Fordmods Logo

Lower radiator hose hole, possible cooking? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Lower radiator hose hole, possible cooking?
Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

ok after a little bit of spirited driving i got home went inside and had a coffie , came back out about 10 mins to find a puddle of coolaint near my right front tyre , on closer inspection i found a hole in the botton radiator hose, now i did notice the gauge was around O when i pulled in, possible cooking?

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Post subject: Re: Lower radiator hose hole, possible cooking?
Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

IMO unless you have a faulty temp sensor in the block, the engine should be OK. I've blown hoses while towing loaded trailers and not cooked the engine. If you start using coolant after replacing the radiator hose, get the system pressure tested at a radiator repairer (as the first step to solving the problem).

How old is the thermostat?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:45 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

also keep in mind that once you turn your engine off the temp and water pressure will still rise slightly as the block is hot and the water isnt circulating and being cooled..
i would say its just a s**t or loose hose, any extra pressure in the system will be released through the rad cap before it can pop any hoses...

is this the car you just built the engine for?? didnt you fit new hoses when you put your engine in??

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

new thermo and yes it is the new engine, on inspection the old hoses looked ok, so i used them , i guess not lol lesson learnt,

had to cut the hose back to where it looks ok and plumb it back in , ( it had enough room after i chopped the bad bit off to fit it back on)

also ill have to use water until i can get glycol , something i did notice was when i took it for a test drive was , well i was driving along and was watching the temp gauge it all of a sudden rose quickley then went back down and the low coolaint gauge light came on , so i practically stuck it in neutral and rolled to the side of the road worrying it had just fked something so i checked the level and it was low, i guess the thermostat opened, filled it up and its ok now, and well is it just me or do they run cooler with water rather than glycole?

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Just remember that the lower radiator hose has a coiled spring inside it too stop it from sucking in from the water pump. If it's old etc it should be replaced................

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Shifteh wrote:
is it just me or do they run cooler with water rather than glycole?

The engine will overheat more easily with water. The glycol is there to raise the boiling point. I think, with 33% glycol, the boiling point is about 120 degrees C (and water boils at 100 degrees C).

Use the stuff with 1100mg/L of glycol.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Quote:
Just remember that the lower radiator hose has a coiled spring inside it too stop it from sucking in from the water pump. If it's old etc it should be replaced................

you mean the spring i ripped out :S ok first thing tomorow is new hoses and changing them in thecarpark if nessisary

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]