Fordmods Logo

Making own exhaust? 

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Making own exhaust?
Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XC GXL

QLD, Australia

gday all just wondering if it’s feasible to bother trying? iv got a workshop at school with an ex boilermaker for a materials teacher saying that he could have perfect bends using some method involving an oxy torch i.e. better than mandrel bends.

the system I have in mind is a straight through (cat back) pipe with perhaps a hotdog to reduce noise, would it be even worth contemplating? if so what dimensions would be advisable to ensure that I do not lose torque through lack of back pressure? i was thinking mayby 2 or 2 1/2 inches?

also any other things I should take into consideration? like where to bend what to bend link ups ect
for the record I drive an EB II I6 with soon to have BBM conversion hopefully extractors and a crow cam somewhere down the track, im aiming for maximum torque ect any tips from anyone in the know / traidies out there?

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

For the price of an off the shelf cat back exhaust I wouldnt bother.

If the exhaust needs to be custom made like for a turbo setup then it might be worthwhile to save on costs.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:00 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Hmm , being in school my budget is severely limited, what prices are we talking for an exhaust of the shelf?

EDIT: this engine will remain NA buy the way

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 98 Patrol

QLD, Australia

If you got the means and the know how and can save a few bucks go for it i say. As long as it will turn out as good as a bought 1.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:05 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Well that’s my reasoning but I don’t want to C**k it up and lose power and waste my time just wondering how difficult it would be, my teacher was talking about making up some headers but that sounds too massively complicated for the likes of me

Aparntly header specs have to be dead on i.e. im chasing torque so I should make the small in diameter and longer but apparently if there to long something goes wrong

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:29 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

there is no way to replicate mandrell bends, especially with an oxy, the closest you can get is to press sand into the tube with a brake press, seal it up & bend it gradually with heat. still then leaving ripples on the inner radius.
i've recently been around this whole town & the best bend i could get in 50.8mmx1.6wall s/s tube was absolutely shocking for an exaust.
if you know a good tig welder buy the mandrel bends either premade to suit what angles you need or a bunch of 180* bends if you can cut n shut yourself. still a big job when compared to off the shelf cat back systems.
if your usure of measuring & cutting angles take the exaust to an exaust shop & ask for matching bends in the diameter of choice then get it all welded together by your welder mate (repeat without welder mates you have no chance of gettin a decent job done for cheap, even then they want to be good mates!)
good luck :)

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:33 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Thanks but I think I mite have to sit down and think about this one, anyone have the idea of prices of the shelf?..Hmm the bloke said these bends where perfect ill have to see what hes on about
Cheers all

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

koperety wrote:
Thanks but I think I mite have to sit down and think about this one, anyone have the idea of prices of the shelf?..Hmm the bloke said these bends where perfect ill have to see what hes on about
Cheers all

Get him to do a bend for you. A cat backs about $250-300. Then extractors on top of that. Not sure wat they worth though.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:43 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

F#$k thats heaps ....or is that fitted? my mate picked up a dump pipe for his commonwhore for like 120$

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

koperety wrote:
F#$k thats heaps ....or is that fitted? my mate picked up a dump pipe for his commonwhore for like 120$

That would have been just a dump pipe not muffler and resonator...

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:53 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Forgive my ignorance but what’s a resonator?

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

koperety wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but what’s a resonator?

Its like a hot dog. it just makes the car quieter.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

$120 for an exaust tip is pretty stupid. i got a resonator fitted for under that. if you don't know the difference don't try makin an exaust.
if your still keen get him to make you a bend first up. most places or people should before you stick expensive material in their benders.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:44 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

It wasn’t just a tip it was a full system from the cat back, I knew what a resonator was I was just chasing clarification as I have read 7everal different descriptions. I was also chasing whether I should add a resonator to my design i.e. looking for suggestions on how to make the whole system and what to put in the system

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:49 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

i got mine made up custom, one thing to remember/ask get some flanges put in so you can remove it without an oxy (mine is one piece from the cat to the tip)

really all you need is two lengths of pipe, one good center muffler, bend the pipe from the cat to the muffler on mine just has a small s bend, then make the back pipe the same as the stock one, weld in some flanges, bolt together and your off.

if you want a good school project try making some tuned length headers :)

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next