiring and piping every because of the LPG injection so you can't see or get to squat. I end up trying to cut the stripped bolt but that takes 20 mins to get less than half way through. So I then cut the brace. That was easier but f**k! Boy am I rooted. And to top it all off, once I released the fuel lines I had a bath in fuel. So my right arm is red raw and I stick to high heaven. 4 hours of work, 4 bolts undone, a bunch of wiring removed and a bath in fuel, what a C*** of a day!

And suddenly we realize why it cost what it does to have a mechanic work on your car.........

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: toyo,2ea,3eb,1ef,1el,zh

QLD, Australia

:D yes they can be a pain--until you learn to use small blowtorch $14 on them for a couple of seconds-- they then undo very easily. 8-)

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
ashcook wrote:
Whose stupid idea at Ford was it to put locktite on a the bolt underneath the back of the BBM that braces to the block? What a f**k that guy is. :evil: Two hours it took to get it undone. There's no room to swing a spanner so from underneath I got a ratchet spanner onto it. I was able to move it one click at a time but it wasn't easy. Then of course the head of the bolt stripped. Tried to undo it from the other end of the brace, the bolt wont come all the way out because of the starter motor. So I try to undo the starter motor but I can't for the life of me get any access to the top bolt. There is wiring and piping every because of the LPG injection so you can't see or get to squat. I end up trying to cut the stripped bolt but that takes 20 mins to get less than half way through. So I then cut the brace. That was easier but f**k! Boy am I rooted. And to top it all off, once I released the fuel lines I had a bath in fuel. So my right arm is red raw and I stick to high heaven. 4 hours of work, 4 bolts undone, a bunch of wiring removed and a bath in fuel, what a C*** of a day!

And suddenly we realize why it cost what it does to have a mechanic work on your car.........

Hear, hear!!!....^^^^^.......... :)

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

i just did mine .
stand on the left engine mount and put your rachet and hand down the drivers side of the map sensor.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]