Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Making a i6 Bitsa
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

hi everybody

i have reading a lot of topics and posts most of them similiar but differnt and i am getting the impression that i could make a monster of a 6 Cyl engine if i like got the head of a AU and Bottom end of EA/EB/ED EF/EL and like intake manifold of EF , and like electornics could i just use the looms and alike from a EA or ED or AU.

Like all them engines are pretty bolt together like yeah and thoughts ideas and what kind of power would i get etc or if i did do something like thing will it be like a EL engine or AU enigine or ED eninge
any comments can't hurt, cause i have a EA CPI and if i could muck around and build a bitsa engine

and if people can't understand this read it a couple of times you'll get the point.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

like knock yourself out dude,,have a crack and like see if workz,,yeah

Post subject: Re: Making a i6 Bitsa
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Froudey wrote:
hi everybody

i have reading a lot of topics and posts most of them similiar but differnt and i am getting the impression that i could make a monster of a 6 Cyl engine if i like got the head of a AU and Bottom end of EA/EB/ED EF/EL and like intake manifold of EF , and like electornics could i just use the looms and alike from a EA or ED or AU.

Like all them engines are pretty bolt together like yeah and thoughts ideas and what kind of power would i get etc or if i did do something like thing will it be like a EL engine or AU enigine or ED eninge
any comments can't hurt, cause i have a EA CPI and if i could muck around and build a bitsa engine

and if people can't understand this read it a couple of times you'll get the point.

JMM reckon that using an AU block with an early EF head is the best way to go.

I'd also be inclined to use the EF intake tube as well. Looks better and probably IS better.

I like your thinking, especially if you could pick the parts up cheaper than a complete engine :)

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:23 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

by the intake maifild I assume you are refering to the broad band manifold not the CAI system. if you plan on running this with a pre EF ECU you will need a rev switch to switch the butterflies in the manifolds, alternatly running it with a EL ecu is a better option unless you want to use aftermarket ECU, if thats the case you may wat to send jistfordima a pm and have a talk to him about megasquirt 2's. if you run a pre EF ECU then you will need the standard intake runners not the BBM unless you run the aformentioned option.
EF ECU's are not the ideal as you will need to run a coil pack setup, an EL ECU is designed to run the dizzy setup. the AU ecu has the same issue as I mentioned with the EF, that being coil pack based.
but otherwise they are reasonably modular in that just about all E series and AU series is pretty much interchangable.

Head wise, the E series heads flow best, and there are plenty of cam option avalible for them as well, much higher gains with some port and polish work, the AU bottom ends are better balanced/more refined than the E series bottom ends as a general rule, but I'm sure there is a big area of debate about what works best, one that I am not about to get into in your thread,

the work behind the BBM is that the ECU switches the butterflies at 3800 rpm and optimises torque and economy.

the AU block will not fit into an E series car without modifications being done the either the K-frame or the sump or both, there is plenty of instuction on this site on what to do in this instance.

If you want some info on Head work and Cams and just general info PM Jaysen heads and cams he can give you more info than you can absorb.

few start points for you.

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
by the intake maifild I assume you are refering to the broad band manifold not the CAI system. if you plan on running this with a pre EF ECU you will need a rev switch to switch the butterflies in the manifolds, alternatly running it with a EL ecu is a better option unless you want to use aftermarket ECU, if thats the case you may wat to send jistfordima a pm and have a talk to him about megasquirt 2's. if you run a pre EF ECU then you will need the standard intake runners not the BBM unless you run the aformentioned option.
EF ECU's are not the ideal as you will need to run a coil pack setup, an EL ECU is designed to run the dizzy setup. the AU ecu has the same issue as I mentioned with the EF, that being coil pack based.
but otherwise they are reasonably modular in that just about all E series and AU series is pretty much interchangable.

Head wise, the E series heads flow best, and there are plenty of cam option avalible for them as well, much higher gains with some port and polish work, the AU bottom ends are better balanced/more refined than the E series bottom ends as a general rule, but I'm sure there is a big area of debate about what works best, one that I am not about to get into in your thread,

the work behind the BBM is that the ECU switches the butterflies at 3800 rpm and optimises torque and economy.

the AU block will not fit into an E series car without modifications being done the either the K-frame or the sump or both, there is plenty of instuction on this site on what to do in this instance.

If you want some info on Head work and Cams and just general info PM Jaysen heads and cams he can give you more info than you can absorb.

few start points for you.

I thought the butterfly to the shorter runners opens at 3,700rpm? But I'm just being an a**hole now :lol:

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

3800rpm rings a bell to me.

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

yah 3800 it is, mine was locked open (high rpm) for a while, boy do you really feel the lack of low down power, boot it and wait wait.... 3800 BOOOM your outa here.

that was a fun two weeks. :evil:

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]