Fordmods Logo

Lukey Exhausts 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Lukey Exhausts
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED Falcon

WA, Australia

Hey, I'm getting an exhaust next week, and I've been gathering quotes together.

So far, the deal I'm looking at is a Lukey 1 muffler Mandrel Bent. $250 from the cat back. $700 for the exhaust and Lukey Extractors.

The bloke told me it was mid range stuff, where as Pacemaker is the good quality.

Does anyone out there have Lukey gear? Is it good, any problems?

Ta

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I've got a Lukey exhaust, no problems with it seems fine to me. My extractors are pacies though.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

SA, Australia

Lukey extractors are s**t aparently, but theyre exhausts/mufflers are s**t hot

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Hmm.. I might have to swallow my wallet (wtf?) and spend another $90 to get the Pacies.

Can anyone confirm that the Lukey Extractors are worthy of the toilet?

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

Hmm, heard bad things about lukey extractors, don't think they give much advantage. the exhausts are supposed to be fine though.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

That does it then, Pacies it is.

I'm really looking forward to getting my exhaust. I want to show off to my friends. :D

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Lukey exhausts are the s**t! Seriously they sound awsome! I had a stainless steel setup on my XC 302 with Lukey mufflers that had been on there for 12 years no worries and the previous bloke was towing his boat with it.
My EF I6 had Lukey extractors and a Lukey off the shelf set up. I have now changed to Pacemaker Comp extractors and it was definately worth it! So much more low and mid range go!
As for my exhaust still the luckey one, but I removed teh tailpipe and turned it into a diff dumper, all painted black now.
And my Valiant with a 265 Hemi has Lukey extractors which I'm very happy with (very similar design to the E49 ones)! The exhaust is marine grade stainless with a Lukey Race muffler and it sounds awsome!
Lukey exhausts are absolutely awsome, there extractors arn't good for the Falcons at least.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6 Hybrid

ACT, Australia

Yeh don't go the lukey extractors.. there not to good. But lukey exhaust is indeed the way to go ;) I swear mine sounds like an 8 8-)

Manual EL XR6, 2.5" Lukey Exhaust System, Pacemaker 4499 extractors, K-mack Adjustable camber kit, Pedders adjustable coilovers, K&N intake, 18" BSA291's, Full Alpine Tyre R entertainment system.
Formerly known as Liam~EF 95

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

these extractors are much of a muchness, the diff between lukey and pacies would be no more than 2 KW difference

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
these extractors are much of a muchness, the diff between lukey and pacies would be no more than 2 KW difference

s**t, obviously you have never compared them. There is both a huge difference in the design of the two and the power output, the Lukey oens are small squished up and are almost like someone has tried to make something inbetween a conventional set of extractors and the orginal exhaust manifold. The Pacey Comps are long and go right down, the pipes swirl around so that there all the same length. The difference, when I went from the Lukeys to the Pacey Comps the oomph off the line was much more impressive, change in sound aswell (but not for better or worse), also felt better in the mid range, as for high, I don't know the wagons always choked up high (on gas it seems the converter is to small and on petrol it's because of having the LPG mixer ring in the intake). But seriously there is a big difference!
You may be right in 2kw peak power difference, but the low down torque difference (which in reality is what is important to most of us as that is were we drive our car), is great.

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
smiley235 wrote:

s**t, obviously you have never compared them. There is both a huge difference in the design of the two and the power output, the Lukey oens are small squished up and are almost like someone has tried to make something inbetween a conventional set of extractors and the orginal exhaust manifold. The Pacey Comps are long and go right down, the pipes swirl around so that there all the same length. The difference, when I went from the Lukeys to the Pacey Comps the oomph off the line was much more impressive, change in sound aswell (but not for better or worse), also felt better in the mid range, as for high, I don't know the wagons always choked up high (on gas it seems the converter is to small and on petrol it's because of having the LPG mixer ring in the intake). But seriously there is a big difference!
You may be right in 2kw peak power difference, but the low down torque difference (which in reality is what is important to most of us as that is were we drive our car), is great.

YAY TO LOW DOWN TORQUE!!!!! \o/ <-----thats a person with their hands up

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xh xr6

VIC, Australia

yeh lukey extractors are s**t but good zorst's. pay the little extra
pay penuts get monkeys!!!

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

twr7cx, what does the exorst sound like when you dump it just behind the diff? hav u got a pic? how much louder is it than normal? would you describe the sound as like a v8 etc? do you only have the centre muffler and thats it? do you notice any more or less power? sorry for all the questions but i want to do it to my edxr6. thanks

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
smiley235 wrote:

your suspicions in my lack of personal comparisons are correct, I should have specified my comments to be solely based on what an exhaust shop told me.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

GRN-WGN wrote:
twr7cx, what does the exorst sound like when you dump it just behind the diff? hav u got a pic? how much louder is it than normal? would you describe the sound as like a v8 etc? do you only have the centre muffler and thats it? do you notice any more or less power? sorry for all the questions but i want to do it to my edxr6. thanks

Firstly there's no way your going to loose power by dumping it at the diff, in theory you should make more power as your exhaust will flow better - for two reasons, a. if your car is low and you put a curved tip can creat a venturi like scenario, so that the air traveling under the car helps to scavenge/suck/pull the gases out the exhaust, and b. because you have now removed your tail pipe you have reduced the amount of bends/corners the gas has to flow through - bends and corners also restrict the gas flow. Other advantage is you save money by not having to get a tailpipe, but it is illegal to end the exhaust before the last opening of the vehicle in most states (it's illegal for my wagon and legal for my ute), to compensate I have a fake tip sitting in my back bar, had to do something to fill the hole and not make it so obvious.
The set up is down throguh the Pacemaker Comp extractors into a 2 1/2" high flow cat converter, then it's just straight 2 1/2" mild steel Lukey pipe into a 2 1/2" Lukey hot dog, more pipe then 2 1/2" Lukey Ultraflow offset straight through muffler (mounted in the spot that the original factory muffler was), and out of that is a mandrell bent dump tip. If I did it again only difference would be probably not to use an offset muffler (but since the original set up had a tailpipe it was needed), reason being that a center to center would have slightly better flow. I'd probably also use the Lukey Race muffler instead of the Ultraflow, there not that much more expensive and the design is heavier duty, there also stainless.
As for noise, she's bloody loud, past the legal limit, don't ask me why it's so loud as it really shouldn't be, running it with just extractors and cat converter (no mufflers) was not much louder - my ute with the Hemi 265 has just extractors and a single Lukey Race center to center straight through muffler, dumped at the diff and isn't much louder - and it has no cat converter or hot dog. As for sounding like a V8, yeah most people who arn't familiar with 8's do mistake it, but in all seriousness 6's just can't sound like an 8. But having it end under the car she sounds extremely gruff at idle as you get an echoing type noise from under the car - also if you park on a dirt road and rev at idle blows dust out from under the car and that - lol.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]