Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: My ED Revving high
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 94 ED Classic

New Zealand

Hi Everyone,

I recently had my ED serviced and asked my mechanic about my ED reving high when in rev or drive. He told me there is no adjustment as the computer controls the idle. I belive he is quite correct, but there must be something else causing this, can anyone offer a suggestion ? Any advice would be appreciated.

'93 EBII Fairmont, 4.0 Magenta, LTD pepper pots Standard Fairmont extras, ABS,Smartlock etc. (One of the last EB2's registered in NZ)

'94 ED Futura Classic , 4.0. White, Classic Body Kit. Slotted discs. Koni Shocks. 16' Alloys . (One of the last ED's registered in NZ)

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

The rev at idle should be 625 RPM to 675 RPM and can be adjusted as "Base Idle" on the side of the throttle body is a grub screw about 15 mm long that adjusts the idle, piss your mechanic off and find someone who knows what they are doing.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Thanks for the reply opto. Will chack the rev's tomorrow in Park, and through D,3,2,1. Seems to be rev the highest in rev 'n D.

'93 EBII Fairmont, 4.0 Magenta, LTD pepper pots Standard Fairmont extras, ABS,Smartlock etc. (One of the last EB2's registered in NZ)

'94 ED Futura Classic , 4.0. White, Classic Body Kit. Slotted discs. Koni Shocks. 16' Alloys . (One of the last ED's registered in NZ)

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:28 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

opto wrote:
The rev at idle should be 625 RPM to 675 RPM and can be adjusted as "Base Idle" on the side of the throttle body is a grub screw about 15 mm long that adjusts the idle, piss your mechanic off and find someone who knows what they are doing.

Likewise yourself may need to have a double think before you start offering suggestions. Somebody has probably done what you have suggested and now the car is over revving at idle.

The idle speed controller must be disconnected before adjusting the base idle.

Start the car, unplug the ISC, hopefully she still idles. But seeing at its over revving at idle im guessing the screw has been turned in and it will idle. Now adjust the screw in or out until you get that 625 to 675 rpm idle range. Preferably use a good external tacho, as the clusters can be unreliable, but for this purpose, it should be ok. I tend to aim for the the lower of the 2, but not below it, as it makes sure revs will be as low as possible during the P to D or R shifts, to reduce the banging into gear.

Then plug the ISC back in and it should be all good.

EF/EL's have a requirement for the the car to be in base timing mode when you make the idle adjustments. I dont know if its the same for the ED's.

Also may be that the timing is a little advanced. This will cause a slightly higer idle as well, but the idle will generally learn around that.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Thanks for your suggestion arm79.
Comparing with my EB2 the idle speed is the same, but when selecting d or r it rev's 200rpm faster that the eb2. Will try what you suggested. Thanks very much.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

I find with my EL that the screw is turned all the way out and the throttle plate is completely closed. So only the ISC is controlling the idle.

The ECU will hold the idle at say 800rpm in park whether the screw is set to 800rpm or not. The only difference is the ISC will close so it keeps it preset idle.

But when you put it into D, the ISC closes more to try for its 650rpm idle, but the screw is set to 800rpm, so it will idle near the 800rpm mark.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Look arm 79 whether you have the ISC plugged in or not its not going to matter.

Secondly read what the hell EBIIGT said which is his mechanic told him there was no adjustment.

SSSHHEEESSHH

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

check for codes first
before fu**king with idle base screws

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

opto wrote:
Look arm 79 whether you have the ISC plugged in or not its not going to matter.

Secondly read what the hell EBIIGT said which is his mechanic told him there was no adjustment.

SSSHHEEESSHH

Ah well... Each to their own. There is a right way and a wrong way. Just so happen Ford and I both agree that you are wrong. It does make a fairly large difference to the way the idle behaves, specially if you have the original cam. If you have an aftermarket cam, then you can take these liberties.

Agreed his mech was a bit of a tosser suggesting there is no adjustment, but if you're going to offer a suggestion to fix a problem, at least make it accuracte.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]