Making own exhaust? 

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

cannon is bad word on these forums....
i assume since you said a dumper after, you used a "hotdog" resonator.

90db is not loud at all, a mate got epa'd with a two muffler redback and failed, got 92db.

that being said ive never had issues at police road stops, and my car poopson the 90db limit, some cops have actually said "sounds good"

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR8

Power: 238 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hehe, i operate a mandrel bender at work, im currently measuring and making mine

03 XR8 ute.... 251.5rwkw and counting

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EB 5.0

NSW, Australia

hehe No it is a small HKS cannon hidden next to the spare wheel housing so nobody could see it, then we welded a 3" dump on to the end so all you see is just the tip pointing down. I work for a Japanese Import/Wrecker so just grabbed it off the shelf.

EB 5.0lt 2.5" Exhaust Kings Super Lows blah blah

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

my exhaust is dumped at the diff but with pipe at the back so it looks legal :P and it has only one muffler, and that muffler pretty much has nothing in it :P im guessing my exhaust is at around 105dB. but the only thing i get from cops is a compliment for the nice exhaust sound :lol:

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FG-XR6 EL EA '24 Dodge

NSW, Australia

In2XG
Can you show some pictures of how it is done??

As Sigfried once said "Nein Nein Ninty Nine"

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:21 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

in2xg is it true that in the mandrel bend process you use a ball to maintain the inner diameter of the tube & the expense of thses 'balls' deters alot of pipe fabricators bending stainless ?

thats what i got told recently by the 'best exaust shop in town' & the best bend i could get in 2" s/s pipe was ugly at best.

just wanting to know if i do a road trip for mandrel bends am i expecting a long day ?

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR8

Power: 238 rwkw

WA, Australia

vibr8n wrote:
in2xg is it true that in the mandrel bend process you use a ball to maintain the inner diameter of the tube & the expense of thses 'balls' deters alot of pipe fabricators bending stainless ?

thats what i got told recently by the 'best exaust shop in town' & the best bend i could get in 2" s/s pipe was ugly at best.

just wanting to know if i do a road trip for mandrel bends am i expecting a long day ?

Hey mate, we at work use a mandrel that sits inside the pipe with as you say 1 or 2 balls on the end of it depending on pip size etc. This will give you a continuous I/D of the pipe right the way around of the bend. The most time consuming effort is actully setting the machine up to bend s/s pipes, so this is probably why fabricators tend to stay away from it. Once set it will usually bend all day providing all the pipe is the same ie: pipe O/D, I/D and wall thickness all play a part in being able to bend it right Ive got it done to an art now, usually takes me around 45mins to set the machine up, where as others it take them around 2-3hrs. Its a bit hard to explain how it works without showing pics of how it works so I will take some pics of it 2morro, on my camera phone and post them up to give u an indication as to how it works.

03 XR8 ute.... 251.5rwkw and counting

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:22 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

that would be great thanks mate.

i just want pre-made mandrel bends for manifolds mostly but i had a job come up where i could definately benefit from mandrel bends, 3 meters of material.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Dude..i got a 2nd hand 2.5" catback from a wreckers for $60 plus $50 fitting and that included new rubber mounts and a warranty of 1 year. $110 for a car back is decent value.

But you can get them for $250 fitted.

If you make your own then go for it. Just i suggest 2 center mufflers and no rear resinator or 'hotdog'. Thats what i got on mine and its sweet as. The engine has a higher idle noice then the exhaust but sounds good and doesnt dron too much but at the same time sounds f**k great when you boot the mother f**k.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XC GXL

QLD, Australia

so can anyone tell me any spesifications? also whouldnt a 2.5 inch lose to much back pressure? (In a dump pipe) so in a dum shouldnt i make it 2 inch?

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

my dump pipe is 4 inches.. it won't loose back pressure at the dump, will loose back pressure from anything over 2.5" like ricey exausts n missing mufflers but when done properly will be hard to loose to much.
i'm running a high flow cat, 2.5" non-mandrel bent system with one muffler, one hot dog & one res with a dump pipe. dumpies only change sound.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I have a homemade exhaust on my 88EA sedan. The extractors are Pacemaker, the CAT is a modified BMW unit, with twin 2&1/4" to the main muffler, then a single 2&1/2" tailpipe section. I haven't had it sound tested, but it doesn't drone, and its not loud. I made the muffler out of S/steel.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Quote:
dumpies only change sound

your kidding right?

your saying if i change my oval tip to a round tip my cars sound will change?

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:10 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Have a chat to Dianne at Genie Exhaust in Myaree. Ask her nicely and I'm sure she'll let you have a scrounge through the offcuts bin. Or will supply GOOD mandrel bends at realistic prices.

She knows more about performance exhausts than most people in the industry.

Cute, too :wink:

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XC GXL

QLD, Australia

ok people recomendations on size amount of mufflers bends ect -im trying to draw up some desighns at the moment.

on an off topic note in the same class we are building a steam powered go kart...dunno what to think there....but aparantly we have just discovered that we have the ability to to make our own rims with some 25 grand machine ..wheird

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next