Fordmods Logo

My car is fried, list of problems slowly growing, help? 

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: My car is fried, list of problems slowly growing, help?
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Tim has had a good idea there; you might be able to do a version yourself..I did this once to diagnose a leaking head gasket on an old ford 6...sounds shonky as but it works...OK, what you do is this - remove your top radiator hose, get a pushbike inner tube with the valve bit still in it and cut it so you end up with a hose a bit longer than your rad hose so the valve is still in that section - put it in place of the rad hose and tighten with hose clamps as you would normally for a rad hose. If you then pressurise this with a bike pump (!) or a compressor - but keep below 25 - 30 psi or so - remember your cooling system isn't designed for big pressures!
Then, shut off the compressor, move it somewhere else so you can't hear any air from it or whatever and put your ear over the open neck of the carby or throttle body - you are listening for air that has made its way into the cylinder and is escaping via open inlet valves - if exhaust is off you can do the same at exhaust manifold but carby is easier. Also worth looking around the mating surface of the head itself on the block - this is actually where I detected my leak - it can help to have a squirt bottle of soapy water to spray around this joint to give the air something to bubble thru and therefore be more visible...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
paul09 wrote:
Changed oil+filter a couple days ago with proper flush and added nulon lifter-free tuneup stuff too. Using Penrite HPR30. Old oil was black but defs not milky or anything, headgasket done about 50,000kms ago according to previous owner.

any ideas?

what do you mean by "proper flush" ?

meaning i actually used nulon engine flush and let it drain for ages haha

Well today it had 2 FREEZING cold starts, no smoke at all on either of them...it just seems to do it randomly...

Thanks for the above suggestions, I do not have the tools or knowledge to do those things though...do you guys have any mechanics you can recommend for me to get to check it out, or is it not worth it? After resorting to a random mechanic for a couple of issues on my 180sx I am VERY VERY wary of mechanics' abilities...i swear I knew more than that guy, and in all honesty I really don't know very much apart from the basics...he actually screwed up a bunch of things, and I had to spend ages on the phone to managers etc to get them to eventually send out someone else to fix all the other guys problems (didn't plug some things back in, didn't screw bits on properly etc etc, caused an epic vacuum leak which f**k with the turbo)

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Paul09, this might be the point to start having a look - its really the only way to learn..I reckon I hit the same point of frustration with mechanics and thought stuff it - how hard can it be? I started off with small stuff, these days I change engines, suspension, you name it...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

Get yourself a cheap compression tester ($20) and check each cylinder, see if the rings are gone or cracked head/gasket. Probably wouldnt hurt to replace the oxy sensor too as it has a lot to do with your fuel delivery once warmed up, could explain the stalling. Subaru sell a great top end cleaner spray it into the intake plus in the spark plug holes right onto the piston head, helps free rings but most likely wont fix the problem.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:40 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

tell your mate to take it to a mechanic or throw a match in it

Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Tightened the alternator belt today, screeching on startup all gone AND oil pressure problem on startup gone! :)

But still blew epic smoke this morning.

Been monitoring coolant and oil. I'm fairly sure it's not losing coolant, couldn't see a difference over the past couple days. Oil, well it could be losing it a little bit? But the smoke definitely isn't blue and if it is losing oil it's not losing much, I'll keep checking levels and see how it goes

3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

highly recommend pressurising cooling system and if you think its oil doing a compression test...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:25 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

is it blowing epic amounts like this ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigTWRwMdJ4

Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
is it blowing epic amounts like this ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigTWRwMdJ4

Yes exactly like that, but doesn't start till about 10secs after turning engine on an only lasts 20-30secs. My smoke is whiter too

Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:48 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

in my case the rings were fried...

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3