Fordmods Logo

MANIFOLD INSULATORS DISCUSION 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: MANIFOLD INSULATORS DISCUSION
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xh ute

VIC, Australia

any one seen or used these manifold insulators there ment to reduce heat soak.... or are they just a money grab

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COLD-AIR-INT ... 5d2f83f839

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MANIFOLD-INS ... 3a681752ad

Post subject: Re: MANIFOLD INSULATORS DISCUSION
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

looks like s**t unlesss some one can PROVE otherwise

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

I would think the power curve being shifted like that would be from a slightly longer runner length, making it feel like there's some more bottom end in the pull. Bottom line is that the manifold will get hot with heat soak anyway.

If you were gunning for low end power (eg, with cam & extractor mods) i'd say it would be worth it

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

This is an old trick for you new players. It's been done, I think fiend had one made up and tested it to some degree.

some searching should turn up some old discussions. To answer you're question I think they are a bit of a money grab, but when every bit counts I guess they would add up. Just need to be cheaper.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

i was rooting through ford forums on thursday looking for info about electric water pumps and on a post they were talking about these http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11197224 basically the guy tht fitted them to his ba said there was some bottom end due to it spacing out the manifold not insulating as such. hope this might help abit

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford EL

NSW, Australia

I used one for my LPG injection setup. I drilled and tapped the nipples into it for each cylinder much like the petrol injectors.
It was for convenience rather than drilling into the cast intake runners. I was told it would work better injecting it as close to the head as possible.
It did actually help slow down the heat transfer from the head really well, but on long drives the air temp in the bay soaks in eventually.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

yeah i would think that over a period of time the radiant heat of the engine would heat it up and the increase length should improve bottom end, would be perfect for lpg injectors.

has anyone played around with either type of these its stupid that they show a dyno result of vs commodore when its ment for ford haha

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COLD-AIR-INT ... 5d2f83f839

Those guys are right floggers.

When fiend was mucking around with the idea, they some how found out, then registered on the site FM and threatened Fiend with legal action. At the time Mace didn't offer one for the falcon that fitted between the head and manifold (like the one fiend was doing), they only had one that fitted between the two halfs of the BBM.
About 3 weeks later they made their first listing on ebay for the newer design one.

We all basicly told him to piss off, and he hasn't posted since. But just for hmi being a tosser I wouldn't spend any money with him.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

hahaha far out

im tempted to get one but id rather spend me cash on somthin that has a reputation, and that i should have a gain from

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

has anyone had any difference with them in with just head work and noticed anything?

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

It's not voodoo. The concept is pretty well tested and accepted, having been commonly used on V8s since the 60s at least. Carter actually made a 4-barrel carburetor (Thermoquad) completely of phenolic resin - used on Mopar muscle cars in the 60s and 70s.

The insulator won't stop the radiant heat getting into the manifold, but it should drastically reduce the conductive heat transferring from the head. Ford 6 cylinder intake manifold gaskets are reasonably thick and the material isn't highly conductive anyway, so the benefit of a phenolic spacer would be limited. It's probably one of those hundred "little things" we do to squeeze out a bit more power that put together make a significant difference. I wouldn't be counting on a big increase - maybe a few kws, but nothing you could feel. And a little extra runner length will improve the bottom end ever so slightly. The theory's sound; but does the benefit exceed the cost for you?

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

if i was worried about heat in the engine bay affecting the intake i would have my bbm coated in cermic like you do with your headers.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have one, it SeeSawed the power.
Bottom-mid gained a little bit, but mid-top end power lost out. I wouldn't get one they are not worth it. I am taking mine off soon as the destroy the throttle cable rubber support and im looking for mid to top end power.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
I have one, it SeeSawed the power.
Bottom-mid gained a little bit, but mid-top end power lost out. I wouldn't get one they are not worth it. I am taking mine off soon as the destroy the throttle cable rubber support and im looking for mid to top end power.

Finally some one has actually tested it - already knew this anyway for NA 6cyl lol

Manifold Insulators increase the runner length - the runners on the BBM are too long even when the BBM is switched to the short runners

Long Runners - Less Top End - More Bottem End
Shorter Runners - More Top End - Less Bottem End

This is why from factory the BBM switches from long runners to short runners at 3500+ for max performance

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford EL

NSW, Australia

If anyone is interested I have a used one that goes between the upper and lower halves off the BBM.
I sealed it with epoxy resin before fitting so it's still in good condition. Just got a bit of residual silicone on it but still flat and smooth.

PM me if you want to make an offer.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]