Fordmods Logo

Looking to buy a new car.... 

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Looking to buy a new car....
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Firstly, I'm guessing that I am posting in the incorrect forum, however, there is no clear alternative. So if this is clutter for this forum, feel free to move it to the appropriate area.

Secondly, a family member of mine has been a member here for quite some time and told me to post my questions/concerns here as you all would have a better grasp of my confusion.

I am looking ta buying a new (used) car. I drove a Ford 12 months ago as a hire car and was extremely impressed. Having said this I am intently looking at the Fords. My Budget is $10,000 approx. I have looked at models ranging from the 2002 Ba all the way through to the 2007 BF MKII.

I have read far too many threads on here blasting the BA model in general and it's transmission/diff. This has made me pause; obviously. I was very interested in a 2003 XR6, however, upon reading I now have concerns. My mechanic has advised me not to worry so much about what I read, however, he also said if I could find a BF MKII with the 6spd auto then I should buy that.

Obviously performance and reliability is extremely important, however, there is something to be said for 'styling'. Sure the BF has the 'perceived' edge in performance but the BA XR6 (2003) undoubtedly has far better styling.

My question is this....

With a $10k budget, considering my above diatribe... Which way should I go and why?

Post subject: Re: Looking to buy a new car....
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I'm well aware that I can get either under 10k, just a matter of which one; like me original post stated.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

darrenG wrote:
Obviously performance and reliability is extremely important, however, there is something to be said for 'styling'.

if your intent on looking for 6cyl models then i beleive an AU III XR6 Sprint ticks the above boxes. Styling is personal choice obviously, but the right looking AU has more of a presence on the road than a BA/BF :wink:

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

VIC, Australia

ill agree the AU if done right turns heads left right and centre... personally i like the ride better...

NOTHING BEATS THE SOUND OF A GRUNTY V8!!!

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Sorry Ash, I must not have read your post correctly.

The link you used (although I'm sure you were only using it as reference) isn't much help to me considering I'm in Melbourne.

Any thoughts on my original confusion though??

BA? BA MKII? BA XR6? BF? BF MKII? BK MKII XR6?

Mechanically? Is the transmission a REAL problem, or is it something the internet kids whinge about? If the BF is better, is it only better if it is the 6spd auto since the 4spd I believe is the same as the BA?

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ba xr6

NSW, Australia

well i just got my BA 2003 xr6 and i love it no problems with anything and would recomend a B series.

Jake

Ba Xr6: running lpg lowed with super lows and a GME uhf!
Mods to come are: manual, leathers.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

how can you say you like the styling of a ba over a bf? its just a different front bumper.

In any case get the bf. end of story.

Stick a ba front bumper on it if you must.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Barry, a BA XR6 has far different styling than a BF XT MKII that is much more than a bumper.

No thoughts from anyone on the mechanical side between the BA and the bf? Is the bf only better if it has the 6spd?

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The BF is also a little bit more powerful and uses a heater exhange to cool the transmission which from what i have been told is better than what the BA uses but still prone to failing.

Here is an interesting site that Papa Smurf linked, you can use it to compare the 2 models

BA: http://www.fordspec.com.au/specifications/ba.php

BF: http://www.fordspec.com.au/specifications/bf.php

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:28 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

darrenG wrote:
Barry, a BA XR6 has far different styling than a BF XT MKII that is much more than a bumper.

No thoughts from anyone on the mechanical side between the BA and the bf? Is the bf only better if it has the 6spd?

You're comparing an XR6 to an XT...of course they will be different. BA XR6 and BF XR6 OR BA XT and BF XT...not much difference.

You can't compare looks if you're not even comparing the same model. It's like comparing Miranda Kerr to your local check out chick...it's not in the same class/category.

I have also heard/read that the 6 speed is rather much better than the old 4 speed. So if you can get a 6 speed that would benefit you, even if you need to save another 1K or 2 for it.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

darrenG wrote:

a fg gt has a different styling to a focus too..? and its benny

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Taking my statement to the ridiculous extremity doesn't prove your moot point. The XR6 (unless I am mistaken) is just a better styled XT, hence why I used the comparison of the BA XR6 to the BF MKII XT. I prefer the XR6 style wise, but concerned that the BF is much better mechanically.

Why am I comparing two different models? Because they both fit my price range. Sure I would love to compare the BF XR6 with its BA counterpart, however, it seems to be out of my price range plus it would be an asinine and pointless comparison as I would obviously take the newer model.

Thanks for the mechanical feedback. I wil take it into consideration when looking to purchase.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

seems like you already made up your mind before starting the thread?

yes. a BA XR6 is the car to buy.

you never made any comment on my suggestion of the AU, and how it does everything better than the BA?

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

darrenG wrote:
Taking my statement to the ridiculous extremity doesn't prove your moot point. The XR6 (unless I am mistaken) is just a better styled XT, hence why I used the comparison of the BA XR6 to the BF MKII XT. I prefer the XR6 style wise, but concerned that the BF is much better mechanically.

Why am I comparing two different models? Because they both fit my price range. Sure I would love to compare the BF XR6 with its BA counterpart, however, it seems to be out of my price range plus it would be an asinine and pointless comparison as I would obviously take the newer model.

Thanks for the mechanical feedback. I wil take it into consideration when looking to purchase.

If you look hard enough, or have a little bit more patience, just maybe, you can scoop up a $10K BF Mk2 XR6...if not, save another $2K to $3K and you'd have a better car to the BA XR6. Also, if you know the BF Mk2 XT is the same besides the body kit, why not just get the XT and put a kit on it later...in the end, it's just an XT in disguise.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:28 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I didn't make any comment towards the AU because I am interested in the BA or BF. I personally think the AU is awkward to look at and I'm still surprised a design team had meetings and approved the look to lead ford's future.

I hadn't made up my mind prior to posting. You guessed I'd decided the BA XR6, which proves my point, as I've settled on the BF XR6 MKII. I thought if I had doubts, the extra 2-3k is worth the peace of mind.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next