Match port and polish?? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

So what your saying is the BBM is smaller than the ports on the head and the extractors are bigger thant he heads. Because of the direction of flow you wont run into any lips.
Even so the air will slow down after passing into a bigger area.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yes but matching them doesn't make the air speed change, its still going from a smaller runner to a larger port or smaller paorts to larger exhaust manifold

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

But if you port them so the change is gradual rather than all at once, will resort in better flow, but yes air speed will be reduced.

EL XR8

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

i say if the bbm has samaller ports than head to the bbm side and if you have extractors then you wond need to unless you wanna get the whole exhaust port machined to same size as extractor then it will make difference but only if you have mods to use this mod its only a big increase if you trying to push power out of a motor

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Timmeh wrote:
But if you port them so the change is gradual rather than all at once, will resort in better flow, but yes air speed will be reduced.

it's also common knowledge with top people in engine building that on the exhaust you get more gain from the correct mis-match of the port to extractor then having a perfect match.

port matching the exhaust also tkee away the ability to use anti-reversion stubs. any easy afective way of getting better torque out of very large cams.

there is alot more to it than alot of people think. and it's not as basic as it may seem.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

no s**t too much can be bad wrong angles sharp edges wrong shaped ports all go towards flow and i bet the guy you got quoted by dont do much more than match and polish cos he dont no how

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
it's also common knowledge with top people in engine building that on the exhaust you get more gain from the correct mis-match of the port to extractor then having a perfect match.

port matching the exhaust also tkee away the ability to use anti-reversion stubs. any easy afective way of getting better torque out of very large cams.

there is alot more to it than alot of people think. and it's not as basic as it may seem.

Your correct there. I'm used to 1250shp turbine engines where the flow is a s**t faster than N/A engines so I think I'm applying the wrong rules for car engines. But they be correct for turbines.

EL XR8

Post subject: Re: Match port and polish??
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Molloy wrote:
He lads i just went to my local engineers place to get some quotes on some head work, he was talking about a match port and polish? has anyone heard of this, im new to this stuff so not really sure, also he said he will put in tickford valve springs + do the match port and polish and reco the head so everything flows better, would i gain any power advantages from this?? and if so what power increase would i be looking at?, my car is a 1996 EF auto, has Gt snorkel K&N filter, extractors with 2 1/2 system through, the cam is still stock, any info on this would be great

Thanks.

After discussion Molloy it would probably be true in saying that your guy is referring to port matching as in getting the right size intake and exhaust port for best results but not actually making them the same size as BBM and extractors. That would make more sense.

EL XR8

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

i just want more power, im putting in a DEV3HL cam and i want to get as much power out of it as i can, so what port job am i after and how much do i want taken off? i want as much power as i can get without going 2 far,

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

You tell the guy what cam your putting in and what extractors etc and I'm sure he'll make the porting what you need.

EL XR8

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

You tell the guy what cam your putting in and what extractors etc and I'm sure he'll make the porting what you need.

EL XR8

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok thanks, yeah i cant wait till i get all this stuff done, now i got some cash i wanna make my falcon take out my mates vs commy ute its manual and got a chip not sure about zorst,

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

anyone got the specs of the DEV3HL cam?

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I dont think JMM will give out the specs. Dont they keep that to themselves so no one else will copy them?

EL XR8

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next