Fordmods Logo

melthing accel+clutch cable outter sleeves. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xf ute

NSW, Australia

ok the cable will melt in time extractor will give of more heat as they are not made of cast iron and you do have a heat sheld as well there is more surface area so more heat if you have a thermo fan you engine bay heats up a lot more as well (heat soaking the engine as well as clutch wiring and throttle cable) as there is no air moving around engine when car is stop till fans cut in
i have been told by stock car driver that they melt in race car and allso every day driver seen his engine bay more heat shield then you think as he has all so had this happen a coply of times go to pull up at a set of lights and the engine keeps revving
so place heat shield on throttle cable is the best option
use thremo tec as its the best that i have found im going to add ACL heat shield as well to the top of extrachor to keep heat were its needed the hotter the extrator are the more power (heat rap)

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Unless a good burn for you consists of putting the handbrake on, going uphill and running the engine at maximum load for 10 minutes, your extractors should not be giving off enough radiant heat to melt your accel cruise and clutch cables.
If your timing is retarded, or your AFRs are f**k, your exhaust gas will be hotter.
But hey, just heat wrap the cables, it's easier then trying to find the actual source of the problem.

Please can you reccomend a heat wrap for me?? People have been telling me diffeent varietys what do you think I should use??? had experience with it??

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

edfairmont4.0 wrote:
whats a wreak? you mean wreck?

and yeah ive always had extractors on my EB and ED.. nothing melted...
gotta be something wrong.

Thanks mate.....I am usually at work when I do these typo's!! Dont have all the time in the world to be 100% accurate ( u knew what I meant anyway's so whats the prob??)

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

DJBOOBY wrote:
ok the cable will melt in time extractor will give of more heat as they are not made of cast iron and you do have a heat sheld as well there is more surface area so more heat if you have a thermo fan you engine bay heats up a lot more as well (heat soaking the engine as well as clutch wiring and throttle cable) as there is no air moving around engine when car is stop till fans cut in
i have been told by stock car driver that they melt in race car and allso every day driver seen his engine bay more heat shield then you think as he has all so had this happen a coply of times go to pull up at a set of lights and the engine keeps revving
so place heat shield on throttle cable is the best option
use thremo tec as its the best that i have found im going to add ACL heat shield as well to the top of extrachor to keep heat were its needed the hotter the extrator are the more power (heat rap)
[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/DJB1966/IMG_0103.jpg[/im
g]

Thanks for your help there mate...much appreciated, too many smart a**'s on here! Thats a nice looking bay.. X- serie's????
how much is that stuff and where do I buy it from?
also is it really true that the hotter the extractors get the more power like you wrote in your reply??

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xf ute

NSW, Australia

wraping extrators in heat wrap will give you more horsepower
this is because the hotter the exhaust gas are the quicker they flow out of engine and are removed from the pots it can also cut down heat in engine bay i was thinking on doing it but after awhile it look shabby so im going to heat sheld them
the thremo tec can be got at repco its in the rocket industries caterlog book it comes in diff sizes i made the mistake of ordering the small size that fitted on cable so it was tight fit but did not take in count the nut on cable so heres what i did unpicked the stitching then folded it over the cable then super glue it back together then with a sowing machine with thick cotton sow it back up sowed it close to cable as i could get then wrap it up so stitching was coved then use spring to hole it all together to get spring on you remove the spring from cable as well as the black thing that holds spring then with inner cable thread it on moving it up as i went
the thermo tec cost about $35 i get it at trade so maybe a little more for you
any more info glad to pass it on
http://www.thermotec.com/product_detail.php?prd_id=12

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2