Fordmods Logo

--> Modification Queries <-- 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: --> Modification Queries <--
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Futura

WA, Australia

Hey guys. I've got a Quick few Questions I wanna ask. Some stuff I've done to my car are below.

EF Futura

PH4480's and 2.5 Hi-flow cat + 2.5 Cat back with High Flow Muffler
Di Filo 3" Stainless Steal Intake pipe w/ 3.5" K&N Pod Setup

Now Q's.
1.)Since doing these things to my car I havn't reset the ECU. Would it be worthwhile to do it or does the EF ECU Relearn by itself?

2.)My car is approaching 200,000kms, would it still be worthwhile to put in a preformance cam? Or are there other things I can do to it before the cam?

3.)I was wondering if I should do more work to my Pod setup. ATM its got the 3" intake and a 3.5" pod just in the engine bay. Should I run some more piping to it to increase cold air intake? Will it make much differance? Is there anything else I could do to the intake side?

Cheers boys.

Looking forward to you replies.

EF Futura :: K&N 3.5" Intake :: Pacemaker Comp Extractors + Hi-Flow Cat :: 2.5 Lukey Cat Back ::

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

1) yes

2) yes

3) no pods are gay, just get the bigger air intake snorkle or run some piping from the front bar to the airbox.

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Box the pod, or make a large enclosure around it which seals itself against the bonnet when shut. Then run some cold air piping to the enclosure.

Yes a cam is worthwhile and regrinds are very cheap so its worth it, but real gains can be made by fixing up the driveline gearing.

For example, i'd say a EF with stock motor converted to manual and running 3.7 diff gears would thrash an EF with big cam, ported head, exhaust etc. and running auto and 3.08 diff.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Futura

WA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Box the pod, or make a large enclosure around it which seals itself against the bonnet when shut. Then run some cold air piping to the enclosure.

Yes a cam is worthwhile and regrinds are very cheap so its worth it, but real gains can be made by fixing up the driveline gearing.

For example, i'd say a EF with stock motor converted to manual and running 3.7 diff gears would thrash an EF with big cam, ported head, exhaust etc. and running auto and 3.08 diff.

Explain this in more depth please.. What are you saying? Get a new Dif?[/b]

EF Futura :: K&N 3.5" Intake :: Pacemaker Comp Extractors + Hi-Flow Cat :: 2.5 Lukey Cat Back ::

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Good power can be made fairly cheaply with a regrind performance cam BUT you will see more gains by fitting shorter ratio diff gears.

You have 3.08 gears now, so by upgrading to 3.7 or 3.9 or 4.11 you will have faster accelaration but the drawback is the motor will rev higher on the highway or at any given speed than before really......

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

what would u reccomend for a diff in my manual ef becaues i do lots of high way driving also

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

If your talking about your XR6, then just leave the 3.45 lsd in it.... thats if your worried about highway revs.

Im doing around 2450rpm @ 100kph with 3.7 gears but thats with the EA box which had a slightly shorter 5th gear.

Yours with the later model T5 & 3.7's would do maybe 2400rpm @100kph

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

thats pretty good its not too different from what mine is now. i want a new lsd cause mine isn't the best so i was wanting to change to 3.7 gears

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

what prices am i looking at for a decent one. ill put it in my self

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

you will more than likely have to buy the diff gears and get someone to put them in (unless you know how to rebuild a diff), as finding a complete LSD with 3.7 gearing (especially that isn't shagged) will be very hard

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

brand new 3.73s cost around $600 to $800

fitting gears requires patience :P

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
If your talking about your XR6, then just leave the 3.45 lsd in it.... thats if your worried about highway revs.

Im doing around 2450rpm @ 100kph with 3.7 gears but thats with the EA box which had a slightly shorter 5th gear.

Yours with the later model T5 & 3.7's would do maybe 2400rpm @100kph

Wrong, the EA T5s had a shortert 1st gear.... And dont forget to mention that if you just go and slap 4.11s into it, with it being a manual, its going to turn into a b**ch around town, because 1st is that short it mose while not be there, and Your Econemy will also go up a bit as you will be doing more revs in top gear than what your doing now, it may only be a few hunderd revs but trust me, it doesnt take much to change the econemy in a big way

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You would be surprised about the amount of people who put 4.11s in and then decided to change back to a lower ratio a few short months later

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

who's wrong?

ea box has 0.78 5th gear...... EBII onwards has 0.72 5th gear

this means different rpms on the highway

and who said anything about putting 4.11's in?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The different RPMs on the highway were to do with the diff ratio being different, i think if you look up the service manual for both cars, you will find every gear is different, i think EAs were 1.45 or something and the rest 1.55 or .150

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next