Fordmods Logo

Mod plate BA 4.0L Engine Into XH 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Mod plate BA 4.0L Engine Into XH
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII ute

QLD, Australia

Ive recently purchased an unfinished project XH II longreach ute with a BA engine. Bench seat, column shift auto. Im half way thru the wiring, the engine is in with a cut k-frame. I have pretty much everything here to finish the job.
I've had a read thru the code of practice from the QLD transport website but its not clear exactly what category it fits in.
I haven't spoken to anyone at QLD transport yet about this, I was hoping to find someone else who has done the conversion and got it legal in QLD.
I guess it would depend on the way the conversion was done on whether or not it would be ok.
I am going to replace the k-frame for a new one & modify the sump for clearance instead. I have seen pictures of this done so I know it is possible. It says in the code of practice that modifications to the chassis or subframes are not permitted.
I am going to use the factory BA ecu with everything wired up identical to the XH ecu so the charcoal canister works the same. Original fuel tank & lines & airbox. XH auto. XH engine mounts.

It should fit under the category "Option 1 - Equivalent Engines"
The BA engine puts out 10% more power than the original optional engine (V8 165kw). so this should be ok.
Since the V8 used the same brakes, diff etc I shouldnt need to upgrade anything else.
I think it could be argued whether or not the XH BTR93LE is weaker or stronger than the BA transmission.

It sounds like I will also need to cut a section of the bonnet rib and also space the k-frame from the body 6-10mm with spacers.

If anyone could recommend a decent engineer or mod plate issuer or roadworthy mechanic familiar with this kind of conversion in Brisbane it would be greatly appreciated.
I am willing to spend the time & money to do this right & keep it legal. The XH I have is currently unregistered so I don't have much choice.

(i am also a mechanic and an approved examiner in qld but no longer working on the tools)

Post subject: Re: Mod plate BA 4.0L Engine Into XH
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:22 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you reported your post because it was in off topic? you posted it there.. :roll: .

moved to 6 cyl forum.....

Post subject: Re: Mod plate BA 4.0L Engine Into XH
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII ute

QLD, Australia

pretty sure I did post it in this forum. i never look in the off-topic section.
must have been a glitch in the matrix.
thanks anyway sorry to bother you troyman

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]