Fordmods Logo

Making some small changes... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Making some small changes...
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Alright, as my insurance is pretty tight on performance i wanna do some little things for now.

At the moment, my last dyno run was 113.4 rwkw, with only cat-back exhaust and minor intake mods.

My Air/Fuel Mixtures were all over the shop. I wanna fix this up with a rising fuel regulator, and advance the timing. I wanna make some small changes to the intake. As well as putting in some decent plugs and leads. I'm also thinking of upgrading my Ignition Module to BPT's one. Do you reckon there'd be any benefit if any? And I'm also thinking of upgrading my Thermostat to BPT's one as well.

I also have a problem with my fuel. When I have about 1/4->1/2 a tank of fuel left, and I turn a corner fairly hard, the power will momentarily pause, and jolt you forward, then the power will kick in again, and you'll launch back into your seat. Some guys, say it's said to be a fuel pump and swirl pot problem with the AU's. So I'm thinking of throwing in a larger fuel pump, to fix this issue.

What do you reckon? And what other little things can i do, to squeeze some more power out of my AUIII 4.0L, AUTO. I have a shift kit waiting to go in. I'll eventually upgrade my diff gears to some better ones, with LSD.

Here's my last dyno sheet to show the A/F Mixtures.

I wanna push 115rwkw, hopefully 120rwkw, without opening the engine or even taking off my factory headers as of yet. And run a low, to mid 15 1/4, with these changes and a diff and stall convertor change. My last 1/4 was a 16.3, on 18s, and 1/2 a tank of fuel.

Thanks guys

Attachments:
dsheet.jpg
dsheet.jpg [ 161.74 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

The rising rate regulator isn't going to help you, you need leaner mixtures not richer.

The only way to do that (and timing) is to get a chip and tune. Try a unichip or CAPA. Should help alot.
Other than that your not going to get any significant gains other than fitting extractors and changing the cam. Although if you want to do this sometime it would be better to do it with the unichip so your engine can be appropriately tuned.

Dont know about your fuel starvtion issue. I would check that is what it really is. Fit a fuel pressure gauge and watch it when you drive around the corner.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ditto the same for what Spork said about the mods. There isnt much you can do, apart from a cam, that an insurance company wont immediately notice.

Fords ECU's are programmed to run rich, so nothing short of retuning the ECU (chip, etc) will solve that.

As for the fuel starvation, I remember reading a long time ago that this was a problem with the in tank fuel filters. Ford released a redesigned filter (how and what is different I dont know) but it solved everyones problems.

Might be somewhere to start. $20 part from Ford, and 30 mins of your time to check it out.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Alright thanks guys, :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]