missing spark 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: missing spark
Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

O.k you lot out there, I reckon I've got one for you all. :D

EL I6, Gasreseach system with dual fuel.

The problem I have is that when I put the car into gear (drive) I loose my spark to #1 cylinder, and only #1. Not all the time tho. It can go missing for a second or two, and then come back for a minute, disappear for a bit and so on. How do I know this? I have a powered timing light that I attach to the plug leads. It tells me if the plug/lead is sparking. However, once I get going, it is fine, lots of power, pulls like a 14 year old boy. Come back to idle at lights etc, back to rough idle etc. I can smooth out the idle by reving it a bit, or sitting and keeping the revs about 1000 or so.

Only started today. Things that may have affected this: the fuel pump is not working. How do I know this? It wont run on petrol, and it's a b**ch to start in the mornings when it is supposed to start on petrol (and can't). And I can't hear it. Haven't checked the wiring yet tho.

Secondly, because it's hard to start in the mornings, it has backfired twice. Not big ones, just a bit of a loud "pop".

Now, I have been helped a lot by people from this forum, I am really stumped on this one, so I will appreciate any help.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

check if ur distributor is working properly or if its worn out and such and therefore no spark temporarily. if u can hear the fuel pump going then there is nothing wrong with the fuel pump. only a fuel pump problem if the car starts for 5 seconds and then just shuts down and then u can't start the car anymore after that. u might need to check ur fuel filter. but if its spark related all i can think of is the dizzy that might give the intermitten loss of spark. if not the lead on cylinder #1 is gone.

hope that helped

good luck

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just seem to think that the dizzy is o.k. cos when I drive it's fine. It's only when the car is idling. I can give it a bootfull, and it goes just fine. Even cruising at any speed over idle is o'k.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i think the dizzy also slows down as the revs go down. so maybe something is loose. at high speeds of rotation it wouldn't stuff up much but during slow rotation it might miss a beat here and there. im not too sure. but if at idle its rough u might want to check ur TB. if the car hesitates when u accelerate might be fuel filter, air filter or blockage in injectors or something. if u say there is no spark then its gotta come from somethign electronic. maybe try changing the leads cause if u say that it works fine when u push her then the lead might be cracked inside and requires more energy to jump that gap. since there are more frequent sparks at higher revs there are less chances of missed sparking. just a thought

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

how old are your plug leads?

Banned

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon EF

QLD, Australia

I rekon check the dizzy and leads could even be a cracked dizzy cap.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Further developments:

Started this morning (the car), and it ran like a dog. Held the idle, in neutral, @1000 rpm, and it was good. Drove off, and when I came to lights, and had to stop, held idle @ 800 rpm, in drive, and it was good. Got to work (30 mins), and it idled fine @ normal idle speeds, both in neutral and drive. Faaaarrrkk

Repeated the exercise tonight with the same results. :?

Still accellerates well, spins right up to 4000 w/o a problem, and anything over 1000 rpm it is good.

:? :( :cry:

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Sounds like (not real familiar with dizzy setup) the bush that the dizzy shaft runs in is worn. This allows the centre of the dizzy to get too close to the pickup on the outside hence they touch and ground out. As it spins faster the dizzy centres itself and stops hitting the pickup. Just a thought..........

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmmmmm, sounds feasible, I have a spare that needs re-co-ing. I might give it a go. I guess after 220000 odd kms, it might need a looking at. :)

Would still like some other opinions tho', every bit helps.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:47 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon Futura EL

NSW, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
Hmmmmm, sounds feasible, I have a spare that needs re-co-ing. I might give it a go. I guess after 220000 odd kms, it might need a looking at. :)

Did you manage to solve the idle problem? I have quite similar symptoms and am planning to check a number of things soon (plugs,leads,dizzy,inlet manifold gasket).

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

rallyboy77 wrote:
creeture3 wrote:

Did you manage to solve the idle problem? I have quite similar symptoms and am planning to check a number of things soon (plugs,leads,dizzy,inlet manifold gasket).

Dont dig out old threads. Search them and read but make another one. Some people from these threads may not be posting anymore.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon Futura EL

NSW, Australia

stomper wrote:
rallyboy77 wrote:
creeture3 wrote:

Dont dig out old threads. Search them and read but make another one. Some people from these threads may not be posting anymore.

Maybe I should have pm'd him but do you really think I should start another misfire at idle thread?

Wish there was a better way to view/sort problems for which a definitive solution was found (i.e. problem symptoms, things checked and resulting solution)...

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

A few more things that it my be:
Broken valve spring(s)
Burnt out valve(s)
Perhaps do a compression test on the engine but do it cold as a hot engine can hide a burnt out valve from heat expantion..
it could also be a faulty injector or loom...

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Post subject: Re: missing spark
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
O.k you lot out there, I reckon I've got one for you all. :D

EL I6, Gasreseach system with dual fuel.

The problem I have is that when I put the car into gear (drive) I loose my spark to #1 cylinder, and only #1. Not all the time tho. It can go missing for a second or two, and then come back for a minute, disappear for a bit and so on. How do I know this? I have a powered timing light that I attach to the plug leads. It tells me if the plug/lead is sparking. However, once I get going, it is fine, lots of power, pulls like a 14 year old boy. Come back to idle at lights etc, back to rough idle etc. I can smooth out the idle by reving it a bit, or sitting and keeping the revs about 1000 or so.

Only started today. Things that may have affected this: the fuel pump is not working. How do I know this? It wont run on petrol, and it's a b**ch to start in the mornings when it is supposed to start on petrol (and can't). And I can't hear it. Haven't checked the wiring yet tho.

Secondly, because it's hard to start in the mornings, it has backfired twice. Not big ones, just a bit of a loud "pop".

Now, I have been helped a lot by people from this forum, I am really stumped on this one, so I will appreciate any help.
I MAY BE 100% WRONG, I DO ENGINES NOT FORDS YET, ANY CHANCE OF STICKY VALVE, AS YOU SAID WHEN RUNNING FASTER/WARM MAYBE ITS OK, AND BEING THE COLDEST CYLINDER BECAUSE ITS NEAR WATER PUMP ITS A THOUGHT, OR ROCKER STUCK, ROLLER STUFFED OR CRANK ANGLE SENSOR IN THE DIZZY UNIT LIKE THE EVIL VL COMMODORE.
REGARDS,
HANNIBAL :?:

Just got an old EB, but engine odd, specs match stage 2 of crow cams specs?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]