Misfire at part throttle... fine at WOT.... fixed page 2 

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

dialing the cam in to 1mm tolerance...

about as accurate as doin it by feel.. which i'm not hackin you out for as i did mine by feel :P
sorted out cold start, idle and performance issues.

also the hego won't be accurately reading for that first minute either. till it's warmed up.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

haha, yeah i meant to 1 thou of an inch.... was done with a dial indicator

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Have you tried swapping over the MAP sensor and ECU out of another EF falcon. That's if you know someone with that car.

Also I remember reading somewhere about capacitors in the EF ECU that leak and the main earth strap on the PCB failing. Which creates bad earth's, poor idle and misfires.

Cheers...

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

thanks for the advice, i havnt tried another map sensor yet but will when i can afford it.

And yeah ive heard the EF ecu's have there fair share of problems, im hoping it isnt this one cause i just spent 400 bucks on a custom tune :(

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
Have you tried swapping over the MAP sensor and ECU out of another EF falcon. That's if you know someone with that car.

Also I remember reading somewhere about capacitors in the EF ECU that leak and the main earth strap on the PCB failing. Which creates bad earth's, poor idle and misfires.

Cheers...

i think that was more a thing about a fluctuating idle or something? could be wrong. either way, could be worth a look. replaced my ISC and the car is so much smoother in the lower rpm at street speeds

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef futura

SA, Australia

i can't believe this, but my car is doing the exact same things... that exact same revs, worser when it is cold.... i have an ef also... what the hell could it be?!? it drivin me nuts!!

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i have no fuking idea man.....

leads replaced, plugs replaced, tried 2 different coil packs, 2 different TPS sensors, 2 different oxy sensors, 2 different ecu's, new coolant temp sensor, tested voltages at every fuking pin on the ecu, tested readings from all sensors, rewired a couple sensors that had small earth leak,

I am replacing the balancer and crank angle sensor next week. If that doesnt help things, then will replace the map sensor.

Intake manifold gaskets will be the next step, even though they were done a year ago

After that i dont know what to do cause its fine at full throttle so the fuelling side of things isnt really an issue, but at part throttle and low revs its missing, f@rt and burping

I will update this thread if i find the culprit

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
i have no fuking idea man.....

leads replaced, plugs replaced, tried 2 different coil packs, 2 different TPS sensors, 2 different oxy sensors, 2 different ecu's, new coolant temp sensor, tested voltages at every fuking pin on the ecu, tested readings from all sensors, rewired a couple sensors that had small earth leak,

I am replacing the balancer and crank angle sensor next week. If that doesnt help things, then will replace the map sensor.

Intake manifold gaskets will be the next step, even though they were done a year ago

After that i dont know what to do cause its fine at full throttle so the fuelling side of things isnt really an issue, but at part throttle and low revs its missing, f@rt and burping

I will update this thread if i find the culprit

When you tested the TPS did you test the closed throttle voltage and the WOT voltage. Also check the voltage throughout the range (use an analog multimeter for this) easier to see if there is a problem by looking at the needle sweep across the face. from memory on the old EA it was 1v closed and 4.5v wot.

Other than that I would replace your MAP sensor. Have you ever sprayed excessive amounts of carbi clean down the throttle body to clean it? That kills Map sensors!

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

EL__Fairmont wrote:
When you tested the TPS did you test the closed throttle voltage and the WOT voltage. Also check the voltage throughout the range

yeah, ive adjust the tps so it shows 0.98 volts at idle, and ive checked that it increases voltage smoothly throughout the revs.

Quote:
Other than that I would replace your MAP sensor. Have you ever sprayed excessive amounts of carbi clean down the throttle body to clean it? That kills Map sensors!

hmm, yeah thats the only thing i havnt replaced. Ive already got the balancer and new crank sensor on order cause the balancer is shagged anyway. And yes ive sprayed craploads of cleaner in the throttle body before :shock:

Will try a map sensor today, but if that or the crank sensor doesnt fix it, im leaning towards a vacuum leak cause heres a problem i posted ahwile ago and it might have something to do with it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIL_6uFbiPc[/youtube]

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:04 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey FordFairmont, I had the same problem with the hissing once the engine was turned off. Massive vacuum leak because I had my inlet manifold gasket the wrong way around and left a little gap.

Have you checked your rocker cover gasket to see if it is sealing properly? The vacuum leak will most likely make the fuel eco be s**t as well as bad idle and rob you off some power.

Could also be just a loose bolt on your exhaust or intake manifolds.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Thanks phongus, yeah i found the last 2 bolts near the firewall on the inlet manifold were loose so i tightened them up but didnt fix it, but im thinking it could be leaking still.

Also just went to the wreckers for a map sensor, and nearly all of them had cracks inside the casing, so i checked mine and it had a tiny crack. So i found the best one i could at the wreckers and have doused it in sensor-safe sealant and will see how it goes. For what ive seen these map sensors are prone to cracking....

If i do the inlet gasket, do you use any special gasket glue?

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:24 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Thanks phongus, yeah i found the last 2 bolts near the firewall on the inlet manifold were loose so i tightened them up but didnt fix it, but im thinking it could be leaking still.

Also just went to the wreckers for a map sensor, and nearly all of them had cracks inside the casing, so i checked mine and it had a tiny crack. So i found the best one i could at the wreckers and have doused it in sensor-safe sealant and will see how it goes. For what ive seen these map sensors are prone to cracking....

If i do the inlet gasket, do you use any special gasket glue?

No need for any glue on the inlet gasket. If the gasket comes in 2 halves, make sure they are in the right way and not blocking the injectors as I have done :oops:. Umm besides that it's pretty much unbolt, change over and bolt back on. Don't tighten them too much though, remember the bolts go through an alloy head. I think the torque setting is like 20Nm - 25Nm. I think someone can verify that.

All good mate, hopefully you'll get it sorted.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

thanks, one last q'

does the bbm have a gasket for the lower and upper parts, or is there only one gasket to the head?

Gonna replace the inlet gaskets, crank sensor, balancer, map sensor, air temp sensor all in one hit and if that doesnt fix it i'll be f**k off bigtime

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Yes there is a gasket between the halves of the inlet manifold :roll: :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

GTBob wrote:
Yes there is a gasket between the halves of the inlet manifold :roll: :D

haha ok then, just that i couldnt see any excess gasket hanging out

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next