Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

is there a doco or site with wiring schematics

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

for an LPG system I dont think so, I think they are all diffrent I know my mates is, it runs a computer but his gauge is sperate to his switches, gee it was hard wiring a new one in, I know mine got 2 wires from the ECU and the red wire under the bonnet

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Setting up an LPG system is mostly up to the installers discretion. There are some Austalian Standards that need to be followed (don't ask me where or what they are), but its mostly common sense. Like not routing the gas line around your rear coil spring etc ;-) I had an EB, just got the EF and put new gas on that. The layout under the car and in the boot was basically the same, I just bought an impco adapter and stuck that on, spoke to a few certified gas installers, and did it myself. Its all legal, checked and certified. Nobody wants to be driving around in a time-bomb, especially if you have family. DIY is great for LPG - I saved $$$, but do get it checked by a propepr installer after. Little things like not moving the PCV vacuum line after installation can cause catastrophic accidents.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

got most of it sorted - tank /converter/gastec fuel processor fitted

just need to source mixer for EL and wiring schematic for auto start on petrol and where to tap into water system("T" piece on thermostat housing but where else)??

anyone help with this pls

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

tiny56 wrote:
got most of it sorted - tank /converter/gastec fuel processor fitted

just need to source mixer for EL and wiring schematic for auto start on petrol and where to tap into water system("T" piece on thermostat housing but where else)??

anyone help with this pls

I wouldn't tap into the small hose in the top of the thermostat housing. Its main function is to let air out of the engine and return it to the header tank, so not a lot of water flow in there. Best to tap into the heater hoses below the intake manifold & before the heater tap.

As for Fuel Start, Mine was incorporated into the Petrol-LPG Switch/LPG gauge. All controlled from one unit.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i meant remove temp sensor and place brass "t" there and fit sensor in T and barb take of for coolant line to convertor - maybe other one near heater tap - what ya reckon?

ive got a gas/petrol combination switch with fuel gauge that will be mounted inside cabin and a separate timer relay

i found a circuit from 'GASTEC' that feeds a timer relay from the starter motor and operates the injectors for 2 seconds or cuts out when key is released

so ya get gas plus a 2 second feed of petrol - this sound safe?

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

tiny56 wrote:
i meant remove temp sensor and place brass "t" there and fit sensor in T and barb take of for coolant line to convertor - maybe other one near heater tap - what ya reckon?

ive got a gas/petrol combination switch with fuel gauge that will be mounted inside cabin and a separate timer relay

i found a circuit from 'GASTEC' that feeds a timer relay from the starter motor and operates the injectors for 2 seconds or cuts out when key is released

so ya get gas plus a 2 second feed of petrol - this sound safe?

Personally I'd Tap both convertor hoses into heater hoses, and leave the Coolant Sensor alone.

Will this timer mean you car will be "duel fueling" on startup? Maybe 2 seconds wont be an issue, then again it may not be long enough.
The reason I ask is, when my EA fuel start f**k up, it was giving both LPG and Petrol which made it very hard to start. Ended up removing it, then it would start easy on LPG only.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yes it will be dual fueling for 2 seconds or until key is released from cranking

ill have to have a closer look at the coolant lines - i know on my old EA one connection was definately taken from the thermostat housing

thanks for your input - much appreciated :D

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

If you shove your arm under the intake and feel around a bit, theres a little piece of short hose (around 10-15cm long) that connects two pieces of pipe there. I pulled that off, threw it away, and just ran my coolant lines off that. Not sure, but I think thatsz where they put the factory gas where fitted. Very easy to get to as well.

As for autostart on fuel - gas is a b**ch to control compared to EFI petrol. You want your engine bay gas lock solenoid as close to the converter as possible (generally mounted and plumbed directly ON the converter itself), and keep the vapour line as short as possible eg. not set up like mine :) Its way too long - i'll be moving it to right next to the converter some day soon. Since theres always a little bit of gas left in the line once the solenoid is turned off, the shorter everything is, the smoother the transition will be. I've tried toying with an auto swith, but its only good if your RPM is the same each time, as it is basicly just a very short timer. I simply wanted to remove the flooding (duel fuelling) point i had, because the switch had no central off.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:57 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

i dont run a petrol start on my el....starts first time every time.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:00 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

dont wanna be a stick in the mud but how you gonna go getting this plated??

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

clydetj wrote:
dont wanna be a stick in the mud but how you gonna go getting this plated??

licenced fitter will be installing new gas lines and certifying - i dont see y i cant fit everything else

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2