Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Manual Car Auto ECU!
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ok, Im usually pretty good at this stuff, and I don't actually need help, But I would like to know if a Factory Manual EF/EL will take a Auto ECU without any mods,

The reason I ask this is cos when I did the Climate control conversion and I was cleaning around and replaced my recirc air box, I noticed there were a few factory resistors on the ECU loom, and when I finnished the CC conversion I forgot to investigate what these Resistors were for!

I haven't actually sighted an Auto cars ecu loom but wanted to know they had these 2/3 resistor plugs.

and Finally.. if these are a 'patch' from Ford.... would an Auto ECU work in a Manual car? (with consideration the park/neutral would be blanked)

Like I said, I have no problem, I just want to 'mess' with an xr auto ECU and not stuff my xr manual one!!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

IIRC the passenger airbag blanking resistor is on the loom that travels to the ECU, so don't associate it with the ECU.

Having said that though, my XH manual ECU always comes up with the code 786 Econ Ind Lt, and it is a factory original fit, so I did have suspicions that the factory may have possibly done 'patch' mods to run auto ECU's in manuals if there was a shortage on the assembly line.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:38 am 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

no, these resistors are on the lower ECU loom, around 30cm's away from the the ECU plug itself,

The upper part has a branch going to the resistor for the airbag within a small coaxial protector, as I removed this to install the passenger airbag,

This is where i thought it was interesting, as these were tightly wrapt in electrical tape only exposing the tops as the loom when along.
and yes, This is factory,

I might see if I can get a picture of it later on

ok, did that

its only a few cm's away from the ecu,
the Large plug on the left, has a 1.3K Ohm Resistor.
the small on the right is a dead short.

Attachments:
ECU loom 002.JPG
ECU loom 002.JPG [ 64.81 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

I did teh manual conversion and ran the auto ecu for 6 months or so

Nicko

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED Hwy rider

VIC, Australia

I did the manual conversion 9months ago and still run auto ecu no worrys at all

5spd conversion, extac 2 1/2 mandrell bend, 2.92lsd, kings lowered.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

It's mostly the other way around that there are problems eg. manual ecu into an auto car. :roll: :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
IIRC the passenger airbag blanking resistor is on the loom that travels to the ECU, so don't associate it with the ECU.

Having said that though, my XH manual ECU always comes up with the code 786 Econ Ind Lt, and it is a factory original fit, so I did have suspicions that the factory may have possibly done 'patch' mods to run auto ECU's in manuals if there was a shortage on the assembly line.

This is one of the codes that is displayed if you have a manual car with an auto ecu, what is your ecu id number. :roll: :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

GTBob wrote:
what is your ecu id number. :roll: :D
95DA-12A650-AA (all XH's are EEC V). The thing is though Bob is that I've been testing an EL Tickford LPG ECU in the XH - they are auto only, and it does exhibit the characteristic auto in manual signs - high idle (1200 RPM), thermos always on. The XH ECU works as per normal.

Krytox - I've got those resistors in my XH - XH's are 99% EL wiring. I'll delve a little further and see where they connect to. I didn't notice any of those resistors in my wagon, which is a factory auto.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

The factory original is a DA-4DAF
I have a Spare DA-4DAD (1 revison lower, wow big deal)
And I an running an XR6 DT-4TAD

I know a lot of people are running an auto ecu with a manual conversion with resistor mods and even without, but thats not what Im asking.

I want to know if this Factory manual car run like a Modded Auto ECU as there are some resistors left in there by the factory, HENCE are these 2 plugs the inhibitor switch and temperature wires?

I don't think i can explain this better :/

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:30 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

you can run an auto ECU on a manual car, but you need to trick the computer into thinking that its not too hot (hence thermos always on) and somehow disable the limp mode they have for when it doesnt recieve a signal from the auto box.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

theres a wiring diag on fm somewhere do a search, its an auto trick, not as good as orig manual tho cos your revs dont return smoothly whn in neutral, btu itll do the job :P

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
GTBob wrote:
what is your ecu id number. :roll: :D
95DA-12A650-AA (all XH's are EEC V). The thing is though Bob is that I've been testing an EL Tickford LPG ECU in the XH - they are auto only, and it does exhibit the characteristic auto in manual signs - high idle (1200 RPM), thermos always on. The XH ECU works as per normal.

Krytox - I've got those resistors in my XH - XH's are 99% EL wiring. I'll delve a little further and see where they connect to. I didn't notice any of those resistors in my wagon, which is a factory auto.
Sorry I didn't mean serial number I meant module id as in933-959 for el models 911-932 foe ef! and 911-950 for ef2 module identification :D

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Now you've lost me Bob :?:

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:02 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Krytox wrote:
no, these resistors are on the lower ECU loom, around 30cm's away from the the ECU plug itself,
The upper part has a branch going to the resistor for the airbag within a small coaxial protector, as I removed this to install the passenger airbag,
This is where i thought it was interesting, as these were tightly wrapt in electrical tape only exposing the tops as the loom when along.
and yes, This is factory,its only a few cm's away from the ecu,
the Large plug on the left, has a 1.3K Ohm Resistor.
the small on the right is a dead short.
The resistor is known as a starter resistor, the other is a diode in series with it. The starter resistor taps into the line beween the starter relay and the solenoid.
Check your starting system wiring diagrams to have a better look.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I was about to say, Ive seen those on every loom I remember looking closely at. Autos and manuals.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next