Fordmods Logo

Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 24

Posts: 39

Joined: 26th Oct 2011

Ride: fairmont

Location: Minto
NSW, Australia

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/strathfi ... 1002350107

Hi how is everyone going. Im looking at buying a worked manual falcon and found this one of interest.

Its a EF series 2 Fairmont with a supposed EF XR6 running gear and more.

I'm sus as Ive contacted the seller and he says he has no proof and the previous owner did it all.

Is there any way I can prove any of the parts or their existence. My first give away was the stock color rocker

 

 

Attachments:
File comment: engine
6616lnj_20.jpeg
6616lnj_20.jpeg [ 85.58 KiB | Viewed 19 times ]

Last edited by aurnob on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 546

Joined: 5th Jun 2010

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

get a close up pick of the front of the head, needs to have a big T on it for tickford.

TBH its a bit pricey for a 309,000km car fairmont or not.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 24

Posts: 39

Joined: 26th Oct 2011

Ride: fairmont

Location: Minto
NSW, Australia

wtbdlltd wrote:
get a close up pick of the front of the head, needs to have a big T on it for tickford.

TBH its a bit pricey for a 309,000km car fairmont or not.


yeah i reckon i could get the owner down to 3000 or less so that wont be a problem if so
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

id rather being stepping to an AUII/III AU than a worn out e-series if your looking at cheap cars

el cheapo example
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 0-11162871

why not stretch the budget to 5k and get a nice example, or possibly a ghia or a VCT XR6
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 24

Posts: 39

Joined: 26th Oct 2011

Ride: fairmont

Location: Minto
NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
id rather being stepping to an AUII/III AU than a worn out e-series if your looking at cheap cars

el cheapo example
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 0-11162871

why not stretch the budget to 5k and get a nice example, or possibly a ghia or a VCT XR6


want a cheap "manual" falcon which already has motor mods done to it, so i can work on it as well.

also not a big fan of the au, and there arent currently any worked ones for sale.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

well yeah manual AU's are hard to find unless you go the XR's

forget about the looks of the AU, anyone who has one swears by them being a reliable well built car. And a good example stock will go harder than a flogged out e-series with cam/tickford head etc etc.

possibly test drive one and see for yourself?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 24

Posts: 39

Joined: 26th Oct 2011

Ride: fairmont

Location: Minto
NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
well yeah manual AU's are hard to find unless you go the XR's

forget about the looks of the AU, anyone who has one swears by them being a reliable well built car. And a good example stock will go harder than a flogged out e-series with cam/tickford heard etc etc.

possibly test drive one and see for yourself?


yeah i owned a gas au2 fairmont before. car was prety s**t overall, maybe coz it was thrashed and auto, but didnt enjoy driving it
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

oh ok then

high km EF sounds like the car for you.

as mentioned, "T" stamped on the front of the head means its a tickford head, and cam number will be engraved on the front of the cam but will need to remove rocker cover and cam gear to be visible. Good luck with it.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 24

Posts: 39

Joined: 26th Oct 2011

Ride: fairmont

Location: Minto
NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
oh ok then

high km EF sounds like the car for you.

as mentioned, "T" stamped on the front of the head means its a tickford head, and cam number will be engraved on the front of the cam but will need to remove rocker cover and cam gear to be visible. Good luck with it.


dont know if the "high km EF" was a sarcastic comment or not, but im not limited to this particular car or EF's in general. so im still looking around to be honest.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 963

Joined: 14th Jul 2007

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

Location: Back in
ACT, Australia

aurnob wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
oh ok then

high km EF sounds like the car for you.

as mentioned, "T" stamped on the front of the head means its a tickford head, and cam number will be engraved on the front of the cam but will need to remove rocker cover and cam gear to be visible. Good luck with it.


dont know if the "high km EF" was a sarcastic comment or not, but im not limited to this particular car or EF's in general. so im still looking around to be honest.


Mate I'll sell you my 96 ghia auto for 2,300 and with the 1,700 you would have spent on the Fairmont you can spend on manual conversion

 

_________________

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:51 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 60

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

aurnob wrote:
Hi how is everyone going. Im looking at buying a worked manual falcon and found this one of interest.
Its a EF series 2 Fairmont with a supposed EF XR6 running gear and more.
Is there any way I can prove any of the parts or their existence.


1) Full EF XR6 running gear, 20k Shaved Head:
A) As has been said, check the front of the head to a Tickford Emblem, T. If it says 94AB, it is a stock EF Head.
2) Wade 1673 Cam.
A) As said as well, you will need to remove the rocker cover as well as the cam gear to see it is marked. Doubt the owner will let you pull the car apart.
3) Heavy duty clutch.
A) Drive it and find out.
4) XR Sway Bars.
A) s**t. No such thing. All factory swaybars fitted to all EF/EL vehicles were the same. wether it be a Taxi pack or an XR or Fairmont.
5)Pedders Springs, Camber Caster Kits.
A) Have a look. Pedders springs are Red. King are yellow, Lovells are blue and stock are black. Check the camber kit and you will see if it is fitted.
6)3.45 LSD, DBA Rotors(slotted front).
A) Crawl under the rear and have a look at the diff, it will be marked with 3.45:1 on a tag. As for the Discs, easy have a look.
7) Extractors.
A) Yes they are fitted.
8) XR Front seats.
A)Pull the covers off and have a look. Fairmont seats are more comfortable.
9) XR Manual computer.
A) Pop the left kick panel and pull the ECU. It will have a code on it which you can reference to check if it is an XR Manual ECU or if it is the Auto ECU and has been reistor tricked.
10) Pod in Airbox.
A) Pop the air box lid and have a look, As for Pod, big deal, you would be better of with a stock panel filter.
11) 16X8 Wheels.
A) Yes fitted. Yuk.
12) 140 KW at the Wheels and 492NM of tourque at the wheels.
A) Ask to produce the Dyno Sheet and who's Dyno was it run on. 140 is not a big number and if it has the Wade cam with extractors and a 2.5" exhaust that will be about right.
13) The car is in A1 mechanical condition.
A) Take it for a drive and find out.
14)A regrettable sale take just one drive and you will buy
A) Yeh right, up himself.

If you like I work at Silverwater and would be happy to take a trip over with you through the day to check it out.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 24

Posts: 39

Joined: 26th Oct 2011

Ride: fairmont

Location: Minto
NSW, Australia

Yeah mate i might take you up on that if i do go
Was that for free or did u want cash
Im still looking around though cause 310kms is on the high side and would make.it hard to sell
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:19 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 60

Posts: 6817

Joined: 22nd Jun 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

Happy to do it for free. Needs to be done during the day Mon to Friday. 7am to 3pm.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 24

Posts: 39

Joined: 26th Oct 2011

Ride: fairmont

Location: Minto
NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
Happy to do it for free. Needs to be done during the day Mon to Friday. 7am to 3pm.


No worries then mate will get back to you then. Nice to see a guy from Ctown by the way haha
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Looking at a worked Fairmont. Identification Techniques
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1507

Joined: 14th Aug 2009

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

Location: Gosnells, Perth
WA, Australia

140 rwkw with amost 500 nm... doubt that torque reading.

 

_________________

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:41 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names