Fordmods Logo

Manuel Conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Manuel Conversion
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Falcon

WA, Australia

hey guys i just got a car being a 1993 ED Ford Falcon. Im currently undertaking upgrades consistently to it and i was wondering if anyone knows how much it will cost for a manuel conversion as its currently a boring automatic.
cheers

Post subject: Re: Manuel Conversion
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Price depends on condition....generally around $500 for a second hand one, a bit more if it's in really good nic or has been rebuilt. But then there's a few other things such as spigot bearing, new clutch (which you might as well do if it's the original). There's a good tech doc on it.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AUII XR6, EBII XR6

SA, Australia

I got mine done for $1250 drive in drive out, you can do it a lot cheaper if you have the parts and knowledge to do it yourself but I didn't so I just forked out the extra cash.

EBII S XR6: 5 Speed short shifter, 4499s, gutted cat, 2.5" Redback, K&N Pod.
AUII XR6: 5 speed, King Super Low Rears.

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Mine cost me roughly $1400, including the trailer hire, but for that i also got a low km engine as well. I bought a whole car, ED GLI factory manual from the auctions, and did the swap myself. All the gear was in great shape so didn't have to replace anything at the time. I'm also using the proper manual ECU & wiring loom, unlike most who use a Auto ECU & modify a wiring loom to run the manual box.

2 years on, I now need to change the clutch, stock clutch doesn't like hauling 2000kg behind your car! I'm fitting up a pbr heavy duty clutch kit, with new spigot bearing, new clutch cable & new throw out fork. Costing me about $600 in parts, but i'll be able to tow a lot more & hopefully not have to change the clutch for a few more years!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Sorry to hijack, but do you tow that much often with the t5? I was going to convert my current car, but considering I need to tow my boat on regular occasion I was advised to stay auto (even though its only around 1000-1200kg.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Not too often, but if you consider a hire tandem is around 500-700kg, then you put a full size car ontop your pulling around 2000kg, maybe a bit more. I think i've done about 15-20 trips that heavy, otherwise i've been towing my 6x4 with junk for tip runs, or firewood & so on a fair bit. Then the caravan, which probably weighs about 1250kg. I also tend to abuse the clutch a bit, i like to burn rubber & launch hard at times. My clutch is still ok for pulling the car around, or the 6x4 if it's not too heavy, but you can feel it slipping if you launch it hard or pull a rather heavy load atm.

Yes, it's decent advise to stay with an auto for towing these days, if you need to tow heavy loads, because if you have the heavy duty tow pack & enough trans coolers you can tow a lot more than with a manual falcon according to the book. But that i think is mainly due to the low clamping pressure of the pressure plate...

With a good heavy duty clutch i don't see why you can't tow the boat without burning your clutch out too quickly. People used to tow all the time with manuals before auto's become so common! But a heavy duty clutch may increase the peddle pressure required to be more than you might like. There are ways around that, i've got a heavy duty clutch in my g/f's Tx5 & with the hydraulic setup you will have a hard time telling the difference to the stock clutch. She can't!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

havok wrote:
I got mine done for $1250 drive in drive out, you can do it a lot cheaper if you have the parts and knowledge to do it yourself but I didn't so I just forked out the extra cash.

Did this include parts & labour?

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]