Fordmods Logo

Muffler/Exhaust System 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Muffler/Exhaust System
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB Ford Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

I have an EB Fairmont Ghia, 4L straight 6. I want to get a new exhaust system to try and make it sound as close as possible to a V8. I know I won't get very close but something deep with a rumble would be good. I've been told that getting a straight pipe would do the job but from the videos on youtube, it makes it sound airey and like its running on diesel (tone isn't deep enough). This is what i don't really want... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEhvw8Vi ... ideo_title

I know this is a V6 not a straight 6 but I would like something that sounds similar to this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAWDE1HH ... re=related

Any ideas of what i should get?

Looking for cheaper options, max $300.

Post subject: Re: Muffler/Exhaust System
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Still going to sound like a six.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Don't do it. It WILL sound like crap.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 98 EL Fairmont GHIA

New Zealand

Ive got a set of extractors and a rage 2.5" kit on mine and its sounds alright, better than a strait pipe, dont waste your time doing that. Rage kit has 2 mufflers, one about by the back doors, and the other one is the angle one up behind back bumper. not trying to float my own boat here but its probably one of the best sounding six's and have had a few compliments about it. with a slight power gain. Just what ever you do, dont go strait pipe lol

98 Fairmont Ghia, T5, 6 Puk Clutch, Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust System, J3 Chip, Dobi Superlows, 17's, B&M Line-Loc.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

You are going about this all wrong.

You need to learn to embrace the sound of the mighty OHC six. They go better than those slow weezer V8s anyway.

Be proud of your 4L, but don't put on a straight through exhaust.

It will sound like a dodgy tractor.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:34 pm 
Smokin em up

New Zealand

BenJ wrote:
You are going about this all wrong.

You need to learn to embrace the sound of the mighty OHC six. They go better than those slow weezer V8s anyway.

Be proud of your 4L, but don't put on a straight through exhaust.

It will sound like a dodgy tractor.

Cheers
BenJ

Agreed, And now wait for all the "6 haters" to call into this thread and unleash all there anger lol

98 Fairmont Ghia, T5, 6 Puk Clutch, Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust System, J3 Chip, Dobi Superlows, 17's, B&M Line-Loc.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:37 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

mb2040 wrote:

I know this is a V6 not a straight 6 but I would like something that sounds similar to this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAWDE1HH ... re=related

Any ideas of what i should get?

Looking for cheaper options, max $300.

if you want it to sound like that commodore?
easy, buy a commodore...lol.

honestly, if you want it to sound like a v8, buy a v8...

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

if you want it to have a straight pipe and be fully sick just go buy a tractor, much more fun than a falcon impersonating a tractor

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

_LowKey_ wrote:
Ive got a set of extractors and a rage 2.5" kit on mine and its sounds alright, better than a strait pipe, dont waste your time doing that. Rage kit has 2 mufflers, one about by the back doors, and the other one is the angle one up behind back bumper. not trying to float my own boat here but its probably one of the best sounding six's and have had a few compliments about it. with a slight power gain. Just what ever you do, dont go strait pipe lol

My NC has similar, with a middle muffler and a resonator

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:21 pm 
Smokin em up

New Zealand

67RCE wrote:
_LowKey_ wrote:

My NC has similar, with a middle muffler and a resonator

Yeah got to have the mufflers, even leaving the middle one in and taking the back one out it sounds like a tinny skyline.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

It could be worth calling a muffler shop or two to find out what they've got booked for fitting and when - so you can drop by and get to hear a few systems - ideally I think you should try to listen to an E series with the Redback two-muffler setup - rev heads seem to feel they're too quiet - which means they might be pretty much like that VT I think...

I wish exhaust shops would take sound recordings of systems they've fitted...

Oh, I should add that I got my ED I6 sounding VERY similar to late model factory V8 Ford or Holden by having Pacemaker 4480's, 2.5 hi flow cat, large barrel resonator, Aerochamber 2.5 main muffler, and redback tailpipe with muffler (ie. oval body muffler with straight thru angled perforated pipe). It was similar to that video for volume but deeper and with more burble/gurgle (tho that might have been due to my cam).

The note was very quiet and deep at idle - sort of like a late factory XR6 or 8 - you almost felt it thru your guts more than heard it as such - had beautiful sound when cruising - WITHOUT ANY DRONE - and with gorgeous decelleration gurgle - and when it was fanged it had a really nice, tough exotic sports car type note - quite loud (especially at high revs) but without being "noisy" if that makes sense?.

Considering it was essentially an unobstructed 2.5 inch bore right thru from the cat, it's absolutely amazing how quiet it was - maybe a tad louder than factory choker system except when it was fanged. That setup was very expensive tho - I supplied the Aerochamber (which had cost me $170) and I already had the Pacemakers on the car - so cat, pipework + forward resonator, tailpipe/muffler and fitting all cost just over $900 (the cat alone was $350) - they seemed to make a real welter out of fiting the Aerochamber and tried to make me feel like an idiot for wanting it done.

They told me it would all be unbearably loud - "mate, these are the sort of mufflers they use in speedway - not street cars! " - and were really AMAZED how quiet it ended up! The Aerochamber IS a monster of a thing tho and looked bloody awful under the car - but I never actually had clearance issues with it.

I used to LOVE starting it up in carparks and servos and driving it in carparks and servo driveways because it sounded simply gorgeous - and braking with the gears was goose bumps material - especially on quiet nights. I was always afraid of causing accidents when accelerating hard out of intersections or roundabouts because EVERYONE would look. I reckon I could have charged money to take people for cruises on quiet nights.

This is very similar to what my ED sounded like - but the ED was a fair bit quieter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlAh5v6n ... re=related

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Last edited by Greenmachine on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

mb2040 wrote:
I have an EB Fairmont Ghia, 4L straight 6. I want to get a new exhaust system to try and make it sound as close as possible to a V8. I know I won't get very close but something deep with a rumble would be good. I've been told that getting a straight pipe would do the job but from the videos on youtube, it makes it sound airey and like its running on diesel (tone isn't deep enough)

theres a problem

the worst sounding V8, will still sound better than the best sounding I6

ive only got a 3" single exhaust fitted to my AU V8, and while its not too loud, its funny how most pedestrians always turn around to see what car is making that sweet note, then they see the stocko grandpa spec fairmont instead of your typical SS or Clubsport :)

you wont beat the sound of an 8, just go out and buy one, problem solved

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

- and when I had the rear muffler removed (straight thru tailpipe) it sounded pretty much EXACTLY like that video.

- in the end I had the biggest hotdog fitted that could fit under the rear bumper so it ended up somewhere inbetween - but I regretted removing the redback rear muffler because overall it was nicer to be able to lay into the accelerator with nice note but not noise...

Upcoming on the EF I'm looking at 3 inch cat and forward pipe with 3 inch dog - into 3 inch offset in / offset out Aerochamber with 2.5 Redback tailpipe + muffler (the reduction in size is to offset gas cooling).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]