Fordmods Logo

Modified Intake, now where does my engine breather hose goto 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Modified Intake, now where does my engine breather hose goto
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford AU series 2 Wagon

VIC, Australia

Modified Intake, now where does my engine breather hose goto???

i have a modified air intake and i was wondering where can i re-route my engine breather hose to.
Can i replace the hose and use something else, or does the hose have to connect back up to the intake pipe to the throttlebody.

Need a few different suggestions,
thanx guys

I'll post pics of the intake pipe shortly.

wagoff

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Just put a mini breather filter on it. Or make a fitting in your new intake pipe.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: R34 GTR

VIC, Australia

nah mate just buy or make a "catch can" for the breather hoses to breathe into. Your engine will go better.

LUMPY-6

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Just put a mini breather filter on it.

that doesn't pass emmision laws.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

it will if the mini breather is in teh box ;)

& not all catch cans have breathers. some just have inlets & oulets some have breathers. some are cams legal and i think later arent.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

How is that? The stock breather is plumbed into the intake to get filtered air rather than atmostphere, the other end of the motor is sucking from the inlet side of the TB via the PCV valve. Whether the crank case is getting air via the filter or another filter should not effect emmisions?

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Guys the hose from the PCV would go to a catch can as that one spits out oily crap.
The breather is a breather - it sucks in (well mainly anyway), so a mini breather is fine for this - as twason has pointed out above...

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford AU series 2 Wagon

VIC, Australia

for the moment i have a breather on the rear outlet on the rocker cover, until i get a oil seperater kit(catch can), then i'll put the plumbing back to the intack pipe, i checked with epa it is illeagle to have a breather on it to the atmosphere. thanks for the information guys.

wagoff

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

twason wrote:
smiley235 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

How is that? The stock breather is plumbed into the intake to get filtered air rather than atmostphere, the other end of the motor is sucking from the inlet side of the TB via the PCV valve. Whether the crank case is getting air via the filter or another filter should not effect emmisions?

not entirly true.

the PCV and hose from the back of the engine are both used to draw crank case gases back into the intake system.
they work at different times. when the engine is at WOT the pcv is closed and the intake system draws on the hose from the back of teh rocker cover. to keep it legal you must have this hose plumbed into the intake system befor the TB.

if the engine in the first post is an AU you could simply change back to an EL/EF TB and hose.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
twason wrote:
smiley235 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

not entirly true.

the PCV and hose from the back of the engine are both used to draw crank case gases back into the intake system.
they work at different times. when the engine is at WOT the pcv is closed and the intake system draws on the hose from the back of teh rocker cover. to keep it legal you must have this hose plumbed into the intake system befor the TB.

if the engine in the first post is an AU you could simply change back to an EL/EF TB and hose.

Quote:
From Autospeed..
The ‘70s Shake-up – ADR 27A
In mid 1976, the federal government introduced ADR (Australian Design Rule) 27A in an attempt to reduce car emissions.

ADR 27A requires that each car built from July 1st, 1976 be fitted with a positive crankcase ventilation system, an evaporative emission control system and an exhaust gas recirculation system. As far as we’re aware, there were no specific emissions levels that had to be achieved – all a manufacturer had to do was install the specified equipment.

So how does ADR 27A related equipment reduce emissions, you ask?

Well, the PCV system reduces the amount of unburned crankcase hydrocarbons that are released to atmosphere by redirecting these hydrocarbons into the combustion chambers. The contemporary Ford XC Falcon (like many other vehicles) employs a system that draws fresh air from the air cleaner assembly into the crankcase via a passage in the oil filler cap. This fresh air mixes with crankcase vapours and is drawn into the combustion chambers through a PCV valve that connects to the carburettor throttle body. For efficient operation, the PCV valve must function properly and the crankcase must be sealed (no leaks at the dipstick or oil filler).

The next part of the ADR 27A a*** is an evaporative
Perhaps I am mistaken in my understanding of it operation but it appears I am not the only one. Where the difference may be is on a V8 where the air through the crank is accounted for in the MAF, where the I6 is not.
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2677/article.html

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

that may well be the case. but it's only half the story, you also need to concider the fact that under WOT conditions the PCV valve is closed IE: no vacuum at the valve so the spring closes it. the blowby gases produced still need to go some where, an if they are alowed to to exit to atmosphere the engine wont pass emmisions tests. so the that same pipe that alows air to enter the engine is also, under some conditions used to vent the crankcase back into the intake system.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]