Fordmods Logo

More Problems with the Coon{Fule pump primer staying on} 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: More Problems with the Coon{Fule pump primer staying on}
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED, EB11, 351 XF

New Zealand

Just started the other day in wet wheather.
Turn the key to start the car( EBII with AU VCT Motor and J3 chip) Insted of the Fuel pump priming for a few seconds it stays on. this cause the car to over fuel and not run.
Any Ideas what could be cauding this to happen?
I thought it could be a relay or somthing stuck on but I'm not to sure where to start looking
Any help much appriciated.
cheers

Post subject: Re: More Problems with the Coon{Fule pump primer staying on}
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Sounds like the ecu has a fault, fuel pump relay has fused contacts or wiring fault. You need to check the Brn/Grn wire and see if it is shorted to ground on the fuel pump relay. When you turn your key to the run position, the fuel pump relay receives 12V on one side of it's coil and is grounded by the ecu on the other side (transistor provides a ground. controlled by processor/software). The software should stop the prime after 3 seconds and await for inputs from the engine indicating it is running (rpm etc). You have the 12v on the relay (one side of the coil)but the ground either isn't being switched off (ecu transistor short circuit) or the relay itself has its contacts burnt or fused together (less likely unless your pump is on its way out). If you look under the coolant header tank, you will see 2 or more relays. The 2 larger ones are the power relay and fuel pump relay. If you check the Brown wire with green stripe with a multimeter (Thinner wire entering one of those 2 relays), it should be close to 0V (1V or less) during the first 3 seconds you switch the reds on, and then jump to 12v after that time. This would indicate the ecu is working normally and you have a relay/wiring problem. If that wire stays at 1V or below for more than 3 seconds, you have an ecu problem.

Have you just fitted the AU engine? If so just make sure all your wiring is spot on. Also make sure your battery is ok and has a good charge state.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:09 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

doesnt the ECU limp home mode cause the fuel pump to run constant at key on engine off?
is the J3 chip connected properly?
have a quick search through the J3 thread, i seem to recall a faulty connection will cause limp mode.

also fuel pump running constantly won't make your car harder to start unless you have a leaking injector.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

Id also suggest it may be a transmission/wiring problem.
This is exactly what was happening with my J3 chip, turns out I needed a manual tune instead of auto, but it was the transmission causing the fuel pump to run constantly.

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Ok i will check those things tommorow. It is an EL ECU runing a manual custom tune J3 chip. It was runnig fine up untili went to start it the other day and the pump just stayed on. this caused to over fuel and not rev past 3000 revs. then it died. now i havent been able to start it since.

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:03 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Some one couldm't tell me where the Fuel pump relay is?
Cheers

Post subject: Re: More Problems with the Coon{Park lamps staying on.}
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Ok fixed the problem today. The j3 cjip had gotten moisture around it. causing it to arch out. Now thier is another issue.
The park lamps are staying on. The relay is fine. to get them to turn off i have to remove the Auto TX fuse. but they turn on and off while the Auto TX fuse is out???? any idears?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]