Fordmods Logo

MAP sensor? or something more serious? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: MAP sensor? or something more serious?
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey guys my car just died in the middle of the road as i was driving. Called RACV to come by and give me a hand since im already paying for it.

anyways while i was waiting i found a loose wire and thought that the little wire was the problem. RACV guy came, put it back together and it started as soon as i let go of the key the car just instantly stops.

Tried again while keeping the foot on the accelerator and it started. Revved at 3000RPM for a while to get rid of the flooding, but after we let the foot, the idle jumps below 500 and then comes back to normal.

Turned it off and tried to turn it back on but it just died as soon as u let go of the key.

RACV guy thought it might've been the MAP sensor and since im using a lot of petrol i thought that too. but im not too sure. what does the MAP sensor do? and is it expensive to get it replaced?

cheers everyone

phong

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

if the MAP is not working or you have a very bad vaccuum leak, then it wil be as rough as guts, not idle, and need two feet to drive in any shape or form. (i.e. one on the gas, the other in the brake)

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Last edited by Dellboy999 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

hmmmm whats causing my car to start so funny and when i drive for it to lose power temporarily and then kick in after a second of possible stall? Automatic by the way. might need a diagnostic check

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That to me sounds more like an ISC issue :)

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

sorry im still new to the sensor stuff. im more of the electronics interior guy. whats ISC? and what exactly does the MAP sensor do?

car was working fine before the recent lightning storm, was parked at my work warming up the car, suddenly lightning struck at a tree somewhere and shook the whole area and my car just decided to die on me.

cheers

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Do a few searches, one for map, the do a search for ISC, it will all become clearer.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

okies

thanks

phong

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

You need a copy of Gregories EFI and Engine Management, Volume 3 covers EBII, ED and EF. So I guess Volume 1 or 2 for EA and early EB.
Wicked book, gives you all the info you need on the sensors, testing them and the wiring schematics.
Only down side is the price of the book...

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
You need a copy of Gregories EFI and Engine Management, Volume 3 covers EBII, ED and EF. So I guess Volume 1 or 2 for EA and early EB.
Wicked book, gives you all the info you need on the sensors, testing them and the wiring schematics.

How much is it?

The only books worth using are the Genuine Ford workshop manuals!!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

hmmmm i borrowed that from the library becos i couldn't be bothered buying the book. but yeah it did come in handy. just i dun have the equipment.

going to take it to mechanic hopefully tomorrow to get a full diagnostic check.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ISC = Idle Speed Control???? thats what i found i think i was looking at the rite thing. now how do i check if the ISC Is faulty? throttle body?

any help would be great, i really need the car working by tonite. hopefully anyway or else i need a lift to work.

cheers

phong

EDIT: i read some posts about the same problem but i dunno where the ISC is to clean it.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Waggin wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

How much is it?

The only books worth using are the Genuine Ford workshop manuals!!

$116.99 retail. I got it for $50.00, bloody expensive. I foudn out the other day I can get the genuine Ford workshop manual through work now so I'll try and get the parents to get it for me for Christmas, should be able to get it cheaper than retail (which is $249.00).
I've got the Max Ellery and Haynes Service manuals at the moment, and they are s**t, but the Gregories EFI and Engine Management Volume 3 has actually been pretty handy! And so I've been happy with it! Chance had it that it asl covers my sisters model Excel and my Moms Fairmont, so that was a bonus too!

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

umm i found it, cleaned it but nothing
still doing the same thing, ah well ill wait till tomorrow to get it fixed. thanks for the help though

laters

phong

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Try a new MAP sensor hose, and grab a few MAP sensors from the wreckers and give them a try.

Could it possibly be something to do with the fuel pump? A long shot, but where to next if it's not the MAP sensor?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:15 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

if a MAP sensor isn't working, then it should still run, rich as all f**k, and probably not driveable, but not what you are desccribing. If a car is starting and dieing, it could be several things, but the first thing to check would be the usuals, fuel, air and spark. Check the fuel by turning the car onto reds, and listening for the fuel pump (in the boot), get a mate to help you. Also you can check fuel pressure the same way with a fuel pressure gauge. But as long as the pump is going, all should be sweet. The only thing I can see against the fuel pump is that it starts and dies, if the fuel pump was dead, it would eventually just not start at all. If you say it revs, and then it dies, I would be more leaning towards your ISC (Idle speed controller), it is the thing on top of your throttle body, held in with 2x10mm bolts, it has a black knobby thing. Take it off, clean it whatever. If it still does it, then bump up the idle speed, and unplug the ISC. You can do this by looking at the throttle bracket (the throttle cable from the accelerator pedal goes into it, and it turns), there's a lug there with a flat head, which "opens" up the throttle body butterfly. Turn the screw clockwise quite a bit, and see if the car starts. Then let us know how it runs. If no go, then check your spark. Take off one of the leads, and stick a screwdriver in there, and hold the screwdriver near the rocker cover or something with a ground, get someone to turn the car over, and check if there's a spark. If you have no spark, its numerous things from there. Also you mentioned that a lightning hit near by, lightning causes an EMP (electromagnetic pulse), which destroys or harms electronics. The only thing I can think of that it could get which could be affecting this is the ECU. Bear in mind to kill an ECU with an EMP, you would probably kill or damage the head unit aswell, and some other electronics (trip computer, climate control, etc).

So check the above, and let us know how you go.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next