Mufflers 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Mufflers
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Anyone know of any mufflers (not resonators) small enough to fit before the tips in the tail pipe?

Currently have a 12" glasspack/hooker aerochamber and not keen on having to buy another aerochamber to replace the glasspack as they are kinda bulky/heavy. Looking for a bit less volume.

Nick

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Post subject: Re: Mufflers
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Wow, did I really put this in this section?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

moved........

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hi there,

I had a 2.5" single system on my ED that was based around an Aerochamber muffler - so here are my experiences with that setup:

It was hanging off the back of 4480 extractors and 2.5 metal core hi flow cat.

Initially I had an off the shelf tailpipe + rear muffler fitted which actually made the system too quiet (tho the note was lovely - especially at high power and on decel). Unfortunately I don't know what that tailpipe/muffler was, but the muffler was offset in, centre out oval body straight thru - ie. the pipe "S"d thru it with perforations. It was same design as Berklee BSO913 - probably was one of them.

To make it louder I had that rear muffler removed altogether - ie. so it was just clean 2.5 inch pipe all the way thru with just the Aerochamber muffler. The note and volume were good at idle and low power but DAMN did it get loud under power!! - also had a very ricey "BUURRRR" to it in the upper rev range.

Next I had a barrel type straight thru muffler fitted between the Aerochamber and cat - ie. something like a Berklee BSO435. That brought the nasty BURRRR under control and reduced the volume a bit - but after a few days I wanted it quieter still. I was amazed how much noise that original rear muffler had been pulling out of it!

Finally I had a hotdog fitted to the rear - which made it all pretty much perfect - so in the end from cat back I had: barrel muffler + Aerochamber + hotdog.

In hindsight I think initially fitting a non-S'd type of rear muffler - like a BSO911 - with the Aerochamber might have done the trick.

For what it's worth, in my EF I'm currently running 3" cat back pipework with BSO232 in the tailpipe and BSO660 main muffler. It wasn't what you'd call loud - I was shocked it wasn't louder - but after a few days I did decide it was a tad too loud for my taste - and not surprisingly it also had a bit of external drone (tho NO RESONANCE in the cabin) - so I put a 10cm length of 2 1/4 (57mm) pipe into a 57mm hole flangeplate - along with 8mm holes drilled just outside the pipe circumference in the plate - and sandwiched that plate between the 76mm plates coupling the main/forward section to the tailpipe - ie. so the 10cm of pipe is sticking into the rear of the main muffler. That has made it VERY DEEEP and almost completely killed the drone - but I'm not happy about introducing a restriction to the nice clean 3" system (tho performance hasn't suffered at all whatsoever and it sounds F$#@en TOUGH) - so in a few more weeks I'm replacing the BSO660 with an Aerochamber - which should make it spot on (WTF I didn't just fit an Aerochamber in the first place I don't know!!! )

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks. The note with the glasspack/aerochamber is great just too loud, particuarly seeing as I tow a bit with my car.

I might measure up and see how the BSO911 will go in the tailpipe. Haha, the other reason I want something in the tailpipe is I made back to the diff and some dodgey wanker put press bends in the tailpipe... :shock:

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

That suggestion of going for a BSO911 is based on the fact that BSO913 was really very quiet (for a "sports" type system) - but I guess we need to be careful that my idea of "quiet" might not be what others might think of that way? - keep in mind I work at the airport around aeroplanes... (wink).

The dudes at the muffler place were really shocked at how quiet it was - when I handed over the Aerochamber to be fitted they almost refused and were saying it was the sort of thing you'd fit to a stock or sprint car - not a street legal daily driver - "it's not really a muffler mate! - more like just a big resonator". When I picked it up they were sort of dazed and shaking their heads about it. Aerochamber seems to really clean up the "muddyness" in the note - making it more defined and crisp and killing drone/moan - but I don't know how much volume it takes out on it's own - it's far kin LOUD just on it's own for sure!

BSO911 and 913 are the same shape, size and basic design - ie. perforated thru pipe in short oval body - but the 913 is Offset in / Centre out (or vice versa of course according to how you fit it up) - with "S"'d perforated pipe section - whereas the 911 is straight thru offset.

If you want something that's about the same volume or maybe slightly louder than a factory muscle car like GTP etc. then go with the 913 - I'm assuming that just straightening out the "S" by going for a 911 should make about the right volume increase for a reasonable "sports" system - ie. I'm thinking a 911 would be similar to having a hotdog + barrel muffler - maybe a tad quieter. What I'm seeing with my current 3" system seems to suggest that the 911 configuration (I've got the 3 inch version of BSO911) still pulls a fair amount of racket out of the final note.

On the Best Mufflers site they have the WRONG illustration for BSO911 - they use the same cross section picture as the 913 (with "S"d pipe, offset / centre) but the 911 is straight thru offset (offset / offset / same side).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Again thanks.

Ashamedly the other half of the reason is my other half has an E series merc that kills my car and I feel embarrassed every time I have to drive into her estate lol. As of this instant though she might not be my other half for much longer so might be 911 after all.

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]