Fordmods Logo

Long Term Car Storage - Tips?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Long Term Car Storage - Tips??
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

WA, Australia

Hey Guys.....I might have to go overseas for a year or so, and will probably store the EL in a mates shed during that time. Cant bear to sell my baby!

Any tips for long term storage so that the car doesnt deteriorate to a piece of s**t by the time i get back?

I know the obvious one is to take out the battery.....but what about tyres? Should the car be chocked up? And paintwork issues?

Thorpy says single wipers are Fully SIK!

EL Futura Dynamic White
Tickford Suspension
K&N Hi flow and XR8 snorkel
DBA Slots and braided lines

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

dunno a mates dad stores his EH race/show car under blankets hes been overseas for a couple of years now and it still looks mint when we take the covers off to start her up everynow and again.

thats prob a good idea get ure mate to start it up everynow and again to stop it from seizing

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Spray some wd40 down inket before shuting it off, make sure coolant is correct mixture.Either put car on stands or inflate tyres 10 Lb higher..Take battery out..Throw a paper type car cover over it, leave one window 10mm down to breath...Lare model cars there;s realy not an issue..My father used to leave his cars at airport for 6 months at a time.. He just fitted a solar blanket on rear parcel shelf to keep battery charged.. Bought it from marine supply...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

yeah - def put the car up on stands mate ... take battery out if you want but try to have as little fuel left in as possible. Then when you come back fill it up with fresh fuel and she should start pretty well.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

yeah dont let a full tank of fuel go stale... but leave a little in it and get ya mate to start it every 3 - 4 weeks... and yeah make sure you've got fresh/clean fluids in it... clean it and cover it

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Block up the air intake/exhuast etc with some old rags to stop insects making a home in there.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I've been away from my car for about a year and I think (if you have the option) that the best way is to have the car started up every few weeks or so and driven so: you can fill up once in a while with good fuel, tyres don't harden so much, shocks don't harden, engine and oil gets to breath, battery gets charged etc etc. But all that is only if it's driven for more than 10 minutes a time at least.. Otherwise follow EBXR8380's advice.

Problem is finding someone you can really trust, for me it's easy; mum.. And it can be washed and taken after too if a problem arises. But I'm not sure if that is an option to you lol.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Don;'t leave your fuel tank empty! THat is what causses them to rust, your better off filling it full and syphooning it out when you get back that coming back to a tank that's been rusting for the last few years!

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:51 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Don;'t leave your fuel tank empty! THat is what causses them to rust, your better off filling it full and syphooning it out when you get back that coming back to a tank that's been rusting for the last few years!

Those of us that drive sedans have a plastic fuel tank... Kinda hard for it to rust. :D

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

Those of us that drive sedans have a plastic fuel tank... Kinda hard for it to rust. :D

you beat me lol... are the wagons fitted with a steel tank ?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:
arm79 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

you beat me lol... are the wagons fitted with a steel tank ?

Yeah, wagons got the steal tank.

But I always was told its best to leave your car with a full tank of fuel. Less chance of condensation building up within the tank and then getting into the fuel lines, filter, etc.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

is your mate into cars/know wat he's on about??

coz yeah if its someone you know you can trust then yeah get them to take it for a 30 min drive every month

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]