Fordmods Logo

My cars at the mechanics and it ain't good! IT'S BACK!!! 

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

if it needs a new timing chain whats the rest of the motor like?

1993 EB GL Falcon 4.0L

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

cardinal_eb wrote:
if it needs a new timing chain whats the rest of the motor like?

Heads a brand new Tickford 94DT with Wade Cam and Crow springs just out on hence why I knoew the timing chain problem now, bottom end is still very very very very very fine!

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: buick

VIC, Australia

[quote="twr7cx"]
there our stores biggest clients (or the store I used to work at - I've changed stores now, but for those that don't know I'm a s**t kicker at Repco just casual, like do some delivery driving during the week and counter and phone work weekends and fridays).

I worked for Repco for many years including managing their import store they had in Bayswater Vic.
The counter guys were very badly paid at their stores. A casual? What they were paying its a wonder they got anyone to work on the counter.

But back on the subject I cannot work out why the mtr would be removed for a timing chain unless they dropped the chain or other patrs in the sump

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

ghiaman wrote:
I worked for Repco for many years including managing their import store they had in Bayswater Vic.
The counter guys were very badly paid at their stores. A casual? What they were paying its a wonder they got anyone to work on the counter.

Casuals get 33% more than full timers an hour, and so since I'm working the same amount of hours as them I'm getting a fair bit better pay! :D
I was offered a full time job there and they said I had good potential, after seeing there paychecks I'd much rather stick to uni lol!

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:33 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Quote:
Heads a brand new Tickford 94DT with Wade Cam and Crow springs

If these are new then i doubt they caused timing chain problem...... bigger profiles sometimes cause timing chain damage

which means the old head was shafted or theres somethin up in the bottom end

1993 EB GL Falcon 4.0L

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:34 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

or that little gay tensioner thing has rusted and caused the chain to slap around

1993 EB GL Falcon 4.0L

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

sorry, dunno why I said brand new, the springs and cam are, heads been fitted before, but has new valves and that, and was checked at the Repco Workshop.
As for the timing chain tensioner I replaced that as the old one had a crack in the cam sleeve of it!

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:27 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA mk11 XR6T UTE ,v8 fairmont gh

WA, Australia

Mate engine mounts can be changed by jacking up motor, I think his trying to do you over, have a surprise visit and see if the engine is out.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

twr7cx wrote:
fair enough then tickford_6, the way you put it sounds a lot nicer, but I was presuming taking the engine out and back was a few days work hence why I've been freaking out about cost!
I don't care what he does so long as it's fixed proper and I can afford it! I've got a maxed out credit card, eaten my savings and am borrowing money from the parents to pay for this (not a problem considering this is my 13th day of work in a row, just wish it didn't take so long to get paid!)!

dude if he over charges you i'll back you up the whole way. but yeah don't get too stressed until you get the bill

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

scar76 wrote:
Mate engine mounts can be changed by jacking up motor, I think his trying to do you over, have a surprise visit and see if the engine is out.

not necessarily, he seems to have pulled the engine out to do the chain, and saw the engine mounts were stuffed (and my god is he right, when the engine moves she moves the car, I love it but, reminds me of driving old cars). so i guess it's another minute for him to remove them off the chasis and then put new ones on and then put the engine in as aposed to putting the engine back on the old ones.

cheers Tickford_6

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

scar76 wrote:

the guy never said he would have to take the engine out again to do the mounts later.

if the engine is out it would be cheaper to put new mounts on now then to wait until it' back in then go back in a few weeks and have them fitted.

i think a few people could do with a few weeks work in mechanical workshop.
you might wake up to your selves, and give us break.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

well i called them today and it's still not ready. can't say I'm exactly estatic about that...

but then again it was held up on tuesday as new engine mounts couldn't be sourced (anywere in Hobart) till Wednesday morning. and then thursday was a public holidays, and i guess my car was never expected to take so long so I assume other cars were booked in that jumped it in the line. But still I'm wanting her back.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

went round there today on way home from work and she's all near back together, had a chat to them and one of the guides was broken aswell. will get it back tomorrow.
dang it's been a long time without it, but i'm hoping that's reflective in the price - i.e. that he's doing it when spare time and so won't charge me as much lol!
busting to get it back but, got heaps to do to it - new mags and tyres sitting here to be put on and few other odds and ends!

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Jesus, I would have asked him what the bill was up to at that stage.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Kit wrote:
Jesus, I would have asked him what the bill was up to at that stage.

picked the car up today - $450.00 later! charged me $20.00 an hour, so they reckon it took them 22 hours to change the timing chain! and that price doesn't include the parts which I supplied! seems bloody steap to me!
the bottom guide was broken aswell. at least the engine runs quiet now.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next